Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Can you point to which motors with the sludge issues? I can only speak to Mobil1 up to around 2002 when I left the company as I was not involved with other brands. I don't recall us having any specific problems as long as the oil was changed at proper intervals.
    Toyota 3.0 , Saab 2.0 / 2.3, VW 4cylinder. After reading a bit it might be originally all conventional or semi-synthetic factory oil recommendation. I know Saab issued multiple PCV changes and full synthetic oil changes at 5-7K .

Toyotas don't need service. They need
    experience.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Toyota 3.0 , Saab 2.0 / 2.3, VW 4cylinder. After reading a bit it might be originally all conventional or semi-synthetic factory oil recommendation. I know Saab issued multiple PCV changes and full synthetic oil changes at 5-7K .
    My apologies, I don't have any specific recollection of those. Turbo's ushered in the widespread use of synthetic oils to cope with the higher temps. With the advent of more synthetic oil usage some engineers tried go with smaller sumps than they used with conventional oil. That had the effect of consuming the additive package (dispersants and detergents which minimize sludge collecting) faster than the oil was designed for. I don't know if those engines were caught up in that?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

At some time, I believe synthetic oils changed from a certain kind of base stock (non crude) to another, derived from crude in some form. I remember endless BITOG discussions on it.

These days, full synthetic can be bought on sale for less than dino juice oil - $2/qt or less. I stock up during sales/rebates time.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

TGR Forums TRITOG discussion

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    TGR Forums TRITOG discussion
    Yeah people keep asking questions and I feel compelled to answer. I should quit I suppose. But would it be rude? I'm always fascinated how controversial this topic is.

@El Chupa. Yeah, Castrol fucked it all up. They introduced a cheaper, tortured dino oil version and the FTC declared they could label synthetic. Prior to that, PAO's ruled. I may be mistaken on this as it relates to present but IIRC Europe did not allow the same interpretation and the Euro versions were the old (better) formulas.

differences in tribal knowledge passed down, differences in manufacturer's service intervals/fluid used currently and previously, personal preferences based on budget and supply makes for an absolute shitshow for any definitive definitions for DIY maintenance. I always like to defer to OEM specs, but there is the gray area of trying to avoid any past known problems with the published intervals and fluids.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    At some time, I believe synthetic oils changed from a certain kind of base stock (non crude) to another, derived from crude in some form. I remember endless BITOG discussions on it.

These days, full synthetic can be bought on sale for less than dino juice oil - $2/qt or less. I stock up during sales/rebates time.
    Most used PAO base stock before switching to dino base. I think some Pennzoil stuff is natural gas based, at least partially.

You can still get PAO based oils (Amsoil), and POE based (Redline), but they're pricey and probably not worth it for street use. Kirkland synthetic FTW.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

The Mobil European Formula 0w40 used to be one of the only commonly available oils that met German manufacturer specs. It was supposed to be PAO/Group IV based.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    The Mobil European Formula 0w40 used to be one of the only commonly available oils that met German manufacturer specs. It was supposed to be PAO/Group IV based.
    Makes sense. A 40w delta on a Grp 3 base I don't think could be done economically.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    differences in tribal knowledge passed down, differences in manufacturer's service intervals/fluid used currently and previously, personal preferences based on budget and supply makes for an absolute shitshow for any definitive definitions for DIY maintenance. I always like to defer to OEM specs, but there is the gray area of trying to avoid any past known problems with the published intervals and fluids.
    Good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Let's review the original question posted by whateverthefuckhisnameis.

My answer: Yes.

I don't know a lot of shit about most things, but occasionally something here falls in my wheelhouse. So for the rest of you who can't wrap your head around my answer because your daddy and his daddy before him always changed their oil at 3000 miles and you want to carry on the family tradition, carry on, I don't care.
    Turns out there's this cool little door right in front of the passenger seat where I found this super neat novel called 'The Owners Manual'. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210715_214335214.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	938.4 KB 
ID:	379583
    I wonder if my dad......or his dad before him....penned this prose?

So your point is that a lot has changed in 30 yrs?

Figures that's all you can come up with
    Actually, to reiterate, because I did already state this, the point was, CHECK YOUR OWNERS MANUAL for oil recs, not some internet doosh(me included)
    Do you finally comprehend the point?

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Figures that's all you can come up with
    Actually, to reiterate, because I did already state this, the point was, CHECK YOUR OWNERS MANUAL for oil recs, not some internet doosh(me included)
    Do you finally comprehend the point?
    https://www.toyotaofsantabarbara.com...ce-oil-change/

Toyota specifically says Tacoma’s using synthetic can go to 10k, the 5k is conventional oil.

Except if you live in Canada and then the Instant Lube places sticker you for 5K KMs. People don't even realize they can go 8K KMs with regular oil here.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    https://www.toyotaofsantabarbara.com...ce-oil-change/

Toyota specifically says Tacoma’s using synthetic can go to 10k, the 5k is conventional oil.
    Except the OP clearly states in post #36 that his book says 5k for severe conditions, the conditions in which he operates his truck
    Do you all not read. Words mean shit.

Tuco, since I feel myself turning into PureGravity on this, I raise the white flag in surrender.

Edit: look who just stopped by... I'll let him take it from here.

Hey man, you go back to my original post. All I recommended was looking at severe duty conditions in his owners manual w/ an example. You jumped all over my shit.
    Funny part was/is, is that you were wrong. Dude said his manual said 5k.
    I propose you take it up w/ the Toyota engineers and warranty dept.

What kind of soup is best for severe duty conditions?
    I still call it The Jake.

Look in the owners manual

Every time I go to open the glove box the bowl spills everywhere.
    I still call it The Jake.

Maybe go to vapes while in the vehicle?

Stews and chilies may be more helpful to a man on the go then the soups. Less prone to sloshing.

Pemmican?

Pangolin flakes in bat milk, pretty sure.