Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Ok, whatever, Benny hates rich people. But, still, jfc, did you see the whole spaceship flight and post news conference? Are these people trying to start a revolution? He's all giggly, "I'm doing this now so that your grandchildren can in the future", uh, what the fuck, maybe your rich ass grandkids in between coke sex orgies, Richard, but, not ours. Temperatures breaking records all over the American west, reservoirs empty, condos falling into the sea, and we are watching these grown up boys swing their dicks at each other? Who, btw, probably paid zip in taxes for ten years. We're doomed, doomed, I say.
    This account is right up your alley

https://twitter.com/RBReich

The little man speaks the truth.

I was just thinking. Didn't we do the same thing Branson just did with the X15 like 60 years ago, and then decided that rockets were a better idea?

The little man speaks the truth.

I was just thinking. Didn't we do the same thing Branson just did with the X15 like 60 years ago, and then decided that rockets were a better idea?
    Yeah, it’s really not impressive given the history. The problem is that people are ignorant and don’t know history.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Yeah, it’s really not impressive given the history. The problem is that people are ignorant and don’t know history.

Even after Hollywood concocted a major movie based on a best selling book about it all.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Gamestop traders are all, pfffft.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    this is nothing new.
    Indulge my ignorance: who, doing what, was the previous version of this?…in, say…1980? 1960? 1940? Etc..

Serious question. I tend to doubt there’s an equivalent, but I have no idea and it would be interesting to see how my instinct is wrong and kind of put this seemingly-extraordinary bezos/branson douche-athon in proper historical context.

See, I’m admittedly ignorant…don’t know the history.

It’s summer, you smart fucks, learn me some richguy history!
    My mind is all spongy and absorbent today…bring it on!

^^^ They did the same thing in 2004, it took 17 years to add four seats.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansari_X_Prize

Anyone else disgusted by Richard Branson?

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    See, I’m admittedly ignorant…don’t know the history.

It’s summer, you smart fucks, learn me some richguy history!
    My mind is all spongy and absorbent today…bring it on!
    For a quick start guide watch the Right Stuff. Then start googling. All the early supersonic flights were launched from a mother vehicle. X1 etc etc.

The X-15 achieved an altitude higher than Branson in 1962

Yeah, but, Warren makes money.

And, he pays a little tax, and has pledged his fortune to charity, not space rocket toys.
    Dude sounds like a right loser. But it's his money to spend as he sees fit. Can't wait to take a ride in one of those spaceship thingamahjigs. I'll wait until the price comes down, and they can actually get you at least one orbit around the Earth, or at least land in Australia. I mean what the hell is the point in going in to space and landing at the same spot you took off from.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Dude sounds like a right loser. But it's his money to spend as he sees fit. Can't wait to take a ride in one of those spaceship thingamahjigs. I'll wait until the price comes down, and they can actually get you at least one orbit around the Earth, or at least land in Australia. I mean what the hell is the point in going in to space and landing at the same spot you took off from.
    Yes, exactly.

Don't hold your breath over getting to Australia in a few minutes, though. Take some sleeping aids and ride business class if getting there is so important.

The Fairfield lemonade stands must be up and running again which has set Bunz off as usual.

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I mean what the hell is the point in going in to space and landing at the same spot you took off from.
    Pumping up your brand to bolster stock price with an intent to sell in order to avoid bankruptcy?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

But it's his money to spend as he sees fit.
    Is it really? No one becomes a billionaire without the help of massive public investment in research and technology. That, and a bit of luck.

In Seattle, land of billionaires, getting upset on how they spend (or won't spend) their money is nothing new. Paul Allen reluctantly bought the Seahawks when they were about to move to LA (Bill Gates could give two fucks if they left). No one stepped in when Howard Shultz was complaining about the Sonics not making him enough money (just as he sold the team for record profits). People have pressed Allen to put a lid on I-5 to help connect the Capital Hill neighborhood with downtown (instead he gave us sterile, corporate Amazonland in South Lake Union). Bezos is not a true PNWer so people don't expect much from him. But Gates and Allen are born and raised here. The law school at UW is named after Bill Gates' Dad. Do something that actually helps the PNW. People are excited that the wives and sisters are finally getting to call the shots.

Personally, I would like to see more focus on private land conservation. The entire coastline of Puget Sound and Strait of Juan De Fuca is privately owned (unlike coastline in CA, OR, and Hawaii). I would like to see them buy up all the private land along the beach and donate it back to public trust (so people can actually walk along the beach here without trespassing). This would be something that would make them forever loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    The Fairfield lemonade stands must be up and running again which has set Bunz off as usual.

Walking to the pool yesterday we passed a lemonade stand set up by the neighbors kids. $1 for a plastic cup and no ice.

I happily bought some for me and my boy but I have to admit, the price of roadside Country Time has skyrocketed since I was a kid.

The stand didn't look anything like cargo shorts' up there.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Is it really? No one becomes a billionaire without the help of massive public investment in research and technology. That, and a bit of luck.
    You forgot to mention an obsessive desire to avoid paying a tax of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    This account is right up your alley

https://twitter.com/RBReich
    If I did Twitter I'd follow him.

Seems his commercial space project has created lots of nice jobs

Not the worst way to blow your billions
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

For a quick start guide watch the Right Stuff. Then start googling. All the early supersonic flights were launched from a mother vehicle. X1 etc etc.

The X-15 achieved an altitude higher than Branson in 1962

Gotcha.
    I guess I meant more like the fact that it’s a super wealthy private individual doing it.

If Warren Buffet tested some little nuclear bomb, my point about it wouldn’tbe “hey, that’s nothing…we had bigger bombs in the 50s”…it would be that we’ve crossed some kind of rubicon where the wealthy operate completely outside any normal bounds of regulation, society. morality…whatever. Above a certain net worth it’s a total free for all, which is something we should be eliminating, not celebrating.

What’s the carbon footprint of one of these space flights?

Not counting the gulfstream jet they used to commute to the launchpad.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    The return of Hamilton Nolan! That dude posted some inspired rants back when he wrote for Gawker/Valleywag.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    …it would be that we’ve crossed some kind of rubicon where the wealthy operate completely outside any normal bounds of regulation, society. morality…whatever.
    Been crossed awhile ago.

alea iacta est