Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I think this brings up the real question, which isn't will you continue to enjoy skiing.. but will you continue to ski enough to live in the mountains or would you prefer to live somewhere else and travel occasionally to ski?
    Exactly

@ the OP. I moved to PC from Indiana and started a 35 year stint in the mountains. I patrolled for a long time and put a lot of miles on my chassis and no longer have the fire to want to ski unless the conditions are good. I too question whether or not I could be satisfied on the groomers and not up high in the less gentrified terrain. Yeah I have lots of friends who have dialed it back and make the best of tamer terrain through the use of mind altering substances and a good attitude. I just don't think that will do it for me though. No answers, just a best of luck to ya.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Haven’t you all dialed it back already?

I’ve dialed it back and moderated “it” for a long time and in many stages. First dial back was after a trip to the ER on a backboard as a teen. Dialed it back again after personal close calls, or watching friends break themselves doing the same thing as me. Dialed it back after knee injuries and dialed it back up after recovery and being stronger. Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Haven’t you all dialed it back already?

I’ve dialed it back and moderated “it” for a long time and in many stages. First dial back was after a trip to the ER on a backboard as a teen. Dialed it back again after personal close calls, or watching friends break themselves doing the same thing as me. Dialed it back after knee injuries and dialed it back up after recovery and being stronger. Etc.
    Instead of dialing it back in the resort, ie don't ski bumps, etc.

Go backcountry skiing and ski steep couloirs.

You will get all the challenge you need, you will not tax your body, except for building endurance.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Has this been said yet?

No.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Has this been said yet?

No.
    Not clear, to me, what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by spanghew View Post
    Having had my hands xrayed a few times recently for relatively benign reasons, it was depressing to hear the young doctors cheerfully diagnose my finger joints as pre-arthritic and the inevitable reward for having lived this long. Doctors in general seem to think that geezers should just sit around passively observing their approaching demise to avoid answering "did you have any falls this week?" in the positive. Many nurses, too, seem disappointed to find a reasonable blood pressure and low pulse rate. I'm thinking of memorizing that Dylan Thomas poem to write on the obligatory questionnaires.
    After I broke my back they sent a PT to my house for a few visits. She had some suggestions about how I could rearrange things in my house to eliminate fall hazards but had no suggestions about what to do about the rocks and logs on the trail and off it or what to do when moguls get in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Instead of dialing it back in the resort, ie don't ski bumps, etc.

Go backcountry skiing and ski steep couloirs.

You will get all the challenge you need, you will not tax your body, except for building endurance.

I do that, too, but one of the incidents that resulted in dialing it back involved high speed couloir skiing with high speed tomahawks after loosing it on some alpine ice at speed. Thankfully, he was physically ok. None of us had phones or other means of getting support without an overnight exit and drive to town. We all dialed it back the remainder of the trip and I no longer ski in that style when I’m so far out there.

Better drug use can improve happiness on groomer zoomers.

Drop some acid and drop the knee :P
    Dropping the knee?
    You must be on acid.
    Op has bad knees
    . . .

Telemark only sucks when you run out of dope
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    After I broke my back they sent a PT to my house for a few visits. She had some suggestions about how I could rearrange things in my house to eliminate fall hazards but had no suggestions about what to do about the rocks and logs on the trail and off it or what to do when moguls get in the way.
    my wifes a pt
    try not to suck
    would be her suggestion
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I don’t care how good you are, everybody ends up on the groomers.

Usually the only way off the hill.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

why is knee replacement not an option ?? I am 66 years old 1.5 years after knee replacement and skiing better than I did ten years ago.......your experience may differ

Land why hate waiting at doctors offices. I just don’t get it. If you’re 15 minutes late they want to cancel the appointment and charge you but then they have no problem making you wait an hour after your scheduled appointment to see the doctor. I have a 10 o’clock appointment with my orthopod. There is a guy sitting next to me who has a 915 appointment with the same doctor. Neither of us have been seen yet. Hi IMHO this is unprofessional
    …No wonder why they are sure to collect your co-pay immediately upon arriving
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I get up and start walking around, opening cabinets and drawers, going behind the counter, looking at computers. That gets their attention real quick.

I waited for an hour and fifteen minutes in the waiting room to be seen by Dr. Lind's PA, but I left encouraged. X-rays revealed degenerative changes and narrowing in the joint, but I knew that going in. Good ROM. Only tacit mention of "partial replacement, but not at this time." Recommendation of steroid and hyaluronic acid (3) injections. Steroids offer short term relief (a couple of weeks) and HA may do nothing. This is something to consider. Right now, I am just thinking steroid at the end of Nov. No mention of MRI, or PT.
    Maybe I just have a low tolerance for pain. Maybe, I am just an old fart who will have this ailment for the rest of my days.
    It looks like I am good for ski season, and skiing as usual.
    ....screw that 1.25 hr. wait though
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Better drug use can improve happiness on groomer zoomers.

Drop some acid and drop the knee :P
    Did you mean groomer boomers?

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    I get up and start walking around, opening cabinets and drawers, going behind the counter, looking at computers. That gets their attention real quick.
    for fastest attention, just break your own fucking leg right then and there. works like a charm.
    swing your fucking sword.

I had an ortho surgeon who was obviously always 2 hrs late so I just a book or magazine, when he said " sorry I'm late "

I said "no Tim you are always 2 hrs late so i got a book" he had a rather sheepish look, some time docs get tangled up on shit that happens thru the day but Tim was already late for a 10am
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

If I'm the patient before you with an emergency that causes a delay ...... not sorry.
    Always factor in the fact that the later in the day your appointment, the greater the odds are that they're behind schedule.
    Corollary: NEVER, EVER, schedule surgery, or any procedure for that matter e.g. GI scan, for the afternoon.

I wonder if there's any way to communicate to a person that there's a delay caused by an emergency or some other reason? Does such a thing exist?

Not formally to my knowledge, however, I've been told by staff several times that this had been the case and I've seen no reason not to believe them. Most of the time they're pretty tight lipped about it though - they've simply been "busy". When you'e processing 30 patients a day, a few minutes here and there adds up pretty fast.

I once walked into the Park City Instacare with 3 inches of my shin blown open to the bone. The receptionist had her face buried in her screen when I walked in and could only see me from the waist up when she looked up. She asked what I needed to be seen for, and I said I needed some stitches and lifted my leg up. Her eyes got quite large and she immediately called for the nurse and then told several other people in the lobby that there was an emergency situation that they were going to have to wait behind. I appreciated the service.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Not formally to my knowledge, however, I've been told by staff several times that this had been the case and I've seen no reason not to believe them. Most of the time they're pretty tight lipped about it though - they've simply been "busy". When you'e processing 30 patients a day, a few minutes here and there adds up pretty fast.
    Sarcasm isn't a strong suit? Until then - the spoken word works for communication, up until recently I guess.

Sarcasm: check
    Comprehension: not check <red face>