Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks, but no thanks. I just have no reason in my mind right now to consider it

I do have a consult with Dr. Lind next month. I will probably just be quiet listen to his recommendations and make a decision

If I was AC’s age and was having debilitating knee(or hip) issues, I may be more open to the idea of replacement. Hope she’s doing well. All the best
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

OP doesnt want the solution, he’s afraid of it.

Do you love your fears or skiing more?

FIN

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

I will just wait until I hear what a doc has to say.
    I'm not really thinking in those terms, right now.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    If I was AC’s age and was having debilitating knee(or hip) issues, I may be more open to the idea of replacement. Hope she’s doing well. All the best
    It's been completely life-changing. See what the doc says, there's no reason to rush into this. As noted, your insurance probably won't cover a TKR unless you have full Stage 4 OA and it doesn't sound like you're there. Also, Tylenol 3s aren't anti-inflammatories; acetaminophen and codeine aren't NSAIDs.

The old crusty guy that I know who had double tkr found new life. He’s a fit and hard living type (life long car mechanic; heats home with wood since childhood that he fells, gathers, splits himself; dirtbikes; hunter; etc.) He claims that he was pretty indestructible until a little over 50. His rehab took a while, but he’s back to hunting and trail riding.

Armchair dentist advice isn’t good enough?
    . . .

I do not recommend a TKR to most but if you're where I was then it, in my opinion is the absolute best and life changing thing you can do. All these other things that are recommend are just delaying the inevitable and sometimes just put a temporary band aid on things.
    Yes I'm only 40 and I'm over a year out from my TKR but I was miserable and not skiing and hardly biking and definitely NO hiking downhill before it. I had to stop teaching spin and basically modify everything in the gym not to mention my hip and other knee starting hurting pretty bad. My knee ached and ached all day and night and I was popping IB like crazy, that was no good. If you're not there yet, just keep doing what you can.
    Also, I highly recommend that those of you that hear these horror stories try to do more in depth research into what a TKR is now and what is used. Fine a really, really good doc that comes very highly recommended and that is somewhat young like Dr Davis here in PC. Things are moving quickly and are so advanced now that if you're healthy and fit going into it, that's the way you will recover. I was in the worst pain ever for about 2 weeks and didn't sleep great for 2 months but it has been the BEST decision I have made to make my overall daily life better.
    I'm back to teaching spin, coaching group training and able to demo every exercise without pain and biggest and most of all there is ZERO, and I mean zero pain and aching now. I can actually hike downhill which I haven't been able to do pain free in what seems like 10 years. Also, back to skiing with NO pain!
    you sketchy character, you

AC, thanks for chipping in. I am happy that you are feeling fit, but sad about what you have gone thru. Always wishing you the best.

I just got a new active puppy. No way that I can be sidelined for the next year. I’m walking her 5-7 miles/day, so that also says something about the severity of my knee ailment

professional negligence lawn
    Describes my yard perfectly.

A lot of editors around here. Thanks!

Huh? you should see the grass out there right now. Might be a few tumbleweeds mixed in.

AC, thanks for chipping in. I am happy that you are feeling fit, but sad about what you have gone thru. Always wishing you the best.

I just got a new active puppy. No way that I can be sidelined for the next year. I’m walking her 5-7 miles/day, so that also says something about the severity of my knee ailment
    Glad to hear that you're still able to get around enough to cover that milage; definitely sounds like it's not time yet for a TKR. Given that level of activity, your ski days are certainly still meaningful, albeit not exactly blowing the doors off. Enjoy the less frenetic pace, it's all good. If you find yourself feeling down as things wind down, just go out for a walk with your dog. It's my go to remedy.

One year in Salt Lake my yard was complete yellow and I was heading out for fires before pioneer day. I was worried my yard might catch fire and burn my house while I was gone, so I proactively burned it off myself before I left.

Black lawn!
    I was so proud of myself.

Black lawns matter?
    . . .

Well good news if you aren’t there yet,

But seriously do what needs done when time comes. You CAN wreck other things by not fixing the knee(s).

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthoski View Post
    On the other hand, the ability to draw joy simply by being in the mountains. Well, if you can figure that one out, works every time.
    pretty much what he said if you do it right it works my knees disappeared years ago you don't need knees to enjoy life its when the vital organs start failing shit gets real

what does meaningful mean ?

probably different for each of us,

I plan to be back on skis with a repaired knee this season but I am under no illusions it will be the same as it was but
    still expect to be doing something
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

This is how it is defined in the OP:
    able to ski hard, 4 hours/day, steeps, chop, pow, some moguls, chair to chair without stopping, climbing uphill and taking smallish jumps without too much thought.

able to ski hard, 4 hours/day, steeps, chop, pow, some moguls, chair to chair without stopping, climbing uphill and taking smallish jumps without too much thought.
    Yeah - they're probably over.

That’s real skiing. But groomer cruising can also be meaningful.

Watch the old fossils at your hill that are still smiling. Learn from them.
    . . .

I like skiing. It is why I did a 180 with my life and moved to Park City. I'm not sure that I want to be one of those "old fossils" and I am not sure that skiing groomers (even quality corduroy) 90% of the time will do it for me personally. The day that I can't ski Baldy, or hike Superior or Murdochs, or ski X-files or Evergreen will be a very sad one for me. If I am quasi-sedentary, I might as well live on The Cape and land the occasional striper or bluefish.

I like skiing. It is why I did a 180 with my life and moved to Park City. I'm not sure that I want to be one of those "old fossils" and I am not sure that skiing groomers (even quality corduroy) 90% of the time will do it for me personally. The day that I can't ski Baldy, or hike Superior or Murdochs, or ski X-files or Evergreen will be a very sad one for me. If I am quasi-sedentary, I might as well live on The Cape and land the occasional striper or bluefish.
    I think I see the problem. Fortuanately, you've identified the probable solution.

Yep, I'm sure that skiing means more to you than to me. Otherwise, what is the point? I LIKE skiing enough to ski 75-100 days of Wasatch goodness each and every year for the past 15+ years. I LIKE skiing enough to uproot a life that many would lust for at age 48 to live in the mountains of UT. I LIKE skiing enough to spend much of my time on this board with you JONGS. I RESPECT skiing enough to ponder whether I really want to spend my late 60s-80s lah-dee-dahing down groomers at DV and Alta. I can always do that on vacation.
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 07-23-2021 at 01:37 PM.

Better drug use can improve happiness on groomer zoomers.

Drop some acid and drop the knee :P

I RESPECT skiing enough to ponder whether I really want to spend my late 60s-80s lah-dee-dahing down groomers at DV and Alta. I can always do that on vacation.
    I think this brings up the real question, which isn't will you continue to enjoy skiing.. but will you continue to ski enough to live in the mountains or would you prefer to live somewhere else and travel occasionally to ski?

Either way you don't give up the sport altogether, but one way you might enjoy non-skiing days more?