Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ratchet/Socket Set

I have two motorcycles now, and I need a socket set. I also have a new(to me) house in Centro, and I need a tool set. I had a few sets of Knipex pliers a few years back, and I understand that you get what you pay for. Any wisdom from the collective? I could buy a cheap set from Home Depot for $100, then move it down to Nicaragua and use it at the house. I could also build up a nice set here, then take it down there and have it stolen. I'd love to get a set from either place I could pass down to a kid. Money isn't super solid these days, but I have a set of t-handle sockets to use till I sort this out.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

For me it boils down to how often I am using it. All the time? I spend for the good stuff. Not often? Then not so much. My socket set was cheap as fuck and works fine when I need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

^ Agree. I bought a decent set of Craftsman tools in 1992 when I moved back from Europe. I use the socket set 2-3 times per month and never had to replace anything. Same with screwdriver and wrench set I bought. If you're a pro and use your tools every day then it makes sense to buy Snap-on or the like but for the average Joe, just buy a decent set and you'll be good.

I agree except for the "like Snap-on".

Plenty of good tools out there that are not an arm and a leg.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Craftsman has really gone downhill unfortunately. I have some old stuff and new stuff and the new stuff is cheap.

For a bike you need torque wrenches and t-handle drivers in addition to a standard socket set. After getting fed up with the new Craftsman stuff, I got turned on to Tekton by a motorcycle mechanic and bought some stuff. It's really well made and reasonably priced--like old Craftsman. The torque wrenches are built like tanks.

Also if its a Jap bike that has Phillips head type screws make sure you get JIS bits for the t-handle--the shitty Phillips head bits you get with HD or Lowes kits will cam out and strip the screws. Most new bikes use hex or star points now. I've been using the Wera bits and they fit really well on my bike. But others like Milwaukee, etc. are good too...just don't buy Husky, Harbor Freight or some shit like that.

For most other bike tools hit up Motion Pro. The Motion Pro Spinner T-Handle Bit Driver is my favorite bike tool after my torque wrenches.
    https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0556

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Timberridge; 07-08-2021 at 07:26 AM.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Lots of brands out there that offer at much less than Snap-on or the mechanics truck tools budget and the other estreme of something like a Pittsburgh brand from Harbor Freight or cheapest of China socket set that would be under $10 for their entry level socket set....

Craftsman was the go to at one time (they are owned and made by Stanley/Black and Decker parent company now), but there is Husky, Gearwrench, SK, Sunex, Tekton, and others maybe- Proto, Wera, Titan, Crescent, Channellock, DeWalt, Milwaukee, etc.. Then you have the house brands like Kobalt (of course Craftman used to be Sears house brand with lifetime warranty, etc.) If you go Harbor Freight, do an Icon or one of their better line-ups than the Pittsburgh ones.

Do you just need a pretty basic set- or the couple hundred piece with 1/4 inch, 3/8 inch, and 1/2 inch drive and SAE and metric, the deep reach sockets, extensions etc. Need also any impact sockets? Chrome or what type of material also can matter to some uses.
    Last edited by RShea; 07-08-2021 at 06:48 PM.

For occasional use on low torque applications, the stuff from Harbor Freight is totally fine. They have some socket/ratchet sets that are mid range and the tolerances are acceptable.

If you're working with rusty or stuck bolts, higher torqued bolts, need better tolerances...buy the good stuff. Snap-On, Matco, Mac, Proto, Cornwell, Wiha, Wera, Hazet, etc.

Have to agree with the comments so far. If you're going pro and use everyday, there are a lot of nice and costly options. Harbor Freight tools are 2020 version Craftsman, are cheap and have a lifetime warranty. OK, they're not a thing of beauty and a joy forever, but fully adequate for a part time mechanic, and my experience with Harbor Freight has been superb - no questions asked.

They also have a very significant social conscience and support their local communities so I'm pleased to buy from them.

I have a lot of older Craftsman hand tools, and agree that the older stuff is a lot nicer than current stuff. Part of the reason I bought Craftsman back then was the easy warranty replacement - but if OP is moving these tools to Nicaragua, warranty replacement on anything is going to be tougher.

If buying a set of decent hand tools today, and living in the US, I'd probably pick Kobalt (Lowe's) or Husky (Home Depot). Both are currently nicer than Craftsman. Also wait for Black Friday and buy a mega kit deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

The Snap-on guy would come round to shops to sell mechanics the tools on credit, and give them a donut

Snap-on are nice tools and apparently some tools did fit where others brands did not quite but they arent worth 4X as much IMO

I had a neighbor who had been a dealer he said he almost made it but went back to pulling wrenches instead

Craftsmen was always a good brand and if you had any issue just go to Sears and they give you a new one
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I would have just bought from Sears years ago, but the distance to the nearest Sears from my place is about an hour drive, now. In Nica, I think a Husky set would make sense. You can get a ton done with low quality tools you don't use regularly. Kind of wish I'd payed attention to what they have for sale down there. I can message family for that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Also wait for Black Friday and buy a mega kit deal.
    Black Friday is 4 months away. If you can't wait that long, check Den of Tools on Facebook for discussion on deals and sales. Also check occasionally sites like slickdeals.net under their Home category, tools deals and you will find some clearance or sale much sooner. Maybe not rock bottom Black Friday, but there are a few Christmas in June and July. You may find something like this or similar that would meet your needs:

https://slickdeals.net/f/15128020-hu...?src=catpagev2 This is now expired as it was a Independence Day sale...

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    The Snap-on guy would come round to shops to sell mechanics the tools on credit, and give them a donut

Snap-on are nice tools and apparently some tools did fit where others brands did not quite but they arent worth 4X as much IMO

I had a neighbor who had been a dealer he said he almost made it but went back to pulling wrenches instead

Craftsmen was always a good brand and if you had any issue just go to Sears and they give you a new one
    There are no more Sears or KMarts most places. Maybe a franchised Sears Home Store (that sells limited items) and they may honor the warranty. That is a unicorn search for most to find a Sears open. But since Sears is no longer the owner of Craftsman brand, you can get their line up a Lowes, and some other locations. Lowes is supposed to honor warranty on Craftsman, but the item has to have a similar product to replace it with. Or in the case of the socket handles, they have the mechanical rebuild kit to replace the ratchet etc. But if the tool is older and there is not a similar replacement part they may refuse from stories I've read. You can contact Stanley/B&D about warranty issues also directly.

Sears craftsman warranty was legend.

It’s done.

Snap on is a rape van with fancy decoration
    . . .

fwiw: I’d like Bobmc to post in this thread.

well notice i did say " was "

I took a ratchet in that was found under the rad of an old truck so rusted it was almost unrecognisable as a Sears product, she reached under the desk and handed me a rebuild kit from a box full, i still use it

they also did the 12.95 alignment, the HS shop did have alignment equipment hanging on the wall but after replacing front end parts the shop teacher handed me a tape measure said " inch of toe-in, then we drive it down and get sears to do it, sure we got the tools but they can do a better job faster for 12.95 $ "
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-09-2021 at 10:09 AM.

ACE Hardware sells Craftsman now too.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I have a Sears 1/2in socket set set. After some years the ratchet failed. I went to the local Sears and the clerk reached under the counter and handed me a new one. I guess they had a lot of failed ratchets. The new one has lasted 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    well notice i did say " was "

I took a ratchet in that was found under the rad of an old truck so rusted it was almost unrecognisable as a Sears product, she reached under the desk and handed me a rebuild kit from a box full, i still use it

they also did the 12.95 alignment, the HS shop did have alignment equipment hanging on the wall but after replacing front end parts the shop teacher handed me a tape measure said " inch of toe-in, then we drive it down and get sears to do it, sure we got the tools but they can do a better job faster for 12.95 $ "
    "inch"?

I went to Cass Tech HS in Detroit. They had an auto shop about twice the size of a Sears shop. They had a two-story room where kids were building a little house. Wish I hadn't had to take all that English and Math to get into college.

yeah this was not the teach's first rodeo, so after replacing parts use a tape measure to set the front end up with one inch of toe-in so the car would be drive-able enough to get to the sears shop where a real mechanic with a real front end machine would get it perfect

Front ends have a bit of toe-in or least back then they did

we did this with a buddies 62 Chevy II at the garage where I pumped gas, after we replaced every front end part for a parts total of < 70$, drive it to sears for the 12.95$ alignment, i think that garage might have also had the alignment equipment but sears was just better

IMO you were probably better off staying in school, becoming an MD, making enough money to pay a real mechanic, its kinda like subbing out the front end alignment to Sears if you think about it
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-09-2021 at 03:20 PM.

I just went Gearwrench to replace a dead handle I finally killed. I think it’s worth it to buy a decent, but not snap on level, handle. But just get cheap sockets unless you are wrenching all the time or like really nice tools more than other things you can buy with your money.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I think XXX-er hit the nail on the head about being able to pay a real mechanic. I decided on a Wera Tool Check for the bike, and I'll take my time figuring out the set for Nica. I have to say, nothing in tools really caught my eye until I saw the Wera Joker set. That is really something.

It's probably better to just suck it up in Nicaragua and pay for labor rather than doing major tasks myself.

I have an Uncle that got covid at Vail Mountain Club, and passed away the beginning of last year. He had an impressive tool collection, as well as some nice guns. I'm hoping I can get a hold of some of that, even if it's junk. Sentimental value and whatnot.

IBM used to buy Snap-on so i got some I could just order it from parts for free but i wouldn't buy it myself, I can afford to buy new cars nowdays, I can tinker small things and major bike rebuilds cost me a 6-pak

Before my Dad passed away, he was buying from a company called Tekton. Not sure what their pricing was like, but my Dad was big on getting quality stuff.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Before my Dad passed away, he was buying from a company called Tekton. Not sure what their pricing was like, but my Dad was big on getting quality stuff.
    Tekton is a notch above some better known brands in most peoples opinion. Not as high end budget wise as the shop tool trucks like Snap-On, Mac, etc. but quality stuff for the money.