Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Those sego's are interesting! look a LOT like ld90's, maybe a little more taper in the tip?

I own both ld90's and bmt94's... definitely both 'cold dead hands' skis. Considering remounting the 94's for tlt7 boots, but it'd be the third heel mount....

WNDR alpine had a 95mm full reverse ski but they said they chose not to make it less than 1800g...

It took me a few days to truly believe that I could arc the shit out of ld90's and weightweenie boots, but on good corn they feel better going mach loony than billygoating

No personal experience but I’ve read good things about the Majesty Superwolf (91mm, 1400g at 184 r19) and older Werewolf (1360g @ 184 r26) in their carbon layups. Super wolf seems similar to the Orb Freebird but with a bit more tip.

https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...s-werewolf-clt

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Interesting, I’ll check out the wearwolf-intrigued by any light long radius ski.
    And yeah, I don’t really get the weight of the wndr vital, being that it’s marketed so much for touring. Although I guess it’s similar to the raven, which I own and like... so maybe it does make sense!

MTN Explore and Majesty Superwolf are basically the same ski.

I have the MTN Explore and love it for spring skiing / couloirs. Way more forgiving than a Zero G and edge hold inspires a ton of confidence.

Wasn't really a fan of the MTN 95 - I prefer stronger skis for firm snow. I like the Faction Prime 2.0, but it's a bit heavier than some of the skis mentioned above. It also requires a pretty skilled pilot.. I use my old LD102s when its powder, since they're lighter and ski powder well at speed.

Somebody needs to add the Volkl Rise 98 to this conversation. The tiny little bit of time I spent on them was very gratifying. Would like to put them through the paces in all the conditions.

I ski a lot of couloirs, both on the east side of Sierra and in France, and my go to ski is 112, when i don't know what to expect. (Katana)

Most of the time i ski 4k or more, so you encounter all sorts of conditions on the way down, so a narrow ski would be a chore when it gets slushy.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    Somebody needs to add the Volkl Rise 98 to this conversation. The tiny little bit of time I spent on them was very gratifying. Would like to put them through the paces in all the conditions.
    Can you compare to the BMT 94?

Only skied the Rise on bulletproof. For a super light ski it was completely competent and dependable. I'd be happy to have them on my feets in a firm cooly. Can't comment on any other type of conditions but, the rocker/camber profile as I recall looks an awful lot like an M5/M6 mantra so I'm speculating it will perform like a touring weight mantra in other conditions. BMT 94 is not quite as strong on ice (but still plenty predictable) and punches way above it's weight class in deeper snow. Think of them like a 94mm VW Katana....the rocker profile and stiffness are conspicuously similar. BMT 94 is a unicorn. Can't really think of anything I'd rather use in variable spring conditions.

Watcha yall think of the Dynafit Blacklight 95 for this use? Wish someone had a sideview of the rocker/camber/rocker. But stats for the 184 are 1390 gr, 21.5m radius, 450mm of tip rocker, 170mm of tail rocker - both rockers prob pretty low, but should keep most hookiness away in variable. I think the wider 95 version is new this year so limited info on it.
    https://www.dynafit.com/en-us/blackl...0004&c=1518578
    I'm also also looking at the new Dynastar M-tour 99, kinda similar. But again, frustrating when ski makers show a bunch of pics but no side profile. WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    Watcha yall think of the Dynafit Blacklight 95 for this use?
    I'd be comfortable being an early adopter for touring skis made by Blizzard and Volkl. They've been nailing pretty much every model the sell for a while. Maybe Voile belongs there too. They aren't my favorite but they're always good designs. You sort of know the skis will perform up to the specs.

I'd put Dynafit, G3 and BD in the opposite group. Too many turds over the years. They've had some good ones mixed in for sure, but I wouldn't buy a pair from those brands unless I'd heard a lot of good feedback from sources I trust. Dynafit has also sold some skis with serious durability issues.

^^^good point... hmmm, I dont like the flat tails on those volkl rises and wish they made a bmt between the 90 and 109. And I forgot why I'm shying from the ZG95. This is too hard

I actually thought those were gone, but the "dibs" is on the msp's looks like. Thx. Question in re the 2nd mount

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I'd be comfortable being an early adopter for touring skis made by Blizzard and Volkl. They've been nailing pretty much every model the sell for a while. Maybe Voile belongs there too. They aren't my favorite but they're always good designs. You sort of know the skis will perform up to the specs.

I'd put Dynafit, G3 and BD in the opposite group. Too many turds over the years. They've had some good ones mixed in for sure, but I wouldn't buy a pair from those brands unless I'd heard a lot of good feedback from sources I trust. Dynafit has also sold some skis with serious durability issues.
    Anecdotal, but I just listened to a Totally Deep podcast from Cripple Creek and they mentioned the Blacklight and Dynafit's lineup in general. I don't find Doug and Randy to be strong authorities with regard to freeskiing or charging, but they do move a lot of skis and have good insights into the industry. They made the point that, unlike most brands, Dynafit has been changing their ski's design and lineup every year or so for quite a while. Seemingly not finding the right fit, right durability, etc etc. While BD hasn't been a yearly change, I agree they fall into the same camp.

That said, I have a buddy who has been very happy with his 2019 Dynafit Carbonio 89 (20m, 1280g @ 182cm). He hasn't skied a ton of couloirs, but it's been a strong touring ski for it's weight.

I'll kinda resurrect this with two related couloir ski (and boot) questions... (And first, I ended up catching n releasing some LD90s, mostly letting go cuz I working around the existing holes was paralyzing.)
    1) Length - ie, how short can I go? 6'1, 175. My resort skis are 185-195, but I'm amazed how well my 181 CD104Ls do in deep snow. Don't need a couloir ski to handle deep snow. Could I go down to like a 172 if its on the stiff end (like a Blacklight Pro)? My default otherwise would be high 170s
    2) Boot - Ideally I'd also get a light boot, vs my Maestrale RSs which I use for everything (resort & bc) today. But my feet are hyper sensitive. Other than just carrying more weight, would the RSs over-power a ~1000 gr ski? Presumably stiffness will help on this?
    I actually think the CD104s can just do it all, but more and more trips with my 5-yr younger ultra runner brother has me yearning to drop some weight from my feet!

Tang,
    If you can afford the wait time, Marshal is running the preorder (dec delivery) for all the skis we've worked on since the last preorder.

BC90s sound pretty well up your alley. 90 waist, 28m sidecut in the 177.

https://heritagelabskis.com/products/bc-90

support the raddest project going: http://heritagelabskis.com

^^^ actually, yes I meant to mention that. That BC90 is also in the mix. My only hesitation is that its actually a bit too versatile! Or close to my other bc ski, given how light the cd104l is. But again, yes that ski is pretty dang intriguing, and I'd love to have an HL ski in the quiver.

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    I'll kinda resurrect this with two related couloir ski (and boot) questions... (And first, I ended up catching n releasing some LD90s, mostly letting go cuz I working around the existing holes was paralyzing.)
    1) Length - ie, how short can I go? 6'1, 175. My resort skis are 185-195, but I'm amazed how well my 181 CD104Ls do in deep snow. Don't need a couloir ski to handle deep snow. Could I go down to like a 172 if its on the stiff end (like a Blacklight Pro)? My default otherwise would be high 170s
    2) Boot - Ideally I'd also get a light boot, vs my Maestrale RSs which I use for everything (resort & bc) today. But my feet are hyper sensitive. Other than just carrying more weight, would the RSs over-power a ~1000 gr ski? Presumably stiffness will help on this?
    I actually think the CD104s can just do it all, but more and more trips with my 5-yr younger ultra runner brother has me yearning to drop some weight from my feet!
    +1 interested on stories of taller guys on shorter skis.

Has anyone been on the Sego Wave 94s linked earlier? There don't seem to be any reviews of them.

Inharent bias of skis aside, I’d really suggest sorting out a modern light 1000g ish boot (and mohair skins if not already on them). The reduced friction and increased ROM will be by far a bigger upgrade in keeping up with fast friends than ski weight. Just my .02

regarding ski length, 6’2” fella here, who has been using 175 skis (tho semi heavy at 1550g to smooth out bad snow) for really hard windboard days with great success. But anything softish, I’d want at least 177-180 or up.

Thx Marshal, and agree that a lighter boot would be optimal. I'm just so gun shy given foot flare ups. ZG Pros (even punched) resulted in a foot surgery! I've got a beater 2nd pair of Maestrale RSs and have played around with stripping em down since I never tighten the front half anyway.
    But also, as a long time long-ish ski guy, I'm 1) shocked at how well my 181 Downs do, even in 2+ feet of snow and therefore 2) when I eventually add a spring/couloir ski, I'm going short. Thx for input!

Voile Objective has met my goals for these criteria (that I also share)

Length (cm) 178
    117/84/102
    Radius (m) 19.5
    Pair Weight (lbs-oz./​kg)5lbs /​ 2.27kg

I'm 5 8, 160, ski on 177 vwerks mantras, with dynafit hoji 130 boots.
    Great couloir skis.i wouldn't go any lighter in boots. Because you're going to encounter all sorts of bad snow.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

The Rise Beyond 96 is lighter and has 5mm wider tip and 2mm narrower waist compared to Rise 98, so you can choose between straighter vs quicker.

96 has similar tip rocker to M5, but almost no tail rocker.