Carbon vs Ti vs CroMo rail durability?

Just snapped a rail on my CroMo railed Phenom and need to buy a replacement. Is anybody seeing much of a difference in durability between the three materials? Cost difference between CroMo and Ti looks to be about $30.

Seth

I've bent / snapped lots of cromo. I think I bent a ti, although that was a while ago. Never bent or broke carbon, but I've only had one saddle with carbon rails.

For $30 more, I'd go ti.

I've seen a number of broken carbon rails, would stick to steel or ti for a mtb or cx/gravel bike I think.

I've broken a carbon rail Silverado. Technically, it was a skills coach riding my bike, who only weighed like 150 lbs at most, but he insisted I must have weakened it before. He said he's broken about 3 of them, and just uses Ti now. Another guy I know has broken carbon Volts.

Never had an issue with the Ti rails. Would not recommend the carbon ones, but if you really absolutely want a carbon one, I've got the warranty replacement Silverado in my parts box.

I'm definitely leaning toward Ti with these recommendations. That said, if the price was really cheap for that silverado I'd consider it.

I’ve bent a cro mo Chromag… that’s about all I can offer

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Carbon vs Ti vs CroMo rail durability?

Yup. Broke a Carbon, and one squeaks. Ti has always been great. Ti from now on. I’m only 175 lbs and don’t do big drops.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    I'm definitely leaning toward Ti with these recommendations. That said, if the price was really cheap for that silverado I'd consider it.
    Actually, I forgot I also have an SQLab 611 Ergowave Active S-Tube (Ti rails) if you're more interested in that. Size 13 (measures a hair over 140mm wide). Nearly new, just a couple rides on it before I realized that even though this was the right width, I didn't like the shape. $90 shipped.