Pearl Lake/Steamboat Lake trails?

Going to be camping at Pearl Lake this weekend. Are there any good rides up by Pearl or Steamboat Lakes? Obviously, there are lots in Steamboat generally, but want to stay "local"; hoping to get a ride in while the wife and kiddo go SUPing. I'm an out of shape dentist, so not looking for epics, something in the 10-15 mile range would be plenty (and less than that is fine too).

Also, is there any ride that is kid friendly? My kiddo is 10 and not super strong, but can ride easy intermediate trails.

I have mtbproject and trailforks (free version).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Following. Tons of moto trails up there from what I understand. Been curious about that area. I think Revolution Enduro has raced on some of the trails up there.

Danno!

You want to ride Wyoming Trail/Diamond Park loop, check my strava for map and pics, hiked there last week to scope things out. After the rains past few days, it should be in prime condition. Park at Diamond Park TH. I prefer clockwise for the good flow you'll get from Diamond Park. Right at the bridge. Literally where the bridge ends, the TH for the WY is on your right. Easy to miss. Some moto on that trail, but not bad, no atv's allowed. About 9 miles of singletrack.

You could try to ride there from Pearl via Coulton trail, but that route is not intuitive, that area still needs some work. Save time and drive to that th, enjoy singletrack.

South Fork trail is also good to go, one that you can ride with your girl, better from north part of seedhouse, but the 2 river crossings are still knee-deep. That's a short ride, maybe 6 miles, but gorgeous and refreshing. Park at Burn Ridge TH for that one, or have someone drop you off so you don't have to ride back up Seedhouse.

I highly recommend the Steamboat Zirkel Sky Terrain Trail Map. Best one I have found for mtb trails for that area.

For an all out epic day, you could do Diamond Park to Scott's Run, down Hinman and back to Pearl, but it's pretty tech in 2 spots, and rocky af as you exit through Hinman Park. There is a network of trails from Pearl (Coulton Trail), but easy to get on wrong track and that lower part is hot and kinda boring.

Nipple Peak/Prospector is fun option at Hahns Peak Lake. Prefer to ride CCW. Head N on 129 to turnoff for Hahn's Peak (not the day use area, the one after that). You'll see a tiny pullout and sign for the Prospector trail, #1156, off to the right. If you ride to the road FR488 (Iron Mountain Road), you can still access Prospector, you just miss first part of it. Still, the TH there is easy to miss as people are usually camped in the pullout for it. Best to just use the th access from 129 pullout.

All kinds of stuff around Hahns Peak, all open to atvers though and the 4th is the worst time to ride up that way. They have a parade through the village and it's mostly atv's.

Enjoy a marg at the cafe for me. I'm down to ride on Monday if you're still around!

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I think Revolution Enduro has raced on some of the trails up there.
    Yes and I'm still picking up all their trash, markers and signage they've left behind the past few years. Disgraceful representation for the enduro community.

Thanks Jax!
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I'll second scott's run to hinman creek. I think its about a 16 mile loop and super fun. One of the better loops in the area imo. Not super close to pearl lake, but closer than steamboat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Yes and I'm still picking up all their trash, markers and signage they've left behind the past few years. Disgraceful representation for the enduro community.
    That's disappointing to hear. I only did one of their races, it was fun and their heart seems to be in the right spot. They were a small crew and seemed like they needed more people. No excuse for leaving trash in the woods though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Danno!

You want to ride Wyoming Trail/Diamond Park loop, check my strava for map and pics, hiked there last week to scope things out. After the rains past few days, it should be in prime condition. Park at Diamond Park TH. I prefer clockwise for the good flow you'll get from Diamond Park. Right at the bridge. Literally where the bridge ends, the TH for the WY is on your right. Easy to miss. Some moto on that trail, but not bad, no atv's allowed. About 9 miles of singletrack.
    Hey Jax, been looking at your strava map and google maps and these instructions and wondering if you were stating this from the other direction? As in, it looks like the TH would be on my left just before the bridge, not on my right just after the bridge? And am I right that this loop in the CW direction includes a short stretch of road at the end? As in, get to that road (Seedhouse Rd?) and turn right to get back to my car?

And if this loop is sweet, looks like my next camping trip should be to the Seedhouse CG!

Sorry, wrote that kinda late and wasn't too clear, did some cut and pasting, lol.

The bridge I was referring to was midway through the ride, when you go from Diamond Park and then hop on Wyoming Trail, NOT the bridge on Seedhouse road.

Hope that makes sense. Yes, the Seedhouse CG is right across from that area. And correct, little bit of road riding to get back to car, like 30 seconds worth. People ride it both ways but the best flow for Diamond is CW, IMO.

This is the bridge I was referring to. You'll reach it halfway through the ride. You'll be coming from left side of photo. The trail on right is the Wyoming Trail, which you will be riding to head back south.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WyomingTrailBridge.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	378461

TH

Name:	WyomingTH.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	378462

Diamond Park goodness after the initial climb

Name:	DiamondPark.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	937.8 KB 
ID:	378463

For future reference, if you decide to do Diamond Park/Scott's Run, instead of taking a right at the bridge pictured above, you'll take a left on the doubletrack and grind your way up up and up before getting to turnoff for Scott's Run. Haven't ridden this year yet, but last year there was no sign and that trail is super easy to miss when the ferns and grasses are getting tall.

Thanks Jax! I don't know how much time I will get to ride, but this looks like a perfect ride while the wife and child SUP.

Update: I didn't get to ride a fucking thing except around the lake, but I will try that loop sometime!