Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2021 Fishing Mini-Summit (MT/WY)

Plans are brewing for a 2021 Fishing Mini-Summit. Show up and have a shitload of fun.

July 17-19 (Sat-Mon) near Dillon or Melrose MT. Lots of water to chose from, multiple sections of the Big Hole, plus Beaverhead, Ruby, Clark Canyon Reservoir, plus many others.
    Looking for a dispersed camping zone, maybe locals swimmy and/or lifelinksplit can grab us something ahead of time ?

July 20 (Tues) Big party in Big Sky hosted by Talisman. Officially this is my “going away” party, Elk steaks cooked to perfection by the person who shot the elk. Luxe accommodations provided for out of town maggots. Talisman has us well taken care of.

July 21-25 (Wed-Sun) Cody WY for the annual Drake Magazine “Luau”. These Drake dudes are cool, SFB and underoos are in tight with them. Last year Djongo & I showed up to represent the TRG. We must have made a good impression because we are invited back. Wear your Hawaiian shirt and a lei, get your boogaloo on.
    The Drake dudes have a group camping sight in a state park, lots of room for tents, RVs, whatever.

You don’t have to do the whole week, feel free to drop in, or drop out, on whatever dates you want. Most important thing is having fun.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Actual photo proving that maggots caught fish at last years Luau.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1624920464.231285.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	467.8 KB 
ID:	378231

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Djongo manning the sticks on SFB’s boat.

Name:	Image1624920559.113779.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	474.4 KB 
ID:	378232

SFB

Name:	IMG_0152.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	338.2 KB 
ID:	378233

You haven’t truly lived until you have spent a day in a drift boat with SFB. It’s like living inside a Hunter S. Thompson novel.

Name:	Image1624920985.320714.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	373.0 KB 
ID:	378235

Just a heads up that I heard a bunch of new hoot owls went into effect including sections of beaverhead and big hole.

If I'm not back in Wisconsin visiting my folks I can prob help out with some campsite logistics and bring a boat or two.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Good, we need boats.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Good, we need boats.

I have boats! I will try and make this happen, Lifelink, where is the hoot owl on the Big Hole, I ave a bridge project going down in Wisdom, was hoping to get some water time while I was there...
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    I have boats! I will try and make this happen, Lifelink, where is the hoot owl on the Big Hole, I ave a bridge project going down in Wisdom, was hoping to get some water time while I was there...
    Upper big hole from Saginaw bridge on skinner meadows rd to NF big hole. Lower big hole from confluence with beaverhead to Notch bottom. So you have options near wisdom. Give a holla if ya want to meet for a float. Was just there a week or 2 ago and short drive for me/boat.

Only requirement for my boat is dealing with a very friendly golden retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    a very friendly golden retriever.
    Walter !

Upper big hole from Saginaw bridge on skinner meadows rd to NF big hole. Lower big hole from confluence with beaverhead to Notch bottom. So you have options near wisdom. Give a holla if ya want to meet for a float. Was just there a week or 2 ago and short drive for me/boat.

Only requirement for my boat is dealing with a very friendly golden retriever.

Will do, the very friendly golden may have to deal with a very friendly hound pup! I was planning in dragging a boat with me as well! I will certainly be in touch! I think Harry can vouch for me (or at least give me a negative review if so justified!)
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Having met both of you, I guarantee you guys will get along great.

Looking forward to seeing you guys again.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    hoot owl restrictions on the waters
    rodger that
    i like to start in the dark
    coffee and safety chat at 4:20 am
    hoot hoot

and i was there for that show
    EC is God
    aint sure if im gonna roll rubber or Tupperware
    or how long ill git to road trip this time
    sheldon looks forward to hangin with walter again

as i look forward to sharing piscatorial pursuits of summers
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Actual photo proving that maggots caught fish at last years Luau.

Name:	Image1624920464.231285.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	467.8 KB 
ID:	378231
    I am not sure that my fishing skills are adequate for such massive trout, but I can row or shuttle vehicles when not wetting a line. Since I have a party to prepare for on the 20th, my participation in the summit will be limited to Sat or Sun.

I might be able to shoot over for a night if I’m not back in Wisco.

Harry…you moving ?

If I'm not back in Wisconsin……
    Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    if I’m not back in Wisco….
    Harry…you moving ?
    Yes, to Wisconsin.

Good luck in the move! Let’s sling a line in Wisco sometime. I seem to find myself in the land of sausage quite often these days.

This sounds like a great time. Bummed that I will be missing it by 3-4 days. If I didn't have the little furkind to take care of, I would consider extending my WY trip.
    However, if anyone is around 07/10-13 and wants to float Jackson Lake, I will be teaching my little one water skilz at that time
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    This sounds like a great time. Bummed that I will be missing it by 3-4 days. If I didn't have the little furkind to take care of, I would consider extending my WY trip.
    However, if anyone is around 07/10-13 and wants to float Jackson Lake, I will be teaching my little one water skilz at that time
    I’ll be here and likely ripping around on our lake boat. Happy to get a float in also.
    Jackson lake is fishing well. Bigger fish, (Lakers, cutthroat and browns), have mostly moved into summer water so it’s tough to fly stick em now. Plenty of good evening fishing in bays and off points where fish come to feed. Good fly sticking there. Just not going to see trophy lakers or monster browns.

Gear fishing is heating up too. Been hearing good reports pretty consistently.

Shoot me a PM, (remind me here cuz I might not see it$, if you’d like to meet up.

Good luck in the move! Let’s sling a line in Wisco sometime.
    Let’s do it !

I am way north of your folks place though, a little south of Hayward. Get off the freeway in Eau Claire and go north. Two awesome rivers in play for me, the mighty Chippewa and the legendary Flambeau. Plus the mysterious River X, which no one is allowed to post about…

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    If I didn't have the little furkind to take care of
    Bring the fur kid !

If my lady and I end up moving to Ironwood in the next 5-6 years, I will hit you up for sure. Bummed to miss this rende but the schedule doesn't work out.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I'll shoot over a PM. We are staying at Lizard Creek, and I plan on mostly hanging on the lake. We will put in at both LC and Colter's Bay and and fish from the kayak for at least a couple hrs. I'm thinking that with Krocodiles and a few Panther Martins and some Moose Drool, I may get lucky.
    Hazel will be 15 weeks and err... excited about her first overnight full-on lake trip.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Ironwood...that reminds me.

Stormy Kromer HQ, FTW.

Harry, I'll bring the Fly rod, an old green Kromer and some other going away schwag to the Party/Luau.

Got this email from Montana FWP, more hoot owl restrictions in effect.

High temps prompt additional fishing restrictions in southwest Montana
    Angling restrictions on several additional rivers in southwest Montana go into effect today due to warming temperatures and low flows.

The restrictions include what are commonly known as “hoot owl” restrictions, which means fishing is closed from 2 p.m. to midnight each day. Some waters are under full fishing closures, which prohibit fishing at all times of day. These closures and restrictions will stay in effect until conditions improve.

These restrictions and closures go into effect today:

A hoot owl on the Big Hole River from the North Fork of the Big Hole River downstream to Dickie Bridge, and from the Maidenrock Fishing Access Site downstream to the Tony Schoonen Fishing Access Site.
    A full fishing closure on the East Gallatin River from Penwell Bridge Road downstream to the confluence with the Gallatin River.
    A hoot owl on the East Gallatin River from the confluence of Bear Creek and Rocky Creek downstream to Penwell Bridge.
    A hoot owl on the Shields River from the U.S. Forest Service Crandal Creek Bridge downstream to the confluence with Rock Creek.
    A hoot owl on the Gallatin River from Montana Hwy. 84 in Four Corners downstream to the confluence with the Missouri River.
    Upper Clark Fork – From the confluence of Rock Creek near Clinton upstream to the confluence with Warm Springs Creek.
    Silver Bow Creek, including Warm Springs Ponds -- From the creek’s confluence with Warm Springs Creek to Montana Street in Butte

The “executive committee “ for the mini-summit (i.e. dibbs & me) is currently re-evaluating our plans for the Big Hole zone. Hoot owl, stressed fish, dispersed camping in high fire zone, are all considerations. We may just cancel this portion of the event, depends.

The party in Big Sky on Tuesday night the 20th is definitely on. It’s more than just fishing maggots, there will be plenty of skiing maggots plus non-maggots too.

And the Luau in Cody, which is run by non-maggot Drake kooks, is definitely on.

If anyone has suggestions for a replacement to the Big Hole, post them up here, or PM to keep it off the net.