Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

“Smokeless” Fire Pits? (Solo, Breeo, etc)

Didn’t see any posts on these and they’re getting popular. Figured we could use a thread.

Anybody have preferences/reviews/favorites from the new breed of portable fire cans? I’m thinking about one that could come with on ski days for apres parking lot beers but also set in my yard or on the deck for summer evenings.

Solo stove kicks ass.

It’s amazing. I upgraded to the Yukon when they did it on Kickstarter. It fits full logs. But it’s not portable.

I gave my mid size unit to a friend who uses it often when tailgating
    Sounds like that’s the one you want.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Solo stove kicks ass.

This

Get the carrying case and the little stand, it helps on snowy parking lots

Quote Originally Posted by adrian.bee View Post
    This

Get the carrying case and the little stand, it helps on snowy parking lots
    I have bought 4 of them, 2 for gifts for the kids, 2 to keep. RV model for Rv and the bonfire for home use. Pretty impressive stoves

Solo stove kicks ass.
    Looks like they are doing a 4th of July sale right now

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

I have had the bon fire for 5 years now. Great stove and better with new revisions.

My only problem is it does not 'throw' heat very well as it's really insulated.

Why Solo stove vs. Propane Tank + Fake Fire? Seems like the Propane fire would be much easier for tailgating at a ski resort for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Why Solo stove vs. Propane Tank + Fake Fire? Seems like the Propane fire would be much easier for tailgating at a ski resort for instance.
    Not to mention the propane pit can still be used when there's a fire ban.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I have a propane fire ring, we've been prevented from using it at a festival due to decree from the local fire chief. But mostly ya, we can use it camping during a campfire ban. It throws little heat, but does work under a bug-sealed pop-up canopy.
    The solo burners offer real flame and of course you can use real wood if that is more available than a propane tank. I can go through a 20lbs tank in 3 nights if the flame is kept high. Solo looks much more chic than any propane ring I've seen. Doesn't work so well in a bug tent, so you're feeding the mossies or applying the bug dope. You can cook somewhat on a solo; cooking on a propane ring is messy business. Nothing like kids roasting hotdogs and marshmallows dropping food on the lavarock.

I think I paid $100 crappy tire dollars for the propane ring. Portable solo stove bonfire is $230USD on sale.
    Time and place for both I suppose. Like most else in our consumer society, best to have a quiver.

propane tank setup would be more ideal for apres parking lot sesh. You can turn a propane stove off immediately vs having to wait or smother wood.

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    propane tank setup would be more ideal for apres parking lot sesh. You can turn a propane stove off immediately vs having to wait or smother wood.
    Gotta leave the parking lot apres in an unexpected rush sometimes, eh?

Once turned off, it takes about 15min before the propane ring, bowl and rocks are cool enough to handle.

What about the BioLite FirePit+?

I am currently debating between the Tiki firepit or the Solo Bonfire for the back patio. I am leaning towards the Tiki since I wont need to move it and it supposedly puts off much more heat. My one concern is how much smoke it puts off. They advertise it as less smoke, while solo claims to be smokeless. Anyone have experience with both the TIki and Solo Bonfire?

Solo is not smokeless. It's less smoke for sure, but it's not like there is zero smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Solo is not smokeless. It's less smoke for sure, but it's not like there is zero smoke.
    Thanks. That is very helpful.

All these smokeless fire pits are based on the top-lit updraft (TLUD) stove design. It’s an open source design created in the 90s to reduce demand for wood in rural villages. Instead of cutting lots of wood to make charcoal, they can burn sticks and slash in a TLUD stove. The original stove design is narrow and tall, and burns gasses coming off the wood with a blue flame. Those are really smokeless. The fire pit design doesn’t burn as cleanly, and yellow flame is the goal. But they’re still a lot cleaner than a regular fire pit.

Solo Stove’s name comes from the fact they originally sold camping stoves. They sold a shiny $80 version of a $20 TLUD stove. It seems like they’ve done a lot better with the fire pits.

When you start it it’s a basic campfire, smoke included, but when the hot coals develop it’s amazing how little smoke there is IME.

I think we beat the propane vs solo type stove topic to death in one of these threads already.

Agreed. I have the Yukon and Bonfire. Not “smokeless”. Really depends on having good lumber as well.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Sure draft stoves work well, but having a fan to kick start the system probably helps a lot.

Seems smokeless to me.

Regular fire pits always have that downwind burn your eyes smoke zone. Once it’s up to temp, the solo lets you sit anywhere 360 degrees.

I was heavily considering a Breeo for the backyard for a while there…

I love the look of them. I love the idea of using it to cook.

But…
    - it seems like it would take a hour to cool down
    - that metal ring must get nuclear hot. I imagine a little kid searing his face on it….
    - I am concerned that rust finish would drip down and stain my pavers
    - the cooking setup is like +$400 on top of the pit price….

Once it’s up to temp, the solo lets you sit anywhere 360 degrees.
    I think getting to temp is key to start generating enough updraft for the smoke to stop being an issue. I burn ultra dry hardwood in my Solo and it smokes like any old fire for the first bit. Once I get a good bed of coal in there I can't even smell it.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Friend/neighbor has a Solo. They throw zero heat IME. If you're looking for aesthetics, can't beat 'em, but if you're looking for something to cut the chill, they don't rock. My experience is in Vermont where it get's cold.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1625177281.596523.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	241.9 KB 
ID:	378472
    Being able to use it anywhere on our wood deck is nice. You can see it’s throwing some dust or whatever from the paper I used to start it. So what.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    What about the BioLite FirePit+?
    I have one of these, a Solo and a cheap, portable propane one. The Biolite is nice and small, and it makes less smoke than the Solo. But it is much less attractive to look at than the Solo. And it makes a slightly annoying noise when the fan is on high. And it rusted a bit. We don't use it much. I pretty much only use the propane for ski area parking lots (they are perfect for this). The Solo is a great product.