Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I picked up the OG Biolite when they were on Kickstarter. We probably use it about 10-15 times a year in the backyard. The battery pack is still working perfectly. I has just the slightest bit of surface rust, but nothing unusual. I like that it's pretty idiot proof and that it burns completely. It's nice being able to modulate the heat output from the app while in the chair, bonus feature... it's actually pretty smokeless. 8 out of 10, would buy again.

Pro tip.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    I picked up the OG Biolite when they were on Kickstarter...
    Does that blanket actually protect the grass? We've been using some old bricks with our portable pit to avoid the brown scorched area... But it's no fun moving those around every time we want to use it.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    Does that blanket actually protect the grass? We've been using some old bricks with our portable pit to avoid the brown scorched area... But it's no fun moving those around every time we want to use it.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
    It actually works really well. I was using a couple of sheets of plywood that were cut down and some paving stones and still had scorched parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I think getting to temp is key to start generating enough updraft for the smoke to stop being an issue. I burn ultra dry hardwood in my Solo and it smokes like any old fire for the first bit. Once I get a good bed of coal in there I can't even smell it.
    This

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Friend/neighbor has a Solo. They throw zero heat IME. If you're looking for aesthetics, can't beat 'em, but if you're looking for something to cut the chill, they don't rock. My experience is in Vermont where it get's cold.
    I've only been around one in a ski parking lot and yeah pretty much zero heat as we sat really really close to it, freezing in the shade at 3pm. The temp was maybe around 15-20, I don't remember exactly but it wasn't Vermont cold.

They would be much better for a cold fall or summer night at the house, IMO.

problem with the heat is that you can't really have it both ways. Heat and oxygen is required to combust the smoke. If you throw the heat, you lose the ability to combust the smoke.

I have the OG Yukon and Bonfire and absolutely love them…. As others have said a little smoke when starting and once going emits very little smoke…. And completely agree on it heating/warming capabilities - it does a great job in the fall and early spring, but does not heat enough during the cold winter months…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

+1 on the Solo Stoves not kicking off a lot of heat horizontally.
    Gravity. It's the law.

What are you all using to cover your solo stoves? Did you buy the cover from solo? Seems way overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by josef View Post
    What are you all using to cover your solo stoves? Did you buy the cover from solo? Seems way overpriced.
    I have the vinyl cover which sucks. Came with the fire pit.

Then they made me buy the stainless flat cover. It rocks. The stove is a table now, when it’s not a stove.
    . . .

Who are they?

Who are they?
    The voices in my head that make me think I need to buy shit I really don’t need
    . . .

Haha those bastards!

The lid makes a ton of sense. Does it keep rain out? I’m hoping I can be a lazy ass and leave this thing out in the winter.

Mine has been out for many winters.
    The vinyl cover looked like moldy ass crap.

The stainless steel flat cover is sweet.

Even if it gets dingy just give it a Brillo. Shiny steel again.

You do want to keep rain out. Otherwise the ash makes a mess.
    . . .

I have the vinyl cover, but I store it in the garage. Kind of a waste. But it arrived with a dent, so they gave me enough credit for the cover, poker, and grabber. Solo Stove seems like a pretty stand-up company
    Gravity. It's the law.

Haha those bastards!

The lid makes a ton of sense. Does it keep rain out? I’m hoping I can be a lazy ass and leave this thing out in the winter.
    Bet a piece of treated plywood cut to fit would make more sense in a lot of ways…
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Bet a piece of treated plywood cut to fit would make more sense in a lot of ways…
    I was wondering if you could throw the steel cover on a still burning fire and go to bed. I’ve always wanted to cut a thick piece of steel, weld handles to it and do that with my in ground fire pit. Heavy enough that it wouldn’t blow off with an unexpected storm, and burly enough to absorb the heat and let the fire smolder out.

So when I bought my OG Yukon the only option was the vinyl cover which has done a great job of protecting the pit…. I bought the stainless steel cover and it rocks…. It is the way to go…Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1421.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	379409Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1420.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	379410

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    So when I bought my OG Yukon the only option was the vinyl cover which has done a great job of protecting the pit…. I bought the stainless steel cover and it rocks…. It is the way to go…Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1421.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	379409Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1420.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	379410

You got the second generation vinyl cover with the struts. The og one sucked.
    I got the stainless lid and ditched the vinyl.

The stainless lid is a table when you’re not having a fire.
    Worth the price.

If the stains on the stainless bother you then scrub it with barkeepers friend. I just let mine age for character. It sits out year round. You do need a cover since rain mixes with the ash and makes a mess. But the steel lid is watertight

Solo sale for a few more days.

Buy yourself a christmas present so the wife doesn't get you an ugly sweater
    . . .

How much heat comes out the bottom of a Solo? Can you put it on Trex decking? I'm guessing no, but figured I would ask rather than be the guinea pig myself
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    How much heat comes out the bottom of a Solo? Can you put it on Trex decking? I'm guessing no, but figured I would ask rather than be the guinea pig myself
    If you get the stand for it you will have zero issues…. I have a Bonfire at our ski lot sitting on a wood deck and no marks whatsoever…

Before the stand I charred a few boards I laid on the lawn. Actually they burned through in the middle. Then again it was a raging several hour cedar shingle hot burn.

The stand works well. Mine mostly sits on painted concrete. The paint hasn’t peeled or bubbled.

On trex? I might add a piece of cement board they use for tiling. Or four of those 12x12 cheap cement pavers.
    . . .