Camera recommendation for 15th birthday?

Hello fellow kids- my daughter is turning 15 soon and took at photo course in HS this spring which she really liked. Any thoughts on a decent camera to feed her interest? Is there a used mkt for something a bit more legit to give her room to grow, so to speak?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

iphone 13 ...... your dog wants steak.

Camera recommendation for 15th birthday?

Anything 3-5 years old would be a great place to start. Even entry-level dSLRs of that age will be plenty good. If it shoots RAW and has interchangeable lenses she will be able to grow with her skills/interests and slowly build up a kit

Look for a 50mm 1.8 lens to go with it (nifty fifty) to get pretty damn near pro quality photos out of it. They can be had for like $100-200.

Quote Originally Posted by senior researcher View Post
    iphone 13 ...... your dog wants steak.
    Hah

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Anything 3-5 years old would be a great place to start. Even entry-level dSLRs of that age will be plenty good. If it shoots RAW and has interchangeable lenses she will be able to grow with her skills/interests and slowly build up a kit

Look for a 50mm 1.8 lens to go with it (nifty fifty) to get pretty damn near pro quality photos out of it. They can be had for like $100-200.
    TYVM- is there a trusted source for such things?

There’s a website called Fred Miranda that’s basically the TGR of photo gear. They have a good for sale section, there’s eBay, and a couple of the big camera stores have used sections: B&H and Adorama.

I've bought a few from Canon refurb site - don't know if it's still in existence. Canon also used to give a discount for trading in another broken Canon, so if that's still going, pick up a broken Powershot off Craigslist or something.

All the refurb stuff I've bought from Canon has looked and operated like new.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

KEH or /photomarket. I've bought from ebay and adorama too, but those 2 are my favorites.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Used Sony A6XXX series for APSC sensor or even a used A7