Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2021 UEFA Cup

There they go.

Nice horse collar

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Nice horse collar
    That shoulda been a red card.
    Beaten by man and ball, zero attempt to play the ball, drag guy to ground by shirt and shoulder..
    Fricken ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    That shoulda been a red card.
    Beaten by man and ball, zero attempt to play the ball, drag guy to ground by shirt and shoulder..
    Fricken ridiculous
    Definitely.

I always hate it when it goes to PKs but OTOH Pickford has been playing unworldly. Shades of Shilton.

Hate PKs but yay Italia!!

Oof!

Rough ending, but that's about as entertaining a shootout as you'll see.

Great game.

Well done Italy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Ho-lee shit.
    I still call it The Jake.

Donnarumma is a man. Seeing him in goal has to make you think where can I put this? I think that’s what made all the English players try to hard to find the right place. I mean HK’s PK was perfect and he still got a hand to it. Hate that he’s going to PSG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post

Werner. Verdict is still out. He did provide lots of PK’s for Chelsea and he does make great runs that create space for others. He’s not worthless and he does have time to come good. But if Chelsea had a guaranteed goal presence like Harry Kane ? A fox in the box goal hunter? They’d be in the PL title hunt.
    I actually think the presence of that type of striker would be perfect for Werner. Play him as a forward, who has the freedom to cut inside and do what he wants, and let someone else take care of finishing inside the box like a classic striker.

Even when Werner was killing it at Dortmund he would occasionally miss chances when he had too much time. His forte is speed, and the occasional nice finish or shot from distance, not finishing chances inside the box. If someone else were there to do that it would free Werner of that responsibility, which might help him relax.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Italy played the better game.

I think there is merit in the criticism that Southgate was simply too defensive the whole time.

I tend to watch EPL, UCL and certain Bundesliga games more than Serie A. It is hard for me to know if my lack of knowledge regarding Italy's attacking talent is my own ignorance, certainly possible, of if England genuinely have more star attacking players. I think it is a bit of both, honestly. I don't want to pile on Southgate too much, and give Italy the credit they deserve, but England really could have done a bit better with all of the weapons at their disposal.

I really don't know that I get bringing the young guys on at the very end to take penalties. Of course, if they had buried them it would have looked brilliant, but it didn't go that way in the end.

England really has a shot in 2022, but they need to actually get the most out of the offensive players they have. In this game a team that was clearly less talented outplayed them at the offensive end.

Has there ever been a tournament where England REALLY outplayed their level of talent? I don't mean a situation like 2018 where they had a number of young guys who stepped up and were developing. I mean a tournament where they didn't have many high level players and played extremely well, got to the semi-finals. I can name plenty of tournaments where they were loaded with stars who didn't play up to expectations. To be fair, they made the finals here, so I don't think you can REALLY call this a disappointment, but given the talent they have I don't think making the finals is all that surprising. I think that had they been knocked out in the quarters that would have been a major disappointment. Making the finals and not winning might be a disappointment, but this is the first time since 1966 that they have made a final. I think that most would have given them some credit if a month before the tournament one knew they were going to make the finals. This tournament was an impressive performance, but at the end they still lost to a team with less talent that outplayed them.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

It’s getting ugly online:
    “Bukayo Saka, Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho have been racially abused on social media after missing penalties in England's penalty shootout defeat to Italy.”

Racism in European football? I for one am shocked.

Pasty white fat stupid rascist wankers in England? No way!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Pasty white fat stupid rascist wankers in England? No way!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Especially not in a political climate where the government seeks the mistake abroad (the eu is the root if all that's evil!) and raging populism and xenophobia lead to brexit.

Just give em the empire back and all will be well. Why don't we start by revoking the independence of the separatist colony in the West?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Congratulations Italy. A well-deserved win. England are a good side with a pretty easy route to the final but you can't park the bus for 70 mins against the best attacking team in Europe and expect a win.
    The policing at Wembley and central London was pathetic. There's no chance of a major tournament coming here for the foreseeable future and rightly so. A minority of England 'fans' that are basically just pissed-up cunts have fucked things up once again.

SP, Brexit was slightly more nuanced than that. Keep reading Bild though for the deep insight and analysis. I voted remain btw but I think long-term, leaving the EU will (on balance)
    be positive. A couple of reports I read this morning state some of these racist social media accounts are based further east and are intended to sow division. You know, from that country Germany signed the Nordsteam2 deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post

SP, Brexit was slightly more nuanced than that. Keep reading Bild though for the deep insight and analysis. I voted remain btw but I think long-term, leaving the EU will (on balance)
    be positive. A couple of reports I read this morning state some of these racist social media accounts are based further east and are intended to sow division. You know, from that country Germany signed the Nordsteam2 deal with.
    Well the underlying theme of the lost empire came up in a few guardian articles and I'm sure they are also paid by St.Petersburg .

And what exactly is "take back control" other than populism paired with a nice Touch of xenophobia?

And how would you call the " 300 million for the NHS " campaign, other than populism? Oh yes..... Blatant lies.

They were not the only factors, but with a 52 to 48 result they were decisive. Together with the young pro (maybe) EU people who stayed at home because "we'll Win anyway" or because "politics is bollocks mate".

Quite ironically the eastern European workers ( who were at the core of this diffuse feeling) were let in much earlier than they had to be let into the job market in the 2000s because of EU regulations. The British government took away the job market protection much earlier than other countries. And still it was the EU's fault.

I'm not even counting the decades of British domestic policy since the 70s where everything that went wrong was the EU's fault.

Edit: uuh and I forgot the nice "hostile environment " for EU workers which has been domestic policy for a while. I'm sure that does not foster racism or division.

Nuanced enough for you?

That summary isn't exactly nuanced. The Guardian (except for their 'Long Reads') isn't exactly nuanced either. You write about the campaign for Brexit but not the underlying reasons, both pro's and cons. It's a fact, both campaigns lied. Fundamental for me is that democracy prevailed (regardless of my personal stance) where previous EU referendums have either been reversed or rebadged.

For info, the hostile environment policy was targeted at people who didn't have the right to remain, not EU workers.

Anyway, back to the football. Italy played better and some England fans are mindless cunts.

Fundamental for me is that democracy prevailed (regardless of my personal stance) where previous EU referendums have either.
    Is that really so? I personally don't really care whether a country decides to leave the EU, but it really irks me that some bored "conservative" Oxbridge debating boys and Murdoch use a country as their plaything regardless of cost. And Rees mogg and the hoover guy(Dyson)have just located their company seat out of the uk, but play the strings of patriotism.

Well on topic: the best team won and football fans do not tend to be the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Energy crisis, empty shelves, no truck drivers, limited sewage treatment and (maaybe ) no turkey for Christmas? Is the Brexit still a good idea?