Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Wine Geekery

Fuckin' A tgapp. When our paths cross we're drinking a nice bottle on me.

We use a basic little vaccum pump maybe weekly to split a bottle over two nights. https://www.amazon.com/Vacu-Vin-Blac...7697623&sr=8-5

If you're interested in trying a bunch of things, but don't want to pop corks constantly, a $120 Coravin system is probably worth it for ya. Pivot model is ideal if you're mostly drinking over a couple weeks -- but you need a cap for each bottle you open. The timeless system goes right through the cork so you can taste a bunch of bottles without using anything but the argon carts. https://www.coravin.com/about/buying-guide

Coravin is nice but not a great tool for most lay people. I've had many hundreds of coravined bottles and they usually don't hold up consistently for much more than a week or 2 after being poked. Great for folks in the trade who have to show fancy wine to lots of buyers over several days but not an ideal tool for consumers testing wines to potentially consume later.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I rarely drink a whole bottle of red by myself. My wife only has a half glass, so I just cork the bottle and put it in our 50F garage overnight. Some are actually better the next day, some not.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I once ate at a restaurant in Miami (Hakkasan) that used that system. I ordered a glass 1st Cru Puligny Montrachet. I asked about the system and how they could serve that by the glass. He told me that the system allowed them to keep bottles open for a couple of weeks. It was delicious
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Very cool and good on you for doing it. Hope it all goes well and you make a fast recovery.

Tgapp has quickly become the most interesting dude on TGR.
    also the worst skier on tgr. i'll even bet you $37.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Rarely use it cuz we’re drunks, but this works great
    Attachment 393730
    Oxygen is bad for wine.
    yeah, this seems like a great solution - mostly because it's $7 on amazon. i ordered two of 'em. also, i think i can use them to take nice wine backpacking...right? should be here tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I rarely drink a whole bottle of red by myself. My wife only has a half glass, so I just cork the bottle and put it in our 50F garage overnight. Some are actually better the next day, some not.
    yeah... I tend to think that I'm closer to this attitude than anything else. I'm deep into the world of high end coffee, and I tend to believe that 900 other factors impact your palate on a given day before the actual contents of whatever is in your glass. that said, i'm gonna wait for me to get the fancy hydroflask things before I pop open this CdR or this Rioja so I can at least make an attempt to preserve them.

question for the collective: if i'm really drinking coffee, i do so with a clean palate - ie, nothing else to eat or drink (other than water). do pairing recommendations super duper matter, or only somewhat matter? ie, if i am having turkey for turkey day can i still enjoy a glass of wine or will the wine police (likely schindler's piste) roll up to my house and give me a citation? or can i just use common sense? how deep down that rabbit hole should i fall?

pic relevant because we have a ton of liver in the freezer

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    question for the collective: if i'm really drinking coffee, i do so with a clean palate - ie, nothing else to eat or drink (other than water). do pairing recommendations super duper matter, or only somewhat matter? ie, if i am having turkey for turkey day can i still enjoy a glass of wine or will the wine police (likely schindler's piste) roll up to my house and give me a citation? or can i just use common sense? how deep down that rabbit hole should i fall?
    It's easy to get carried away with sn00ty restrictions.

I don't like reds with sour stuff like most green salads. That's what whites are for.
    And yeah, drinking a heavy red like a CdP doesn't go well with more delicate meats or fish.
    But pinot noir does do well with salmon or shrimp.

Just use common sense.

Enjoy the wine.

Oh contrar. Drink it up! Drink it with Pride (Not the wine)

Beaujolais with turkey is like peanut butter with jelly
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

yeah, this seems like a great solution - mostly because it's $7 on amazon. i ordered two of 'em. also, i think i can use them to take nice wine backpacking...right? should be here tomorrow.

yeah... I tend to think that I'm closer to this attitude than anything else. I'm deep into the world of high end coffee, and I tend to believe that 900 other factors impact your palate on a given day before the actual contents of whatever is in your glass. that said, i'm gonna wait for me to get the fancy hydroflask things before I pop open this CdR or this Rioja so I can at least make an attempt to preserve them.

pic relevant because we have a ton of liver in the freezer
    I think you get the most pure taste on a clean palette but it is really fun and cool to see how wine and food will change how each tastes.

Common sense really, like Buster said. I am all about reds, but not with spicy Thai, for example.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

pls don't judge my glassware, idk where my wine glasses are and we're moving/remodeling. glass is from a Moscow homebrewing competition

here is my "I haven't drank wine in two years except for that one time a friend brought a bag of wine to a yurt" review

color: holy shit this is red. or purple. jesus this would stain a lot of things.
    nose: smells like blackberries, hint of vanilla
    taste: whoa holy fucking oak, this is dry as shit. oak, wild (re: slightly unripe) blackberries, sour plum, more oak, vanilla, spicey/slightly bitter notes (mineral? earth? dark chocolate? idk what that is). medium to long lasting finish, more vanilla.
    mouth feel: dry? is that even a way to describe a mouth feel? dry as shit. I feel like I have been licking sandpaper for a few hours

overall: I like this but I could use something just a touch sweeter. it feels almost abrasive in how brash the oak/sour dark fruit presentation is. enjoyable, but certainly an acquired taste.

god I must have an awful palate, pretty sure all of those tasting notes are total bullshit

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

We took a bottle of Blaufränkisch to a dinner that a friend's Indian mother had cooked, great pairing and a lot of fun with the skin-contact Gewürztraminer that started off the evening.

I really enjoy the pairing possibilites with lighter reds, as well as reds meant to be chilled. High tannin wine can be transcendent but has a limited appeal for every day drinking without an accompanying meal, as can be seen above.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    We took a bottle of Blaufränkisch to a dinner that a friend's Indian mother had cooked, great pairing and a lot of fun with the skin-contact Gewürztraminer that started off the evening.

I really enjoy the pairing possibilites with lighter reds, as well as reds meant to be chilled.
    fuck should I have chilled that rioja? drank it around 55-60

fuck idk what the fuck I am doing but now I am slightly drunk building Ikea furniture

fuck should I have chilled that rioja? drank it around 55-60

fuck idk what the fuck I am doing but now I am slightly drunk building Ikea furniture

I edited my post, you're doing fine. I would eat some food with that bottle.

pls don't judge my glassware, idk where my wine glasses are and we're moving/remodeling. glass is from a Moscow homebrewing competition

here is my "I haven't drank wine in two years except for that one time a friend brought a bag of wine to a yurt" review

color: holy shit this is red. or purple. jesus this would stain a lot of things.
    nose: smells like blackberries, hint of vanilla
    taste: whoa holy fucking oak, this is dry as shit. oak, wild (re: slightly unripe) blackberries, sour plum, more oak, vanilla, spicey/slightly bitter notes (mineral? earth? dark chocolate? idk what that is). medium to long lasting finish, more vanilla.
    mouth feel: dry? is that even a way to describe a mouth feel? dry as shit. I feel like I have been licking sandpaper for a few hours

overall: I like this but I could use something just a touch sweeter. it feels almost abrasive in how brash the oak/sour dark fruit presentation is. enjoyable, but certainly an acquired taste.

god I must have an awful palate, pretty sure all of those tasting notes are total bullshit

Honestly -- your palate is pretty spot on for what i'd expect from a 10 year old Rioja reserva. The oak and vanilla are common notes due to the use of a good bit of new wood for most Riojas. From your notes it sounds like it probably is in a bit of a middle stage -- lost a bit of its fruit forwardness and not yet chilled out on the tannins to let more of the earthy notes (leather? is often one in rioja) shine.

To get a feel for how that wine would be young, sometime look for a cheaper, year or two old "Crianza" which is going to show more fruit (and sometimes more oak at the same time) but typically be less astringent. Here's a brief breakdown: https://winefolly.com/deep-dive/rioj...-gran-reserva/

Dry is certainly a way to describe mouthfeel. Typically it's caused by tannins. Winos often say "grippy" or tannic.

Your serving temp is pretty perfect. Even a bit warmer would be OK. The maker of the wine recommends 18-19c

If you like fruit-forward wines, there are a lot of fun lighter styles out there. Beaujolais (aka Gamay), Blaufrankish as gosthop mentions, Schiava, Lambrusco (some super quality producers of this historicaly maligned variatal are now around), Zweigelt, and many grenache/granacha .

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post

I really enjoy the pairing possibilites with lighter reds, as well as reds meant to be chilled. High tannin wine can be transcendent but has a limited appeal for every day drinking without an accompanying meal, as can be seen above.
    Skin contact gewurtz is something I've never had and I love both of those independently. Bottle shot?

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Honestly -- your palate is pretty spot on for what i'd expect from a 10 year old Rioja reserva. The oak and vanilla are common notes due to the use of a good bit of new wood for most Riojas. From your notes it sounds like it probably is in a bit of a middle stage -- lost a bit of its fruit forwardness and not yet chilled out on the tannins to let more of the earthy notes (leather? is often one in rioja) shine.

To get a feel for how that wine would be young, sometime look for a cheaper, year or two old "Crianza" which is going to show more fruit (and sometimes more oak at the same time) but typically be less astringent. Here's a brief breakdown: https://winefolly.com/deep-dive/rioj...-gran-reserva/

Dry is certainly a way to describe mouthfeel. Typically it's caused by tannins. Winos often say "grippy" or tannic.

If you like fruit-forward wines, there are a lot of fun lighter styles out there. Beaujolais (aka Gamay), Blaufrankish as gosthop mentions, Schiava, Lambrusco (some super quality producers of this historicaly maligned variatal are now around), Zweigelt, and many grenache/granacha .
    Umm I could see leather as a tasting note. Maybe that is what I was trying to describe as minerality, but I honestly don't know what I am tasting here. Pipe tobacco would be one I would reference from coffee drinking, but both leather and pipe tobacco always seemed like poor tasting notes, as I have eaten very little of each of those.

I think I would find it easier to drink if it were more fruit forward, but I don't know if easy to drink is what I'm after. My scotch tastes run to the extreme end of the Islay spectrum, and those are not easy drinkers at all. I was a little put off at first, since I didn't read anything about this wine and I wasn't expecting something so fucking dry. Grippy is a good adjective. Sandpaper tongue. Amazing how long that lingers for.

Anyway, good rec on the food. I got some premier organic food to enjoy with this, really high end stuff.

Were you a sommelier in your previous life?!?!?

Umm I could see leather as a tasting note. Maybe that is what I was trying to describe as minerality, but I honestly don't know what I am tasting here. Pipe tobacco would be one I would reference from coffee drinking, but both leather and pipe tobacco always seemed like poor tasting notes, as I have eaten very little of each of those.

I think I would find it easier to drink if it were more fruit forward, but I don't know if easy to drink is what I'm after. My scotch tastes run to the extreme end of the Islay spectrum, and those are not easy drinkers at all. I was a little put off at first, since I didn't read anything about this wine and I wasn't expecting something so fucking dry. Grippy is a good adjective. Sandpaper tongue. Amazing how long that lingers for.

Anyway, good rec on the food. I got some premier organic food to enjoy with this, really high end stuff.

Cheese, crackers and salted cured meats are your friend for almost any Spanish wine.

Wait until you get into sherry...

Got into this tonight

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1637721532.512767.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	256.8 KB 
ID:	393777

Did you let the rioja air for a little?
    Try letting a glass sit for 30 minutes or so and it might open up, soften some of the leather.

I got some Peay yesterday, a few bottles of their 2019 Scallop Shelf. Last night, it was pretty dry and had a bunch of grape concentrate.
    I let it sit overnight in the garage at 50F or so, just corked, nothing else.

Today, it's just great, starts with savory, sweeps through serious structure, a little leather/tobacco, grapeskin but just a touch of sweet at the end.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0227_LI.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	393778  

Skiing can be learned, altruism idk.

Buster drinking cali pinot is how you know the world is coming to an end.

Tonight's bottle while packing (and dinner...polenta, green beans, harissa, poached egg, feta tossed together) - a simple beajoulais. Great minerality and acid, little cedary, sour cherry and plums. Not cru level concentration..but on sale for $15 hell yeah.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6553.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	393779

I’ll take that bet. I’ve skied with some maggots who surprised the shit out of me with their inability to ski and seemed to be unaware of their abilities. Shortly after joining I actual met up with a dude for a side country tour and I thought he was going to have to be rescued. I ended up coaching him on how to side slip down a 33 degree tree run.

Also skied with some rippers who put me to shame.

Those glasses are hall-of-fame material.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Did you let the rioja air for a little?
    Try letting a glass sit for 30 minutes or so and it might open up, soften some of the leather.

I got some Peay yesterday, a few bottles of their 2019 Scallop Shelf. Last night, it was pretty dry and had a bunch of grape concentrate.
    I let it sit overnight in the garage at 50F or so, just corked, nothing else.

Today, it's just great, starts with savory, sweeps through serious structure, a little leather/tobacco, grapeskin but just a touch of sweet at the end.
    damn, yeah, that was actually my thought - as i drank through my second glass i felt like the tannins were generally a little less "on the nose" after it sat in the glass for ~50 minutes. i couldn't tell if i was just getting used to it or if the tannin/oakiness was fading a bit. either way, drinking it got more enjoyable as time went on (it felt less edgy/sharp)

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Skiing can be learned, altruism idk.
    this is a SKIING FORUM, jong. not a dogooder forum. the skis point to the left here because this isn't a goddamn charity.

any questions ask buttah, he'll set you straight

Quote Originally Posted by PB
    Were you a sommelier in your previous life?!?!?

seriously cheesy crackers and wine was dope, 10/10 would do again in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I’ll take that bet. I’ve skied with some maggots who surprised the shit out of me with their inability to ski and seemed to be unaware of their abilities. Shortly after joining I actual met up with a dude for a side country tour and I thought he was going to have to be rescued. I ended up coaching him on how to side slip down a 33 degree tree run.

Also skied with some rippers who put me to shame.
    ha well i'm not that bad, but i am pretty bad. still have tons of fun.

--

thanks all for the wine help, stay tuned for my thanksgiving review of this Coats du Pappy bottle.