Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: Wine Geekery

This one was interesting and surprisingly delish too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5058.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	434780  
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Impressive bottles from Oft and Buster

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    My wife has found a great source for Italian wines and we are living on Amaroni. Early this month we went to Paso Robles and joined 5 wine clubs, so we have a ton of wine in the house right now.
    Impressive!

My wife not-so-accidentally forgot to cancel “our” Fatcork subscription and $400 later I was signing Mr UPS man for “our” box

Nothing on the level of what’s going on in here but thought I’d share this from the Happy Thanksgiving thread.

Had family down in town this weekend for an early turkey day and cracked a bunch of dusties that needed drank. This was the oldest. I was very pleasantly surprised at how well the structure held up and well it drank. Way more earth tones but also a lot more fruit than I expected. It’s obviously been in decline but that’s relative to how well it drank for a basic offering. Good year indeed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	77CB4EA4-F393-4E92-82F1-8E5ED8B05932.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	444.4 KB 
ID:	435043
    I still call it The Jake.

Garagiste has some 1992 Warres port right now. $60 with shipping for 500 ml. I told myself no more wine buys until after the holidays but couldn’t resist.

More tasting notes, mostly <$20 bottles:

• 2021 Stoneleigh Sauvignon Blanc - New Zealand, South Island, Marlborough (11/22/2022)
      Very light lemon in color. Medium minus body. Grapefruit and grass, a little pear and floral notes on nose. More of the same on palate with solid acidity and a little stoniness on the finish. Well-balanced.
    • 2020 Casa Vinicola Botter Casa Marrone Appassimento - Italy, Puglia, Puglia IGT (11/20/2022)
      Dark ruby fringing to garnet. Nose and palate of blueberry and raspberry syrup. Light but well integrated tannins. Quite concentrated but not overpowering. Medium plus body. Nice wine particularly for the money.
    • 2016 de Négoce OG N.305 - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Listrac-Médoc (11/17/2022)
      Pnp. Medium body, ruby to garnet with watery miniscus. Cherries and some dark fruit on the nose plus a polished note that I like in some Bordeaux - almost high gloss leather? A little touch of horse blanket. More of the same on the palate. Medium acid, medium plus tannin. A little hollow in the mid palate but medium plus finish. A nice wine, hoping it becomes a little more integrated with time since it's still on the young side.

Mid palate improved day 2, confirming more time or more air or both would help.
    • 2021 Ninety+ Cellars Sancerre Lot 126 - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Sancerre (11/17/2022)
      Very light pale straw. Medium body. White peach, grapefruit, and white flowers on the nose. Very floral. More of the same on palate with balanced acidity. Fairly full mouth feel. Medium finish. Overall perfumed and pleasant and well balanced
    • 2017 Giordano Barolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (11/15/2022)
      Medium light body and color. Black cherries and asphalt on nose and palate. Grippy tannins and good acid. Better with food than alone. Not ultra complex but well made and solid for $20
    • 2021 Saint Cosme Côtes du Rhône - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (11/11/2022)
      Ruby to garnet with violet tones. Bramble and blackberry nose and palate. Some white pepper on palate too. Nice balance of acid and a little tannin. Medium plus finish. Some stoniness to it too - coal almost? Nice wine.
    • 2016 Bodegas Muriel Rioja Fincas de la Villa Reserva - Spain, La Rioja, Rioja (11/6/2022)
      Ruby fringing to garnet. Medium body. Nose of vanilla, dark red fruit, spice, maybe a little herb. More of the same on palate with well integrated tannins and nice backbone of acidity. Medium finish. Well-balanced, good qpr at $20 and great at $15
    • 2021 Weingut Korrell Johanneshof Riesling - Germany, Nahe (11/2/2022)
      Very light in color. Light body. Mineral, green apple, some melon on nose and palate. Light and racy with plenty of acidity. Mineral driven rather than fruit driven. Light but long finish. Electric, both in terms of acidity and a lack of petrol. My style of dry Riesling. Maybe not ultra complex but worth buying at $15
    • 2019 de Négoce Cabernet Sauvignon OG N.230 - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Red Mountain (10/23/2022)
      Inky opaque purple fringing to dark ruby. Heavy body. Black cherry with a touch of cedar/smoke, maybe little hint of menthol/eucalyptus. Graphite. More of same on palate with mocha. Mocha and eucalyptus linger to a medium length finish. Complex and classy for the $13 or so I paid
    • 2018 Covalli Langhe Nebbiolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (10/22/2022)
      Medium garnet with some browning on the rim. Dusty cherry and tobacco, maybe some asphalt on nose. Brighter cherry on palate with quite a lot of acid and well-integrated but grippy tannins. Lots going on for a $13 bottle - recommended for the price if you like the style.

Tannins calmed down after a 45 minute decant.
    • 2019 Bookcliff Vineyards Ensemble - USA, Colorado, Grand Valley (10/10/2022)
      Over-extracted with no acidity or tannin to speak of, with some sort of metallic note to it as well.
    • 2020 de Négoce Pinot Noir OG N.234 - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (10/3/2022)
      A modern, ripe, fairly concentrated Pinot. Garnet with purple fringing. Cherry and red fruit and forest nose. More of the same on the palate with some pepper and spice. A little leather/tobacco note too. Complex medium plus finish. Great for the $15 price tag
    • 2012 Charles Clement Champagne Millésimé Brut - France, Champagne (10/2/2022)
      Brioche, honey, and almonds on the nose. Light straw medium body fine mousse. Some Carmel apple, hazelnuts. More of the same with lemon curd on the palate. Longish finish. Nice bottle for the wtso price in the low 30s
    • 2020 Louis Jadot Beaujolais-Villages - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Beaujolais-Villages (9/24/2022)
      Peppery red fruit on the nose, little dust in there too. More red fruit and black cherry on palate with a touch of acid to balance things out. Not much in the way of tannins, very fruit forward. Well balanced for the money, maybe a little one-dimensional but hard to complain at $12.
    • 2021 Matua Sauvignon Blanc - New Zealand, South Island, Marlborough (9/24/2022)
      A racy NZ sauv blanc. Light straw color. Lots of grapefruit with some green apple on the nose. More of the same on the palate with good acid to balance and a little minerality. Not ultra complex but well made and hard to beat for value at $9
    • 2020 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Côtes du Rhône Blanc Parallèle “45” - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (9/21/2022)
      Bright straw, medium body. Lemon, honey, maybe some floral or herb notes on the nose. More of the same on the palate, some green apple acidity. Somewhat short finish. Reads a little like a stainless chard to me. Well-made for the $12 price point, but a little "blah" character -wise and one-dimensional.
    • 2020 Loosen Bros. Riesling Dr. L - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (9/18/2022)
      A great little reisling. Bright pale straw color. Nose has lemon and saline with a tiny hint of petrol. Medium body. More of the same on the palate, maybe some white peach, with great bright acidity. A touch of residual sugar on the finish but not enough to turn me off (I generally lean dry for white wines). Outstanding qpr at $12 or so. Great food pairing wine.
    • 2020 Vietti Barbera d'Asti Tre Vigne - Italy, Piedmont, Asti, Barbera d'Asti (9/16/2022)
      Dark ruby to garnet, watery miniscus. Medium plus body. Black cherry and dark fruit on nose and palate. maybe a little VA on the nose but not overpowering. Balanced acidity, light, barely perceptible tannins. Little hint of forest funk but not much on open, but developed nicely with some air.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Garagiste has some 1992 Warres port right now. $60 with shipping for 500 ml. I told myself no more wine buys until after the holidays but couldn’t resist.

Right there with you! We went on a Garagiste ordering sobriety for three months this fall. The heat was too hot. Trickling back into it now

Quote Originally Posted by cravenmorhead View Post
    More tasting notes, mostly <$20 bottles:
    [*]2021 Stoneleigh Sauvignon Blanc - New Zealand, South Island, Marlborough (11/22/2022)
    Very light lemon in color. Medium minus body. Grapefruit and grass, a little pear and floral notes on nose. More of the same on palate with solid acidity and a little stoniness on the finish. Well-balanced.
    ]
    not much makes it above the poutine curtain or at least not the same wines but the BCLDb is carrying the Stoneleigh, also check out their pinot gris and pinot noir
    Last edited by XXX-er; 11-23-2022 at 03:14 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I rarely drink, but I needed a decent bottle of red for short ribs. This was on sale for $9, pretty tasty.

I have no photos but we drank 5 bottles of Tamber Bey tonight.

The pinot was the standout, so good. I don't love the American wine club concept but it's v nice to have friends that subscribe.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    II don't love the American wine club concept but it's v nice to have friends that subscribe.
    This. Wine clubs are like owning a boat. I suspect we have friends who appreciate us more for our Lachini and Ridge memberships haha

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I told myself no more wine buys until after the holidays but couldn’t resist.
    Did you guys get the Black Friday email from de Négoce? I could not resist the mixed case for $118 shipped.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Had a few decent bottles last night with a prosciutto flight. The Avvoltore was a nice jammy post meal drinker. Almost like a tame port. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1669651131.204022.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	199.0 KB 
ID:	435731

Wine Geekery

Name:	Image1669651451.531163.jpg 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	435732

That looks awesome.

All of it.
    I still call it The Jake.

Wine Geekery

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    That looks awesome.

All of it.
    The stand out was an impulse purchase at the supermarket: https://seabear.com/products/weather...moked-scallops

Well, and the Pierre Robert. Which is one of the reasons I get out of bed in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    The stand out was an impulse purchase at the supermarket: https://seabear.com/products/weather...moked-scallops
    I'm sure they were awesome, but were they $70/lb awesome? Even as a holiday splurge that's just too bougie for my blood.

Scallops are pricey these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'm sure they were awesome, but were they $70/lb awesome? Even as a holiday splurge that's just too bougie for my blood.
    You noticed his prosciutto flight, right?

Name:  monocle1.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  7.6 KB

Get two bottles of the fussy pussy.

I see hydraulic turtles.

I see hydraulic turtles.

That's a good portion for one. What did everyone else eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post

Name:	Image1669651451.531163.jpg 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	435732
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Well, aren't you special with your young, under control gastro-esophageal system.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Is there any other kind ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

89 and 90 Sauternes “Cerons” on Garagiste right now. So much for my wine buying moratorium.