Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Wine Geekery

More than fair, since I haven't even come close to tasting the Latour.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Is that center bottle below the Barolo Chateau LaTour?
    Nope. I wish. Thing it's an old burg.... I'll go look later.

I'm really not trying to subtly out humbly brag or brag at all. There's a few interesting bottles, and many less so, but a good stash of Montebello's among a few others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    That is a pretty bold statement. Almost as bold as the taste of a Grand Vin Latour. I do....and probably 50,000,000 other French people who would no doubt enjoy both, but prefer any "first growth" wines.
    Uhhh…Judgment of Paris 1976
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Helping a friend work through some older bottles. Mostly over the hill. St Emilion was the winner for me.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    Helping a friend work through some older bottles. Mostly over the hill.
    That's a shame...

fun tasting tho....
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Wine Geekery

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3820.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	397859Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3817.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	397860Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3818.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	208.9 KB 
ID:	397861

I received this bottle as a gift from a friends personal stash and was worried it maybe a bit long in the tooth. Decanted for 4 hours and it really came around between hours 4-5. Started out tasting like leather and earth with almost no fruit but the fruit came back by the end of the decant. Paired amazingly with some beef Wellington.

Dayum ..... a 37 year old Brunello that wasn't just drinkable but still quality!!
    Your friend knows his shit.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Dayum ..... a 37 year old Brunello that wasn't just drinkable but still quality!!
    Your friend knows his shit.
    I wish I had had the patience 20 years ago to lay down some of the bottles we bought in Bordeaux on our Euro summer holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post

Name:	IMG_3820.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	397859Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3817.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	397860Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3818.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	208.9 KB 
ID:	397861

I received this bottle as a gift from a friends personal stash and was worried it maybe a bit long in the tooth. Decanted for 4 hours and it really came around between hours 4-5. Started out tasting like leather and earth with almost no fruit but the fruit came back by the end of the decant. Paired amazingly with some beef Wellington.
    I want all of that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name:	JBRH.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	398424

Had our last 2013er for Christmas with my mom/brother. I'm really zeroing in on the fact that I prefer Riesling from the Mosel/Saar as well as some of the slate sites from the Nahe, with a bit more cut. Golden honey color, nice and round with a crowd pleasing toastiness. These bottles could be had for $30 throughout the Fall, are a steal at the price, and should have good years ahead of them.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Skin contact gewurtz is something I've never had and I love both of those independently. Bottle shot?

Name:	utopiste.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	398426

Kumpf et Meyer, Bas-Rhin. 2019 Utopiste. I picked up a few bottles last spring. I thought about keeping them around longer to see how the skin contact can extend the life of a gewürtztraminer but they are too delicious. I've learned that I prefer gewürtz to have a slight blend to add more acidity but the skin contact really makes this exciting. Rose water, grapefruit, and roasted tropical fruits.
    The entry level bottles labeled K&M are okay but a bit pricey, what they label Restons Nature is more in line with modern tastes. The pét-nats are fairly available from the RN line, the still wines are more allocated. I have never seen the terroir wines or cremants in Baltimore.
    Camille Rivèrie imports them, she distributes through Juice Box in Denver. I have not had a bad wine from her book but finding them is another story. The grand vin of the Cahors domaine she imports is in my top 5 so far.

I’ve only had a few really good bottles of reisling. I have a couple 12s cellared that I want to let ride for a while. It’s an area I’d really like to explore. It would be awesome to find a quality wine bar with a bunch of aged reislings to taste

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I’ve only had a few really good bottles of reisling. I have a couple 12s cellared that I want to let ride for a while. It’s an area I’d really like to explore. It would be awesome to find a quality wine bar with a bunch of aged reislings to taste

Sounds like you need to take a trip to Deutschland.

https://sourcematerialwine.com/
    They periodically release cellared bottles and have had dinners in NYC, Philadelphia, and Chicago.

If you ever find yourself in DC during the summer, Tail Up Goat does a domestic BTG list every year that includes a few bottles with some age.

My wife and I have pretty disparate tastes in reds but we both enjoy acidic, mineral driven whites. We love Muscadet and Albarino as well. German Riesling happens to have a killer price to quality ratio which makes it attractive to us right now. We are looking forward to days when we can have a well stocked cellar of White Burgundy although climate change may have the last laugh.

I’ll check them for some stock soon. Looks like an interesting site.

Just picked up this bottle from the Rhone valley. Drink with borscht yay or nay?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Borscht isn't easy to pair with wine. Vodka is better. That young syrah wants duck, lamb, bison, elk, venison, etc. Louis Barroul is the man tho...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Borscht isn't easy to pair with wine. Vodka is better. That young syrah wants duck, lamb, bison, elk, venison, etc. Louis Barroul is the man tho...
    Okay yeah that was my thinking too, but I got overly excited and I'm not particularly good at waiting patiently.

I've got a rack of lamb I'll eat with it. For now, dark beer and borscht is a winning, time-honored combination. Vodka is better with selodka (pickled herring)

If that were a domestic Syrah I'd want at least 4 more years on it even with lamb, but can't speak to frog Syrahs

Any Amarone suggestions?

Amarone can be difficult to pair with food because of the richness and intensity that the appassimento process yields. It loves gorgonzola tho so I often do a gorgonzola dijon cream sauce for steak or whatever but you can also do a hearty stew or roast with pan sauce (think osso bucco). It even works with really rich preparations of risotto, especially those finished with some dairy.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

Wine Geekery

Amarone can be difficult to pair with food because of the richness and intensity that the appassimento process yields. It loves gorgonzola tho so I often do a gorgonzola dijon cream sauce for steak or whatever but you can also do a hearty stew or roast with pan sauce (think osso bucco). It even works with really rich preparations of risotto, especially those finished with some dairy.
    Good to know. Had some with a mushroom stroganoff last night and I thought it went really well. I’m a neophyte to Amarone, only had 4-5 bottles ever. I got some CA Erto which is pretty good for the $. I was looking for recommendations on bottles of Amarone to buy.

Right. Buy older ones if you can get your hands on them as, like many fancy wines, they can really improve after several years in the bottle. When it's done traditionally, appassimento produces a ton of tertiary flavor but it also produces a ton of fruit. Time in the bottle allows the fruit to mellow, exposing the non fruit character beneath it. Fun stuff for sure with the right kinda grub.

Right. Buy older ones if you can get your hands on them as, like many fancy wines, they can really improve after several years in the bottle. When it's done traditionally, appassimento produces a ton of tertiary flavor but it also produces a ton of fruit. Time in the bottle allows the fruit to mellow, exposing the non fruit character beneath it. Fun stuff for sure with the right kinda grub.
    Should I not drink this Rhone bottle? Or should I buy another one and sit on it? Am I going to need to just collect wine for the next 5-20 years before I can actually start to enjoy it?

I'm no stranger to cellaring beers, but I kinda want to cook lamb and drink fancy wine now.

I vote to pop the cork, if you love it then you can buy more and maybe cellar accordingly while you can find it. My cellar is only about four bottles though, it's not really my style.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi