Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Wine Geekery

Wine Geekery

Nothing like a good bottle of wine to brighten your day. Personally I love almost any wine that is a good expression of its grapes, whether it is red, white, or Rose. Syrah, Mourvèdre, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, petit Verdot, Sangiovese, Zinfandel, Merlot, and many others are all welcome in my cellar.

So what are you drinking? Any good deals around?

Personally I’ve been on a De Negoce kick recently for value wines. Most of it still much too young to open, but those I’ve had seem very solid. His Willamette Chardonnay is excellent.

I bought half a case of Mas Amiel 1980 dessert wine and opening the first one this weekend for my birthday. Hopefully it is worth it. Dinner itself will be accompanied by a 2014 Windy Oaks Reserve Pinot I’ve been saving.

Anyone ever buy from Cellar Raiders? They have some intriguing wines that would spare me the decade plus wait times but I haven’t taken the plunge yet.

I store my Halloween costume in the wine cellar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210628_144151-01.jpeg 
Views:	145 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	378219
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

No mention of my favorite grape - Barbera...

Now I'm thirsty for a Barbera. Dammit.

It's CellarAiders I think.

And yes, I scour their offerings.
    I got a few 83 Climens sauternes from them in the last 6 months.
    Last Bottle also has the occasional worthy one, they had some Failla pinot from Willamette and some Willakenzie for a song.

I used to buy from Premier Cru before that Ponzi (not the winery) scheme fell apart. Winebid too. But now all that shit has gotten so expensive, so I'm back to buying direct from Broadley, Hirsch, Littorai and Peay, mostly pinots with a few chardonnays thrown in. I have a stash I'm working slowly through. Favorites include Hudelot-Noellat, Bertheau, Dominique Laurent, J. Voillot, JM Boillot, for the value. Back in the 90s I could afford Vogues, Dujacs, Grivots, etc, but they're ridiculously $ now. I've stashed a bunch of Raymond Lafon, Suduiraut, Doisy Daene, Lafaurie-Peyraguey, de Fargues sauternes.

I found an amazing deal on some 2002 Charles Noellat Gevrey Chambertins 1er crus a few months ago from K&L.

The wines hang around since my wife doesn't drink much.

Under valued: Broadley Estate, Lafaurie-Peyraguey.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

During the summer I like crispy whites, Tavel and an occasional red burgundy.
    White Bordeaux, Italian Pinot Grigio, German Franken .
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I'm into the new zealand wines , Stoneleigh sav blanc/ pinot grigio/ pinot noir
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Name:	Image1624917677.942067.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	378225

Buster or anyone other Pinot fans, you familiar with this Pinot at all? I got it as a gift and debating how long to store. Limited info, general consensus is it’s too young now, and is capable of keeping for “decades”. Prime drinking window 2025-2030? https://www.domaineserene.com/produc...-PN-2017-750ml

Unless you just like older reds I'd guess that should be drinking well in the 7 to 10 year old range. That cuvee is ripe and as a result it'll be generous and friendly throughout it's lifespan.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

This thread is like Cruiser and Buster catnip.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I store my Halloween costume in the wine cellar

Name:	20210628_144151-01.jpeg 
Views:	145 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	378219
    Nice cellar cruiser. That looks about like what I want to build in my crawl space, except I’ll definitely need artificial cooling. I’m hoping to build something functional, that can hold around 2,000 bottles. Just in case.

I need to learn more about Borolo. I’ve only had a few good bottles that were aged appropriately, but every one has been an experience. Cellaraiders has a bunch, but don’t really want to research 20 different wines then plop down $100-$300 and hope I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    ...and some Willakenzie for a song.
    I love Willakenzie Estate wines. The Pinots, the Gamay Noir, the Pinot Meunier, all fantastic. My palate isn't as refined as others but I haven't had a Willakenzie wine that I didn't absolutely love. Frankly the pricing isn't too bad considering what some of the more popular labels sell for.

I'm usually pretty satisfied with anything from the Cote du Rhone. The GSM combo makes a really easy wine to drink for my taste.

Recently though, Costco has had this Casa Santos Lima Red Portugal Blend, on sale for under $5/bottle. It's total plonk but value for money, I don't think I've found a bottle that I Iike more for under $12. At that price I can drink as much of it as I want without having to dip into the kids college fund.

Wine drinking soundtrack below. It seems like the good songs about wine are rarely about good wine, but it's better to listen to good songs about bad wine while you drink good wine than it is to listen to bad songs about good wine while you drink any kind of wine. In fact there is something quite satisfying about drinking good wine while listening to a good song about bad wine. Makes you feel like you "made it," if you know what I mean.

Wharf Rat. August West was drinking some really shitty wine
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Anybody try any of this? The 100 years of wine making drew me in and I upgraded from Vella.

Name:	D707F88A-797E-4B8C-BB32-CCCFFB8794B9.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	514.1 KB 
ID:	378240

, and yeah, that is what I drink.

Domaine Serene is my favorite Pinot Noir. I’m pretty good friends with their old winemaker Eleni. Anyway, that one should be great.
    And Buster, I really like Failla, I didn’t realize they had any Pinot from Oregon so that’s kind of cool.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

For anyone interested in the wine market, you should check out the State of the Industry, from Rob McMillan

https://www.svb.com/globalassets/tre...eport-2021.pdf

On Supply:

When 2020 totals are calculated, we are guessing that California will have crushed 3.3 million tons, which would be the smallest harvest since 2011. The Pacific Northwest harvests in both Oregon and Washington will also come in smaller than normal.
    • Supply in the West is largely balanced going into 2021, but overall growth rates in sales will still be modest, and some acres of vines will still need to be removed in California and Washington in particular in order to sustain the balance.
    • Grape and bulk prices will stabilize at lower levels than we’ve seen in the past five years. Buyers will remain cautious on price.
    • California vineyard prices in premium regions will remain lower than their prior high points, flattening in the best areas and softening in secondary regions.

Sounds like decent news for consumers but 2020 had a harvest of 3.9 million tons. A 15% decrease.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I been making the kit wines for > 20 yars, 4 kits a year is 120 bottles for > 20 years is like 2500 bottles @ 4$ a bottle by my cocktail napkin math

So I'm gettn out of the bidness, cuz I can afford to burn off more of the pension checks by buying wine instead of making it

hopefuly my night time rants on TGR will not suffer but kit wine made me what i am today
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Hah, my dad use to make his own wine
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

This is better than the 2017:

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post

Name:	Image1624917677.942067.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	378225

Buster or anyone other Pinot fans, you familiar with this Pinot at all? I got it as a gift and debating how long to store. Limited info, general consensus is it’s too young now, and is capable of keeping for “decades”. Prime drinking window 2025-2030? https://www.domaineserene.com/produc...-PN-2017-750ml
    I'm not familiar with that particular bottling, but I like Domain Serene a lot. Their style has both a little jam as well as the tannins that makes a great balance.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Anybody try any of this? The 100 years of wine making drew me in and I upgraded from Vella.

Some people had us over for dinner and they knew I liked pinot, but they whipped out a Mogen David which they later admitted to see what my reaction would be.

I held out my glass for a pour, but they withdrew the MD and brought out some other wine.

Evidently I passed the test. Now we drink and have dinner regularly. Great folks.

I remember with clarity my wine epiphany.
    I didn't normally drink wine, sure I'd have a cup every now and then, but it wasn't really a focus for me.

Then some friends took me to a nice restaurant in Portland, Plainfield Mayurs, circa 1991, which was cited in Wine Spectator as having an impressive wine list.

My friend orders a $40 dollar bottle of 1986 Drouhin Bonnes Mares. I scoffed at the price and kept my opinion to myself about it. The sommelier brought out a weird contraption that held the bottle with a crank that slowly tilted it to pour glasses.

Drinking that wine blew my mind, I could not believe how good it was. All the rich sweetness of welches wrapped up in this bizarre tobaccowy, meat juice, dry grape skin spectra, layers and layers of flavors.

It sent me. I have never recovered.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post

i didnt wants to goober up your important day traders thread
    but i so gots your franzia cup covered
    gold rimmed ticker style
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno