Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Wine Geekery

My buddy, Sean Larkin's vineyard:
    https://jacklarkin.com

Prolly one of the best Cab Francs in Napa.
    Also, he is the brains behind Larkans
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 12.34.08 PM.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	534.9 KB 
ID:	405609

Too bad that the product is not carried in UT. But, if you are just about anyplace else from Cali. to The Cape, give it a try. I'd bet that you will enjoy it.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Camarda still owns and produces? Kinda knew him in a previous life.
    Yeah. The compound I mentioned above is basically his house and a bunch of out buildings for production, storage and events. Obviously ships in the grapes from his Richland locale. His place is really architecturally cool as well.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I would be the first to admit I do not know shit about wine from Yurp, so maybe you guys could help educate me. Yesterday, Mrs L2S showed me an 8 pack of Bordeaux wines she had purchased for about $12 a bottle. She brought me a glass and I thought it tasted fantastic and went to ask her which bottle she opened. Turns out it was the last of the Pessimist (Costco for $18) that we had the previous night. She opened the French wine next and while good, the color was a bit lighter (easy to see through) and definitely lighter on the pallet (not my thing). So any suggestions I can find for $20 or less to share with her?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Mouton Cadet for $12 is good all day long. It is a very popular wine in France and is easily bought here. Also, Château Morin Saint-Estèphe for $20 earned a 93 rating.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I would be the first to admit I do not know shit about wine from Yurp, so maybe you guys could help educate me. Yesterday, Mrs L2S showed me an 8 pack of Bordeaux wines she had purchased for about $12 a bottle. She brought me a glass and I thought it tasted fantastic and went to ask her which bottle she opened. Turns out it was the last of the Pessimist (Costco for $18) that we had the previous night. She opened the French wine next and while good, the color was a bit lighter (easy to see through) and definitely lighter on the pallet (not my thing). So any suggestions I can find for $20 or less to share with her?
    Not Bordeaux, but recently picked up a Bodega Garzon Tannat Reserva from Costco that was great. Never had a Tannat before, this one is from Uruguay. Lots of body, but really easy drinking and smooth. Will be looking for more when I go back.

She brought me a glass and I thought it tasted fantastic and went to ask her which bottle she opened. Turns out it was the last of the Pessimist (Costco for $18) that we had the previous night. She opened the French wine next and while good, the color was a bit lighter (easy to see through) and definitely lighter on the pallet (not my thing). So any suggestions I can find for $20 or less to share with her?
    The trick is that the pessimist has a little bit of residual sugar. That's what makes it feel fat and viscous (and satisfying) on your palate. It's a premium category that is really gaining traction in the us market. Daou, who make the pessimist, does a Cabernet that you'd prolly dig. Also worth looking for Napa Valley Quilt red blend or Cabernet. St Hubert's may also be available in your area and they do a red blend and a cab that share that profile. The Unshackled wines may be another option in your budget.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

We love the Daou cab and quite frankly, I love most everything from Paso Robles these days. We have 3 wine clubs memberships and they all send us outstanding wines but the average price for wine club members is $35 a bottle. If I could find good wine for $20 a bottle I would be much happier.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Drouhin on the table tonight.

Name:	Image1644721341.574854.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	405662

Livin' the dream yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Drouhin on the table tonight.

Name:	Image1644721341.574854.jpg 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	405662

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Camarda still owns and produces? Kinda knew him in a previous life.
    small world. My brother’s best friend is his nephew, also named Chris. Fun spot on Vashon especially when you’re there with friends n family treatment

Nothing unique but a can’t go wrong Caymus Cab got cracked tonight to accompany a smoked/reverse sear ribeye.

Really looking forward to trying this gift from a client of mineClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1644725523.289541.jpg 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	405667

Livin' the dream yo.
    You should see how big Thing 1 is these days, P. Lucky man.

We love the Daou cab and quite frankly, I love most everything from Paso Robles these days. We have 3 wine clubs memberships and they all send us outstanding wines but the average price for wine club members is $35 a bottle. If I could find good wine for $20 a bottle I would be much happier.
    Try some of the wines from De Negoce. Best qp$ I’ve found. To get the really good deals you need to buy a case right after it is bottled. So the wine needs to sit for 6+ months before you drink it. But I’ve had a lot of $10-$20 wines from them that will hit with $50+. He also has a bottle shop where you can buy individual bottles that are past bottle shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    You should see how big Thing 1 is these days, P. Lucky man.
    Crazy how that happens, right? My thing #1 is now closer to 30 than 20. WTF? Yeah, we are lucky!

Neufox, thanks for that. I have had some good Cameron Hughes wines from Costco. Looking at the website there are many zins to chose from. Have you tried any you liked?

I just received some Zins but haven’t opened any. Will be popping one or two in the coming weeks.

It took my brother a decade, but he's got an allocation of Screaming Eagle. I told him to flip it. It's just wine.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Not sure what the retail is these days but I'd flip the hell out of it.

A decade back I spent a bunch of time in that vineyard installing some fancy sensors to measure sap flow, take fruit and leaf samples. Interesting site.

Some years later was at a series of dinners where a couple bottles were opened. Good juice, but I'd rather take a ski trip to Alaska.

All that said, SE isn't a wine for drinking. It's a wine to show off you big stinking hog and how important you are and why other should do business with you. When I was working in the cellar of a Napa winery a grower came in and gave my boss a bottle as a bribe for us to buy his fruit. We took 30 tons from that vineyard over the next 2 weeks. Kinda clicked for me right then what the purpose of all these cult wines really is.

So tell him to flip it, unless you have some people to impress or influence (and who give a shit about that sort of thing).

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Flip it for sure! Or mix it fifty fifty with coke, Beijing style.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Couple dead soldiers from the other night with Thing #1. With a smoked pork butt.

Syrah/Grenache was softer than I'd hoped for, but not unexpected. The Zin was spectacular. I hadn't put Zin in my mouth for a long time having given up on it due to the shit way so many make it anymore. Draper did it right, at least in the days of that vintage.

These were ATP wines, limited production.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4126.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	407836  

The ATP list is always a strange but entertaining trip - many selections are not something you'd immediately recommend to a zin lover, but tend to stick in you brain as an interesting twist on an under the radar grape.

.... and poo on those who think liking a vintage zin is pretentious.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    It took my brother a decade, but he's got an allocation of Screaming Eagle. I told him to flip it. It's just wine.
    https://youtu.be/WvP3aCu30jA
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I'm slowly drinking my way through years of being an ATP subscriber. Gave it up a while back is the costs were getting a little nutty.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    The ATP list is always a strange but entertaining trip - many selections are not something you'd immediately recommend to a zin lover, but tend to stick in you brain as an interesting twist on an under the radar grape.

.... and poo on those who think liking a vintage zin is pretentious.

Ha! Us too; and they don't make trustworthy gifts to reduce the inventory.

Name:	IMG_4058.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	175.5 KB 
ID:	408191

Photo from last night. The BD didn’t have enough decant time but everyone scrambled to try it. I think Scarlett was actually my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post

Name:	IMG_4058.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	175.5 KB 
ID:	408191

Photo from last night. The BD didn’t have enough decant time but everyone scrambled to try it. I think Scarlett was actually my favorite.

Was the Cotes a bit long in the tooth?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.