Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Wine Geekery

Wine Geekery

Who wants to go in on a group buy of the 16 year Pinot vertical fromRibbon Ridge on Garagiste?

I’m trying to think of a reason I could expense this…

That’s a pretty cool offering. 03-18, how many times in your life do you get to taste 16 years. Would be a sweet thing to serve to about 15-20 people. I’m not even sure the best way to taste them, break into several verticals you have over several days or get a big group and go through them all.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by neufox47; 11-17-2021 at 04:57 PM.

I just got that email too....
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I was in Salt Lake today for some medical stuff related to my liver, so I decided to stop by the wine store to celebrate (and to season it a little bit). Ended up with a CdR (as the industry insiders call it), a 2011 rioja ( I was still Mormon when these grapes were grown), and a Portuguese vinho verde (where I serve my mission, so I've got a bit of a soft spot).

Pls rate my ignorant choices. Also, how long does wine stay good for after it's opened?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

That's not just a CdR, that a CdP (Chateauneuf du Pape) which is the premier AOC (e.g. controlled region) of the larger Southern Rhone Valley. Deserves a decent meal paired with it.

Sorta depends on the wine as to how long it is good. A vinho verde drink the whole bottle in one evening cause you'll lose the charateristic spritz. Older wines tend to not hold up as well over a day or two after as the fruit fades fast. IME really nothing goes past 48hrs well unless it's not truly opened (that is, poured with a coravin system).

Hope the liver is well!

4-5 days tops. Refrigerate with stopper (not the cork) or keep in cool dark place.
    Drinking good wine with a bad liver. That's core.
    Wines with a lot of tannins last the longest: Cabs, Nebbiolo, Syrah
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 11-23-2021 at 06:55 AM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

For anyone who likes to learn via videos -- I highly recommend the wineking youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb7...vQz9LPRK4xyzfA

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    That's not just a CdR, that a CdP (Chateauneuf du Pape) which is the premier AOC (e.g. controlled region) of the larger Southern Rhone Valley. Deserves a decent meal paired with it.

Sorta depends on the wine as to how long it is good. A vinho verde drink the whole bottle in one evening cause you'll lose the charateristic spritz. Older wines tend to not hold up as well over a day or two after as the fruit fades fast. IME really nothing goes past 48hrs well unless it's not truly opened (that is, poured with a coravin system).

Hope the liver is well!
    Interesting; I've actually had a couple of wines that were better 48 hours out than when first opened. One was even a Zin (Radio-Coteau). It's one thing to need to "breath" a bit but to go from "meh" to "wow" over an extended period of time has always mystified me.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post

Hope the liver is well!
    ahhh CdP. the dude probably knew I wasn't actually an industry insider because I used the wrong acronym. how embarrassing!

the rioja was only $27 and a few guys in the wine shop said it was one of the best values they had. stoked to try it.

oliver the liver is doing very well, just trying to get him properly seasoned before I re-home him. today was CT scan day. some day I'll do an organ donation trip report for both kidders and oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Also, how long does wine stay good for after it's opened?
    Port, sauternes, banyuls, tokaji, and other sweet wines stay good for a while as long as kept cool and stoppered. I'd say they last the longest after being opened.
    I find that chardonnays if kept cool and stoppered also do pretty well.
    Generally, pinot noir is brittle and doesn't sit well after being opened more than a day or so. There are exceptions. Similarly for Rioja.
    The next most robust ime, but not as invariant as the sweets or chards, are the burlier reds like CdR, CdP. Even then, more than 2 days and I think they'd be gone over.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Port, sauternes, banyuls, tokaji, and other sweet wines stay good for a while as long as kept cool and stoppered. I'd say they last the longest after being opened.
    I find that chardonnays if kept cool and stoppered also do pretty well.
    Generally, pinot noir is brittle and doesn't sit well after being opened more than a day or so. There are exceptions. Similarly for Rioja.
    The next most robust ime, but not as invariant as the sweets or chards, are the burlier reds like CdR, CdP. Even then, more than 2 days and I think they'd be gone over.
    Wine stopper? Oh yeah that thing you try to remember to put on the second bottle.

Drink the Rioja now. The CDP can wait a couple of years....or not. Both would be great with red meat and bold flavors.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Drink the Rioja now. The CDP can wait a couple of years....or not. Both would be great with red meat and bold flavors.
    now as in tonight?

i'm drinking kvas tonight with a dinner of fish sticks and power greens. doubt I can stomach a whole bottle of wine, also, i'm not sure the fish sticks and rioja combo is a winner.

Kvas? That brings back childhood memories…

Wine Geekery

oliver the liver is doing very well, just trying to get him properly seasoned before I re-home him. today was CT scan day. some day I'll do an organ donation trip report for both kidders and oliver.

Wait, what? You are donating a kidney AND part of your liver? That doesn’t seem like a great idea man. Everything ok? Don’t die.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Wait, what? You are donating a kidney AND part of your liver? That doesn’t seem like a great idea man. Everything ok? Don’t die.
    kidney long gone (Nov '19) and my kidney performance numbers (creatinine clearance and GFR) look like textbook healthy male numbers for a person with two kidneys - not healthy post-donation numbers. according to my docs, the only way they could differentiate me from someone with two kidneys would be via imaging - everything else is textbook. pre-donation blood work looks awesome, so we're moving ahead. roughly 50 people have donated two organs, and, if approved, I'd be the first double-donor at IMC. cool shit, I trust my surgeon (I tour with her, incidentally), and I would be stoked to go through with this.

like many millennials, I grew up wanting to make a difference, but have found relatively few satisfying venues to do so. my career is far from altruistic (though not malicious or harmful), and I mostly just do whatever the fuck I want all the time (skiing, climbing, similarly selfish pursuits). turns out organ donation is hella fun, and I selfishly get to enjoy it while I'm alive (vs donating after I die, when I won't be around for the ego boost).

so yeah maybe not the smartest thing I've done, but far from the dumbest.

This is a really stupid question, but, since livers regenerate and all, do you have to donate the whole thing? Or just a piece, that you can farm into a whole 'nother one for future use?

I admire you, mang. Kudos!

BTW, there are some great 1/2 bottle s of Rioja (Muga) at the State liquor store. Better drinking an entire 1/2 bottle than a whole bottle over 3-5 days
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post
    This is a really stupid question, but, since livers regenerate and all, do you have to donate the whole thing? Or just a piece, that you can farm into a whole 'nother one for future use?
    Actually, that is more or less what they do. They take a portion.

You're a good dude tgapp!

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I admire you, mang. Kudos!

BTW, there are some great 1/2 bottle s of Rioja (Muga) at the State liquor store. Better drinking an entire 1/2 bottle than a whole bottle over 3-5 days
    goddammit, i wish i had known about this before. trying to find people to split a bottle of wine with is a bit challenging - wifey doesn't drink, and i move in a fairly PBR-based circle. a bottle of wine in 24 hours feels like a genuine commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post
    so your liver weighs about ~3lbs and has two lobes (four, really, but for the purpose of a surgical discussion, two) - your right lobe is like 80% of your total volume (and it also has your gall bladder and bile ducts and the two other lobes attached to it), your left lobe is 20% (give or take). they're separated by a ligament (the falciform ligament), and they both feed the same hepatic vein (the out line from the liver).

when you donate part of your liver, you're really just giving away one of the two primary lobes. for an adult male donor, your left lobe is suitable for transplant into children and women (and smaller sized men), and your right lobe is suitable for transplant into other adult males of similar size. because of the difference in size, left lobe donation is considerably less invasive/impactful on the donor (smaller incision, most of the surgery can be done laparoscopically). i've indicated a preference for left-lobe donation , but they evaluate the transplant suitability of both - since i don't have a recipient lined up, the surgical team can be way more flexible in terms of what side they pick.

contrary to popular belief, your liver doesn't perform some sort of magical starfish trick where it regrows an appendage. instead, the remaining lobe swells in size and capacity to match the needs of your body. consequently, you can only donate part of your liver once, since the surgeons use the dividing line (the falciform ligament) to separate out the two lobes - they cannot bisect one of the lobes, otherwise you would just bleed out. the good news is, the surgical wounds themselves take longer to heal than your actual organ.

Take a new 12oz water bottle and dump it into a glass then, immediately after opening a bottle of wine you're not going to finish, fill the water bottle until there's no air inside and cap it carefully. Throw it in the back of the fridge and it'll last a couple weeks with no appreciable oxidation if you don't open it or warm it up. Key is not to allow any air to remain in the bottle and to decant it into the water bottle immediately after opening the wine.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Take a new 12oz water bottle and dump it into a glass then, immediately after opening a bottle of wine you're not going to finish, fill the water bottle until there's no air inside and cap it carefully. Throw it in the back of the fridge and it'll last a couple weeks with no appreciable oxidation if you don't open it or warm it up. Key is not to allow any air to remain in the bottle and to decant it into the water bottle immediately after opening the wine.
    Name:  382822.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  100.7 KB

Rarely use it cuz we’re drunks, but this works great
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1637694242.341496.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	317.3 KB 
ID:	393730
    Oxygen is bad for wine.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

kidney long gone (Nov '19) and my kidney performance numbers (creatinine clearance and GFR) look like textbook healthy male numbers for a person with two kidneys - not healthy post-donation numbers. according to my docs, the only way they could differentiate me from someone with two kidneys would be via imaging - everything else is textbook. pre-donation blood work looks awesome, so we're moving ahead. roughly 50 people have donated two organs, and, if approved, I'd be the first double-donor at IMC. cool shit, I trust my surgeon (I tour with her, incidentally), and I would be stoked to go through with this.

like many millennials, I grew up wanting to make a difference, but have found relatively few satisfying venues to do so. my career is far from altruistic (though not malicious or harmful), and I mostly just do whatever the fuck I want all the time (skiing, climbing, similarly selfish pursuits). turns out organ donation is hella fun, and I selfishly get to enjoy it while I'm alive (vs donating after I die, when I won't be around for the ego boost).

Very cool and good on you for doing it. Hope it all goes well and you make a fast recovery.

Tgapp has quickly become the most interesting dude on TGR.

Amazing, dude.