Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Wine Geekery

Organic German Weissburgunder in a liter bottle!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220115_194546-02.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	401440
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Okay yeah the whole wine and food thing, I get it, I really fucking get it.

Food softens the acidity, brings out way more mineral complexity (while still maintaining the fruity goodness), and takes the edge off the finish.

Damn this works well.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    You're hooked! There's food specific wine, there's cocktail wine, there's swill, and there's those rare, very special universal (excluding swill) wines. Wines that both improve the food and are improved by the food are what it's all about.

Wine Geekery

Please pour into proper stemware prior to future reviews. Is that a farg’n beer snifter of sorts?Name:  IMG_3537.JPG
Views: 381
Size:  82.8 KB
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Please pour into proper stemware prior to future reviews. Is that a farg’n beer snifter of sorts?
    It's a special commemorative glass from the first annual Moscow Homebrewing Festival and Competition, which I attended. I like to think that literally everything I have drank out of this glass is better than what I had in it that day.

I have real glass stemware, likely in a box somewhere. Drinking out of that would threaten my status as winejong though.

It's a special commemorative glass from the first annual Moscow Homebrewing Festival and Competition, which I attended. I like to think that literally everything I have drank out of this glass is better than what I had in it that day.

I have real glass stemware, likely in a box somewhere. Drinking out of that would threaten my status as winejong though.

Total joke. I assume a Moscow Homebrew Festival rivals those in Idaho.
    Uno mas

Mmm that frappato
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Wine Jong doesn't make up shit, he just reads what's on the label. WTF even is a Gigondas?

But yeah, valid point about the acidity. To be fair, I was sipping on this while cooking (lamb), so I'll pour myself another glass when I sit down to eat. And I don't want a totally neutered bottle, maybe just something not as edgy. We'll see when I drink this with dinner.

And shiraz and syrah are the same thing?? Shiraz just sounds cheaper, like the rhinestone of the wine world. Damn.

Shiraz is just Aussie speak for Syrah. Apparently in Aus they actually pronounce the a as a short vowel too. Fucking aussies, I love ‘em but…

Have you had any good Pinot Noir yet? I feel like Pinot is your wine given your coffee tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Organic German Weissburgunder in a liter bottle!

Name:	20220115_194546-02.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	401440
    Bubble bath?

Wine Jong doesn't make up shit, he just reads what's on the label. WTF even is a Gigondas?

But yeah, valid point about the acidity. To be fair, I was sipping on this while cooking (lamb), so I'll pour myself another glass when I sit down to eat. And I don't want a totally neutered bottle, maybe just something not as edgy. We'll see when I drink this with dinner.

And shiraz and syrah are the same thing?? Shiraz just sounds cheaper, like the rhinestone of the wine world. Damn.

Louis Barroul owns the Chateau St. Cosme in Giogandas. Estate wines are labeled Chateau St. Cosme. He is also a negotiant, someone who buys other producers juice or wine and bottles under his name. Guigal is another estate and negotiant in the Rhône.

Barroul negotiant wine is labeled St. Cosme. Generally high quality and good price. The St Cosme Giogandas is really good and usually less than 20 per bottle
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Have you had any good Pinot Noir yet? I feel like Pinot is your wine given your coffee tastes.
    One of the great rabbit holes of wine geekery. You'll never look back. Danger Will Robinson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Shiraz is just Aussie speak for Syrah. Apparently in Aus they actually pronounce the a as a short vowel too. Fucking aussies, I love ‘em but…

i haven't, no. i mean - i've had plenty of pinot when i was mostly playing the "best bottle i can find for $15 or less" game, and now i'm playing the "best bottle i can find for $50 or less" game.

and honestly - with coffee, i just like really great coffee. i do tend to drink a fair bit of weird-ass naturals and funky processed coffees, but well-done coffee is well-done coffee. at first blush (and on it's own) i found that Rhone from last night to be a bit bracing (not unlike a good Kenyan), but food softened it and brought out additional complexity/minerality. i would pick up another bottle in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Louis Barroul owns the Chateau St. Cosme in Giogandas. Estate wines are labeled Chateau St. Cosme. He is also a negotiant, someone who buys other producers juice or wine and bottles under his name. Guigal is another estate and negotiant in the Rhône.

Barroul negotiant wine is labeled St. Cosme. Generally high quality and good price. The St Cosme Giogandas is really good and usually less than 20 per bottle
    now i'm even more confused. i thought gigondas was some sort of WWE wrestling move, like a suplex or something. maybe something you yelled at the beginning of a dinner party.

--

places to start with a good pinot bottle?

The French system can be confusing but it mostly makes sense once you get used to it. Each appellation (aoc) represents a specific land area and there are rules to follow on what kinds of grapes can be grown, somethings on how they are farmed like plant density and pruning techniques, and maximum harvest amounts. Appellations often share a name with the principal town or village from where they are from but they can also stack inside each other.

Gigondas is a “cru” aoc within a very large catch all cotes du Rhone aoc. It’s also the name of a village, where the physical address of your wine was made.

St Joseph so also a cru within cotes du rhone, albeit quite a bit to the north. Normally it falls in with the other northern crus- cote roti, condrieu, croze hermitage, hermitage, and cornas. So if you liked this one you can keep looking there. All of the red wine in the north is 100% Syrah. IGP Collines-Rhodaniennes Syrah (what I’m drinking tonight) is another option in the same camp, largely made by the same producers- and cheaper!

Gigondas, and the rest of the Rhone valley are blended wines typically Grenache dominant, but they have a lot of flexibility on what they can do. The climate is warmer in the south (lower acidity) and the terrain is much steeper in the north.

And then, keep in mind - everything changes *every* year. Which adds to the complexity over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    It's CellarAiders I think.

And yes, I scour their offerings.
    I got a few 83 Climens sauternes from them in the last 6 months.
    Last Bottle also has the occasional worthy one, they had some Failla pinot from Willamette and some Willakenzie for a song.

I used to buy from Premier Cru before that Ponzi (not the winery) scheme fell apart. Winebid too. But now all that shit has gotten so expensive, so I'm back to buying direct from Broadley, Hirsch, Littorai and Peay, mostly pinots with a few chardonnays thrown in. I have a stash I'm working slowly through. Favorites include Hudelot-Noellat, Bertheau, Dominique Laurent, J. Voillot, JM Boillot, for the value. Back in the 90s I could afford Vogues, Dujacs, Grivots, etc, but they're ridiculously $ now. I've stashed a bunch of Raymond Lafon, Suduiraut, Doisy Daene, Lafaurie-Peyraguey, de Fargues sauternes.

I found an amazing deal on some 2002 Charles Noellat Gevrey Chambertins 1er crus a few months ago from K&L.

The wines hang around since my wife doesn't drink much.

Under valued: Broadley Estate, Lafaurie-Peyraguey.
    TGapp - Buster has some great recommendations. I’m a huge fan of Windy Oaks in Santa Cruz.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    Bubble bath?
    Filled that big bowl with nice fresh snow to keep the wine cold and it all froze around the bottle!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

Anybody want a winery? Kurt & Vicki are retiring and selling Rulo winery in W2. 2.5m

https://www.crexi.com/properties/654...walla-walla-wa
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Wine Geekery

Popped my first bottle of de negoce 274 and man is this a good cab for $30 a bottle delivered. So elegant. I’ve had a lot of bottles that were $50 - $150 that were no where near as good as this.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Managed a quick Garagiste pick up before our flight home on Monday. 25 bottles stuffed into two checked bags, survived to refill the stores with some interesting bottles - Tasmanian, Croatian, Dolimiti, Cali Sangiovese, nice Chablis and even a *Gigondas* to ponder.

places to start with a good pinot bottle?
    I'm a little late here but I'll second the recommendation to ask Buster.

With that said, I'm a big fan of Oregon Pinot. If you want something that's easy to find and pretty representative, it's maybe cliché, but I don't think you can go wrong with Domaine Drouhin. That's puts you pretty squarely in the $50/bottle category. Across the street from Domaine Drouhin is Domaine Serene which is also good.

this is drinking like a young wine. lots of bright berry. interesting. glad my brother has ‘too much of it’.

Name:	IMG_4662.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	404584
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Opulent super Tuscan with 70/30 Sangio and Cab clocking in at 15.5% on the label. Showing really well at 13yo. Gonna be decent with my sous vide rack of lamb here in a bit!

Name:	20220211_175614-01.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	405524

I'll wave my pinot from 9318
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0322_LI.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	405544  
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    I'm a little late here but I'll second the recommendation to ask Buster.

With that said, I'm a big fan of Oregon Pinot. If you want something that's easy to find and pretty representative, it's maybe cliché, but I don't think you can go wrong with Domaine Drouhin. That's puts you pretty squarely in the $50/bottle category. Across the street from Domaine Drouhin is Domaine Serene which is also good.
    I guzzle Oregon Pinots cause there are so many good ones in the 30-60 range and I get to stop in on the way to the coast. Serene beats the drouhin by a nose for me.

I’ve been lucky to drink a lot of this stuff now that it’s local. Order online, drive down the road to the compound, get greeted by a goofy wandering yellow lab, walk into the unstaffed storage area, find your name and drive off. Plus there is some great hanging meat to ogle (Rontele’s favorite thing to do).

Name:	IMG_1454.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	405560

Name:	IMG_1455.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	405561

Name:	IMG_1456.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	405562

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

3 points for Art. 2 for the wine and 1 for the Rontele dig.

If we’re back on Oregon Pinots I’m a slut for Lemelson and Patty Green (in addition to Droughin and Serene).
    I still call it The Jake.

Camarda still owns and produces? Kinda knew him in a previous life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.