Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Wine Geekery

DeNegoce has a case of unidentified 2020 Pauillac for $300. I picked up a case. Never had this appellation. Guessing it needs until at least 2025 and will probably last for 30+ years?

https://www.denegoce.com/products/lo...jHlAw95.H4cM6C

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    DeNegoce has a case of unidentified 2020 Pauillac for $300. I picked up a case. Never had this appellation. Guessing it needs until at least 2025 and will probably last for 30+ years?

Love it

This deal happened last February at a sidewalk cafe in the city of Bordeaux on a sunny but cold winter day.

My winemaker friend met his winemaker friend, beers were had and a couple of bottles of dark red wine were exchanged. My inquiries were met with shrugged shoulders and a smile - no more information other than the appellation and final blend was forthcoming. Later on, after tasting the wine, I didn't care, I had all I needed to know.

We (I) had a great bottle with dinner tonight. Maceration of Gewurztraminer and Pinot Gris. This is exactly the style of wine I like, tangerine, rose water, and almost tea-like tanin. We had crab cakes, new potatoes, the very first tomatoes from our usual farmer, and the most delicious strawberries for dinner.

I tried to get a good shot of the lava lamp of sediment but clearly had already drank too much this afternoon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220417_220051052.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	468.9 KB 
ID:	413511

What’s the bottle ?

Three of the Premier Cru, First Great Growth, are in Pauillac. Kinda doubt that any juice from Mouton or Lafitte made it into the DeNegoce, but I'd guess that it should sit for awhile
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

What’s the bottle ?
    Domaine Bonner/Christian Binner.

I am big fan of his white blend AmourSchwihr. He also provides vinification for many of the small, organic and biodynamic growers in southern Alsace under the label Les Vins Pirouettes. Saveurs de Raphaël was a favorite of mine this time last year.

Some great tart fruit tonight, almost reminded me of groundcherry.

Name:	PXL_20220418_163721164.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	413649

Name:	PXL_20220418_163730364.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	926.6 KB 
ID:	413650

Nothing fancy but sure is tasty. A lovely accompaniment for my homemade spaghetti and meatballs tonight.

Name:	20220418_195740.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	413659

Vortex - A whirling mass into which anything caught in the motion is drawn. As you swirl your wine and experience the intense aromas, our hopes are that you will be swallowed up by the depth and complexity of this delightful red wine. It is a combination of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Cabernet Franc varieties. All wine used in this blend was aged in small French and American oak barrels. 
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Name:	B5485C53-490F-4376-8820-4B1B60336834.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	678.6 KB 
ID:	413665
    Sufficient pairing for tonight’s take out sushi

If anyone wants to try out DeNegoce I got a $25 referral credit (we both get $25 full disclosure). PM me if you want one.

Every time I have a bottle of Lopez de Heredia it makes me happy I'm in the wine biz. I'm lucky to have had quite a few of them over many years and every one offers a humbly unobstructed view into their vineyards and their philosophy. They're not for everyone as they tend to be quite traditional and old world but for folks who dig that stuff they can be mighty darn captivating, especially alongside a simply prepared meal. Look em up if you haven't yet...

Name:	20220428_210616-01.jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	414719
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Every time I have a bottle of Lopez de Heredia it makes me happy I'm in the wine biz. I'm lucky to have had quite a few of them over many years and every one offers a humbly unobstructed view into their vineyards and their philosophy. They're not for everyone as they tend to be quite traditional and old world but for folks who dig that stuff they can be mighty darn captivating, especially alongside a simply prepared meal. Look em up if you haven't yet...

Name:	20220428_210616-01.jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	414719
    thanks...

The ldh whites are legendary. Unfortunately the prices have gone up.Last time I was in Haro I cleared a bottle shop out. They were cheap... Like 10 and 20 euros for the Gravonia and Tondonia.

Would love to find again the rose one day- had some at tasting once - very good!

The rose wasn't made for quite a few vintages and it's only released after 10y in the cellar so it's quite a rare find. I've tasted a lot of wine and it still ranks among my most memorable bottles. If you have the good fortune to run across a bottle during your travels then snatch it up!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

De Negoce has some 2016 Xavier Avignon Chateauneuf de Pape right now. Looks like a pretty solid deal that is in original labels.

Drinking great. Perfect with carne asada, and for dessert Faux-Reos from Grocery Outlet. Living the fucking dream over here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3A7C83E6-A56C-4096-B889-FBCC6BF5FACF_1_201_a.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	655.1 KB 
ID:	420557  
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Name:	IMG_20220815_191459_01.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	423881

I tried texting this to tgapp but it won't go through so I'll just post it here.

If you're in Salt Lake and like big reds, I think this is a fun bottle for $30. Currently at the 3rd West store. A good reminder that 'natural' wine doesn't have to be neon and smell like feet.

100% bobal, 2018. I have had an older vintage that blew me away with all the tertiaries. This is mostly dark berries and oak influence at the moment but is starting to get somewhere after about 3 hours open. I am excited to revisit tomorrow night.

Name:	IMG_6226.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	424668

with this one you always want a magnum
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I've recently gone down the wine rabbit hole. Any mags using Cellar Tracker to track bottles and tasting notes? It's a pretty slick system, particularly with the ability to scan bar codes.

CT user here.

With some ongoing health issues, consumption levels have dropped.

In the last month:

Name:	IMG_0694 (2).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	424726  
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Lately I've been drinking some relatively inexpensive ($12-15) barberas. So far it's been a good way to indulge my earthy/funky red interests.

No Reba?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by cravenmorhead View Post
    Lately I've been drinking some relatively inexpensive ($12-15) barberas. So far it's been a good way to indulge my earthy/funky red interests.
    Heh - I've been drinking those for about 2 decades now. It's my favorite grape, if I'm honest. This one was also very tasty, and I'm trying to get my local liquor store to find me a case:

Name:  barbera-terzetto.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  56.8 KB

it’s really hard to keep up with the recs in this thread but i do try to follow grapes more than labels which can be hard to come by.

i picked up one wine i remembered liking from many years ago and it just wasn’t at all what i remembered.

anyone familiar with refosco?

i thought it was a kind of lighter red, in the vein of a cerasuolo or frapetto but i pick up this guy from slovenia and it was not the same.

super jammy fruit and loads of tannins, way more than i’m into. poor expression or did i misremember? anyone into this stuff or other weird varietals to recommend?

Name:	IMG_6234.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	424754
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Some recent notes (with some booze thrown in there for good measure):

• 2019 Domaine Lafage Côtes du Roussillon Bastide Miraflors - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Roussillon, Côtes du Roussillon (9/6/2022)
      Fairly complex for the price. Garnet to ruby with a watery meniscus. Dark red fruit and plum, medium acid, pepper, maybe tobacco, medium integrated tannins on the finish, some floral notes in there too. (89 pts.)
    • NV Casal Garcia Vinho Verde Rosé - Portugal, Minho, Vinho Verde (9/5/2022)
      A fun little effervescent Rose. Some strawberry and acid and not much else. Perfect for a picnic or a raft trip (88 pts.)
    • 2021 Adegas Tollodouro Albariño Pontellon - Spain, Galicia, Rías Baixas (9/5/2022)
      Bright pineapple and lemon on the nose and palate. Some brine and mineral, maybe some green apple and melon too. Nice acidity - really fresh and bright. (87 pts.)
    • NV Talisker Storm - United Kingdom, Scotland, Isle of Skye (9/2/2022)
      Smoke and saline; a lot of the aspects I like about Lagavaulin without the band-aid. Lighter bodied (none of the oiliness present in Islays sometimes) with some honey on the finish. A great deal at $35, but I've been seeing it for closer to $50 lately, which puts it in the middle of the pack at the price point. (92 pts.)
    • 2020 Bodegas Ostatu Rioja Rosado - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alavesa, Rioja (9/1/2022)
      My style of rose. Medium+ body, strawberry on the nose and more of the same with good structure on palate. Nose is a little sharp and finish a little short but a fun porch drinker with a little more guts than most roses. (90 pts.)
    • 2021 Sartarelli Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Classico - Italy, Marche, Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Classico (9/1/2022)
      Star bright, light body, some lemon, vegetal notes, asparagus, minerality on the medium finish. Fine but not my style (86 pts.)
    • 2020 La Crema Pinot Noir Rosé - USA, California, Central Coast, Monterey (8/29/2022)
      Light salmon. Light body. Tiny bit of effervescence. Nose is sharp, with strawberry and watermelon. Medium acid with more of the same on the palate, with a bit of canteloupe. Not bad but pretty forgettable. (85 pts.)
    • 2020 Pasqua Montepulciano d'Abruzzo Vigneti del Sole - Italy, Abruzzi, Montepulciano d'Abruzzo (8/27/2022)
      Plum, raspberry, a little earth and vanilla and spice. Medium acid and some tannin on the finish. More vanilla as it opens up. Light plus body. A fun weeknight wine I'd buy again, and good value at $10 or so (88 pts.)
    • 2020 La Vieille Ferme (Perrin & Fils) Rouge - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Ventoux (8/27/2022)
      Thin body, red fruit, nail polish, short finish. Tasted industrial. Wouldn't recommend (78 pts.)
    • NV La Vieille Ferme (Perrin & Fils) Cotes de Ventoux - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Ventoux (8/26/2022)
      Thin body, some red fruit and nail polish on the nose. More of the same on the palatte - tastes like it came from a factory. Was hoping for a bargain but didn't find one here at any price (75 pts.)
    • 2019 Ca' del Sarto Barbera d'Alba - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Barbera d'Alba (8/23/2022)
      Plum, currant, cherry, raspberry, maybe a little blueberry, medium+ acid. Some vanilla/oak. Solid value at $12 or so (86 pts.)
    • 2020 Rouvalis Assyrtiko - Greece, Peloponnisos, Achaia (8/21/2022)
      White peach, honey, floral notes, dry with some minerality on the back end. Nice food pairing wine (89 pts.)
    • NV Mawida Carménère - Chile, Curico Valley (8/20/2022)
      Tobacco and wood and some smoke and red fruit. Lighter body and finish than expected. Interesting for the low price (85 pts.)
    • 2020 Cantine Povero Barbera d'Asti - Italy, Piedmont, Asti, Barbera d'Asti (8/19/2022)
      Great funky nose. Much more subdued on the palatte. Cherry and Berry with a light dry finish. A nice everyday drinker but didn't knock my socks off. (86 pts.)
    • 2020 Menard-Gaborit Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine les princes - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine (8/18/2022)
      Nice straw color, mostly pear notes, tart finish, not enough minerality for me (84 pts.)
    • 2019 Cantine Povero Dolcetto Monferrato Capitano del Palio - Italy, Piedmont, Monferrato (8/9/2022)
      Black cherry and spice, great everyday wine for the price (91 pts.)
    • 2020 Clifford Bay Sauvignon Blanc - New Zealand, South Island, Marlborough, Awatere Valley (8/9/2022)
      Bright and grapefruity, with some nice minerality. One of my favorite everyday whites (91 pts.)
    • 2020 Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc - New Zealand, South Island, Marlborough (8/9/2022)
      A very nice oyster wine. Grassy and bright with some minerality on the finish. Solid buy. (90 pts.)
    • NV Del Maguey Mezcal Vida - Mexico, Oaxaca, Chichicapa (8/9/2022)
      A mellow mezcal that is great for mixing. Clay-like flavors can be hit or miss neat. (89 pts.)
    • 2019 Mark West Pinot Noir California - USA, California (8/9/2022)
      Cherry with lots of oak on the back end. On the sweeter end. Fine for the price but not impressive. (83 pts.)

Quiet evening at home with Italian peppercorn beef stew leftovers. Recipe thanks to skaredshtles from the cooking thread.

Name:	IMG_5064.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	434490  
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.