Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Wine Geekery

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Was the Cotes a bit long in the tooth?
    Not really. Maybe slightly past peak but I think it just really needed a longer decant.

As more and more of my De Negoce wine gets to an acceptable age the more I like them for the value. They regularly punch way above their $.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

We crushed this tonight: https://shop.kermitlynch.com/product...l/19FBS01.html

~$19. Super fun, vibrant Italian. Like most from Italy -- it liked food. But a fantasitic earthy (tiny bit of brett) minerality backed by acid and bright fruit.

Not ponderous. But banging. Doesn't need age. Just good fucking juice, well made.

Made a note to find that. The Italians really have the market cornered on value food-wines, IMO.

This is another excellent $20 bottle:

Some old Bordeaux on Garagiste

FIRST COME FIRST SERVED up to 12 x 1996 and 6 x 1989 1.5lt/person until we run out:

1996 Chateau Gruaud-Larose Saint-Julien 750ml (Bordeaux) - $146.76
    Ian d’Agata (VM, 2013 – 17 years after the vintage): “(64% Cabernet Sauvignon, 26% Merlot, 7% Cabernet Franc and 3% Petit Verdot; IPT 74; 13% alcohol): Dark ruby. Deep, brooding nose hints at dark plum, blackcurrant, coffee and lavender accented by cinnamon and nutmeg. Enters bright and fresh, then turns richer in the middle, with accessible plum, herb and coffee flavors persisting nicely on the peppery finish, which features chewy tannins. This is at once more herbal and more forward than the 1995. It's also better than I remember it, and although still quite young it offers plenty of appeal. The wine's harmonious acidity makes it seem lighter-bodied than it is. About 40% of the malolactic fermentation was carried out in barriques, compared to a normal one-third. Note that the label states 12.5% alcohol, but the data given to me by the estate shows 13% alcohol. 91+pts”

1989 Chateau Gruaud-Larose Saint-Julien 1.5lt (Bordeaux) - $398.76
    WS (1989/1999 Bordeaux Blind Retrospective, 2009): “(750ml); Delivers fabulous aromas of crushed red fruits, with leather, tar, tobacco and mint. Full-bodied, offering super-soft and silky tannins, as well as a beautiful polish. Open and luscious, with amazing richness of fruit and decadence at the same time.—'89/'99 Bordeaux blind retrospective (2009). Drink now. 94pts” (this note is from 20 years after the vintage – not on release – it’s also for a 750ml, not a magnum! – JR)

Those of you that age whites, what does that do to sugar?

I picked up this bottle because I am a fan of the producer. Everything he produces is labeled by barrel (faß/fass) so it's easy to follow a specific wine/site across vintages. I was unfamiliar with this specific bottling but the shop's label said feinherb. Joke's on me! 33 g/L RS!

About an hour open and it's started to smooth. I was lucky with German Riesling because 2019 was so ripe. The wines were accessible young. 2020 saw minimal ripeness in comparison and I am finding that the young wines need air and are obviously not integrated even to my inexperienced palate.

Honeyed peaches and cream plus some tropical fruit on the nose. Monster acid kick to the teeth in the finish. I have no doubt this will be great in a few years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220312_005600806.PORTRAIT.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	760.6 KB 
ID:	409160

I read this title as "Wayne Gretzky", carry on.

I don’t drink a ton of aged whites but I don’t think it really does anything to the sugar. I maybe wrong.

Many Rieslings can be aged for many decades.

The sugar acts as a preservative making sweet wines longer lived than similar quality dry whites. The sweetness never really changes since the sugar doesn't go anywhere. Old auslese riesling or moelleux vouvray is neat!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I read this title as "Wayne Gretzky", carry on.
    http://www.gretzkyestateswines.com/

I havent tried a wayne Gretzky wine ^^ but here you go

re: the aging whites, I made a literal ton of kit wines over the years which were not great but at 4$ a bottle pretty cheap, however IME the reds took forever and never did taste very good but the whites were pretty drinkable right away if that means anything

Quality wise they were box wine or maybe a little better with very low sulphate levels, I don't need to save money by making wine anymore so I gave away all the brewing gear and now I just buy wine by the case, mostly Newzealand wines
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-12-2022 at 12:09 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    As more and more of my De Negoce wine gets to an acceptable age the more I like them for the value. They regularly punch way above their $.

Just ordered some Loire Cab Franc rose. Should be ready just in time for the warmer weather
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I don't get the notion of fancy rose. Except maybe Bandol..... but to me it's wine for gulping, refreshing, not for analysis and swirling, and should always be cheap as fuck. The best rose I ever tasted came out of a gas pump-like device behind the counter in a co-op in Menton, FR. Took the empty milk jugs, Perrier bottles, filled 'em up at something ridiculous like $2 a liter, sat on the balcony overlooking the mediterranean, grilling Mergez sausages.

Somehow rose became a thing. Used to be innumerable bottles of it from France, Spain, Portugal, at around $5. All dry, varieties of colors and depths. Now it's all fancy and shit. Fuck that. Mine all comes from GrossOut anymore. Very few failures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

I ran through the whole lineup from l'Esclans last year and was blown away by the prices. Those guys were getting like $100 for a bottle of their higher end roses. I've tasted thousands of roses and was just in awe that they'd created a brand that could pull at those prices. God love em!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Bandol, Tavel, and rose Champagne are the only bottles I can stomach paying >$20 for.

Probably 50% of the rose I drink is Gassac (https://www.daumas-gassac.com/wine/m.../guilhem-rose/). ~$10. Cheaper because my buddy is the local distributor. Comes in magnums as all rose should.

The best rose I've had so far is from cold climate Pinot Noir. Incredibly clean tasting. $30/bottle last year.

Our daily comes in a can from a winery about an hour west of us. It works out ~$17 / 750ml. Great rose in the summer and an even better carbonic cab franc for the rest of the year.

The rose from De Negoce is 11 per bottle. Worth a try.

Tonight's desert with gorgonzola

Name:	IMG_2157.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	712.2 KB 
ID:	409618
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Local winery makes a rose from petit Syrah. It is a pretty complex wine that balances the flavor of PS with the freshness of rose. A red wine drinkers rose.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Tonight's desert with gorgonzola

Name:	IMG_2157.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	712.2 KB 
ID:	409618
    What, no D’y?

I'm with ya, and I neglected to mention Tavel in my honorific. I was in Tavel at harvest time a number of years ago. We ate grapes right off the vine as well as sampling a good number of wines. Even then though, it had not achieved the lofty prices it has arrived at in recent years.

If you have a Grocery Outlet in your town you will probably find some very tasty roses at under 6 bucks. French, Spanish, stay away from the majority of American ones. When I find a good one I just go back and stockpile a couple of cases.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Bandol, Tavel, and rose Champagne are the only bottles I can stomach paying >$20 for.

Probably 50% of the rose I drink is Gassac (https://www.daumas-gassac.com/wine/m.../guilhem-rose/). ~$10. Cheaper because my buddy is the local distributor. Comes in magnums as all rose should.

Some good reasonably priced tawny:

Name:  Image1647747627.381345.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  22.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I don't get the notion of fancy rose. Except maybe Bandol..... but to me it's wine for gulping, refreshing, not for analysis and swirling, and should always be cheap as fuck. The best rose I ever tasted came out of a gas pump-like device behind the counter in a co-op in Menton, FR. Took the empty milk jugs, Perrier bottles, filled 'em up at something ridiculous like $2 a liter, sat on the balcony overlooking the mediterranean, grilling Mergez sausages.

Somehow rose became a thing. Used to be innumerable bottles of it from France, Spain, Portugal, at around $5. All dry, varieties of colors and depths. Now it's all fancy and shit. Fuck that. Mine all comes from GrossOut anymore. Very few failures.
    I guess you’re/we’re not Aspen’s intended customers??

Name:	Image1647799742.634790.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	410192

Prolly not so much. For anything!

Certainly some fine bottles in that list, always love the 300% +/- resto mark-up.

Wine Geekery

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    I guess you’re/we’re not Aspen’s intended customers??

Name:	Image1647799742.634790.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	410192
    Not all the prices are bad. Clicquot Rose is around 65 retail. The Roderer is around 30.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Not all the prices are bad. Clicquot Rose is around 65 retail. The Roderer is around 30.
    Yes, not terrible prices (for Aspen), just a funny/predictable lineup of foo foo rosé