Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Launching for next spring

Think it'll retail for north of $1k with the appropriate battery(s?) and charger?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Think it'll retail for north of $1k with the appropriate battery(s?) and charger?
    No word on that yet, but it will need to be competitive with existing stuff I think.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    No word on that yet, but it will need to be competitive with existing stuff I think.
    Milwaukee is never price competitive

But I bet that will be the best e mower yet
    . . .

Is there a consensus on what company has the best suite of yard tools (weedwhacker, hedge clipper, pole saw, blower)?

I just have a Worx weedwhacker, which is fine, but I'm gonna get a couple things and might just start over and have everything using the same batteries. Maybe Stihl?

I’ve been happy with the ryobi 40v but I don’t think they are the “best”. Mower, blower, hedge trimmer, pole saw. Wish they made a 40v impact.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yeah I don't know that I necessarily need the absolute best, more just looking for what's good and recommended.

I’m using the Greenworks brand and happy. Have the mower, trimmer, hedge clippers, and leaf blower.

I’d probably go Makita if I were to do it over again.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Still very happy with the Ego stuff. Just have the mower, two stage snowblower, and now a string trimmer. Definitely ‘home use’ and not ‘pro use’, that would be my critique. Should be interesting when the real electric forestry tools come out.
    I don’t think the Ego construction is robust enough for more than a few hours of flogging a month, at most.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

OK, I got ask about the snow blower. How well does that work? How long does the battery last in the cold? And how cold can you use that battery? I assume you have to bring the batteries inside for charging?

Battery Powered Lawn Tools

On the Ego platform with mower, single stage snowblower and leaf blower. Three 5A batteries. Happy with the power for our little lot. Snowblower does OK for a really light machine; no issue with battery at -30C with the charging/storing in a heated shop, and throws 30cm of champagne fresh without an issue. 15cm of heavy wet spring snow is a bit more of a chore for the little guy.

Started with dewalt hedger and blower.

Was surprised how good it is.

Added weed whacker and string trimmer.
    And most recently the pole saw
    Very happy with it.

All from home despot

I can’t see battery mower yet. Too much lawn. Same with backpack blower I need for leaves. But the battery one gets used more often.

But I am sold on these other battery things. It’s so quiet. And works just as well.

I've tried a bunch of different brands... much like power tools, you're buying into the battery ecosystem. My Ego felt cheap for it's high price but worked as advertised. At the end of the day, I'd be at almost $2K for everything I need. I wasn't willing to spend that much on plastic, sold the mower and moved on to Toro. The Toro stuff was burly as shit. The mower deck is mostly metal and it had a real blade, not one that's downsized for electric efficiency. As with most rear low baggers, my long legs kept hitting the bag, if it wasn't for that, I'd have a set of Toro equipment. I finally settled on Ryobi. The features are pretty decent, they're frequently discounted and they haven't changed their battery design in decades. They're dropping new products pretty frequently and I've been happy with most, if not all of my purchases. http://directtoolsoutlet.com is a good source for re manufactured, or discontinued Ryobi stuff.

TLDR; Toro for semi-pro grade. Ryobi for price & features.
    Last edited by Touring_Sedan; 07-04-2022 at 08:30 AM.

I've been really happy with my cheap Bauer pole saw and chainsaw from Harbor Freight. Already had the battery setup from my circular saw. Did a shitload of fire mitigation this spring and was surprised at how well the battery power in those chainsaws held up.

I don’t have a comprehensive hands-on comparison, but I’m in the Milwaukee 18v system and I have no complaints. I’m happy with my pole saw, string trimmer, and leaf blower. As it happens I use the Milwaukee hand tools - drill, impact driver, sawzall, oscillating tool, and boom box (). I’ll probably stay with the system if I get more. FWIW I’ve used some DeWalt stuff that seemed okay.

I'm not sure I could be happy with a system that requires replacing batteries every 2-3 years to keep the performance at 100%. How are these systems working for folks a couple years down the road? Do they still last an hour or more under heavy use with a full charge? If so, I might go there next time. Just replaced the cutter a have a new lever on the way for my plug in trimmer. I also prefer my plug in chainsaw to the gas one for quick clean up jobs.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I've had Milwaukee 18 and 12v stuff for years and batteries are still good. I even have 28v still going. Granted I'm not a "heavy" use guy, but trades that use Milw are pretty happy with their performance.

I've been satisfied with the greenworks 40v stuff. The chainsaw and pole saw have been awesome. I use the blower all the time tho it's nothing compared to a backpack style ice blower. The hedge trimmer has been great and the string trimmer/edger has too. No mower tho cuz I've already got a Honda
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

i dunno... guess ima gonna havta see one of them snowblowers workin' it before i can confidently lay out the cash to do battle with a couple of feet of tug hill lake effect.

I reported my experience with the new model Makita chainsaw in the chainsaw thread. It's pretty badass, and I definitely think it would hold up to very regular hard use. For my trail clearing and home use it's a good replacement for the Stihl MS 361 I used to have.

I still use batteries from 8+ years ago in various Makita tools, but fresh ones certainly have more capacity and seemingly more power. In high draw tools like the grinder it's especially important, but for lower use ones like the impact driver the old batts are fine.

If your tool use is always within 100' of a plug, hell yeah that would be way better than any batteries for longevity and power.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I'm on year 3 of my ryobi 40v string trimmer. It's good for about an hour, which has been constant. It does take 3 hours to charge which is a little annoying. This battery still fits current designs, so I'm about to buy a cordless ryobi mower.

For most of my yardwork I used a corded greenworks mower for the tennis court and the 1/4 acre backyard with 150' of heavy duty extension cords.

I always wondered what percentage of you dentists and social media influencers do your own yardwork. I find it to be a good low impact workout.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post

If your tool use is always within 100' of a plug, hell yeah that would be way better than any batteries for longevity and power.
    Ya our lot is a 1/4 acre. I do like the cordless drill for quick wood fence repairs.. But keeping a cord on the trimmer and using the same cord for quick chainsaw storm cleanup seems to be convenient enough. I'm just glad to be a littler greener than gas for everything but the mower. Running a cord probably uses the same amount of energy as charging the batteries.. but no battery replacement waste.

Main reason I bought a gas chainsaw is that we sometimes lose power for more than a day after a storm.. longest so far was 10 days post ice storm that brought down a lot of trees. Gas powered chainsaw is definitely the way to go in the storm zone..

Guess when the trimmer finally dies beyond repair I'll give a cordless one a try.. Now I wish my drill wasn't some off brand.. I love having extra batteries charged for stuff like this..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I am on .97 acre covered in native grass. Going to wait until my Sears riding mower gives it up which may be never. Bought a Stihl gas line trimmer when my Toro died, it will probably out last me as well. I sprung for a Makita 18V chain saw package that came with 4 batteries and a dual charger. It is the shit for my few trees and carries well in a 30 L pack for trail clearing.

I have a mix of Milwaukee drills and they have held up. Pick a battery platform and stick with it, between my Blue impact/drill kit and saw looks like it is Makita for me.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    For most of my yardwork I used a corded greenworks mower for the tennis court and the 1/4 acre backyard with 150' of heavy duty extension cords.

I always wondered what percentage of you dentists and social media influencers do your own yardwork. I find it to be a good low impact workout.
    Fucking dentist with a lawn tennis court?
    Blimey

5th summer on my Ego trimmer. Works just as good as when I bought it. Still loving it.
    Mower and snowblower still gas here.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy