Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Battery Powered Lawn Tools

So, I have an Ego+ lawn mower that is the bee’s knees. Thinking about getting the Mac-daddy two-stage electric Snowblower. I always thought a battery would do a poor job with such a task here, but I would have two spare batteries, so that should be fine. Any of you have experience with one?
    Reviews are generally excellent.
    Or do you have anything else in the Ego+ ecosystem?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Ego weed whacker. Dumped the gas for this 3 years ago. It does an amazing job. Once Honda mower dies I’ll be getting the Ego mower.
    This summer there are 7 more neighbors using Ego products.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Have had the ego whacker/edger combo for a couple years now, I'm going to hang on to it.

Move upside and let the man go through...

Ooh, great musical pick for this topic...

Have the mower, snow blower, weed whacker, air blower and now added edger. We really like them. The power is great for our quarter acre and love the interchangeable batteries. Have two large and two small batteries and two chargers. Only issue was initially snow blower had catastrophic failure of control board but they replaced it quick. I have no luck with loading string trimmer but that is operator error since mrs whyturn only has issues after I use it. Three years going on 4 and solid for sure. Happy campers here in Utah

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Why. Seriously, just why. Mix a little oil with your gas and run real tools.

Are these things really becoming legit? I have a couple neighbors that run electric blowers and trimmers and I definitely check their man cards every time I see them out

I've been using the Milwaukee weed wack-off with the nine amp M18 Fuel battery. I get about forty five minutes of use before the bitch requires recharging, and recharging take a little time for the biggerer batteries.. Not terrible, not great.

What sorta battery life so these Ego+ tools get?
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Why?
    Because they are light, quiet, maneuverable, easier to use, and easier to store. My driveway is like 25 x 45, and my yard is .10 of an acre. Keeping engines in good fettle is a pain in the ass for my use case.
    And I can snowblow or mow at 10:00 PM, given our lot size, you can imagine how close the neighbors are.
    That’s why.

Was just talking to buddy the other day. Has all electric stuff. Was saying how his single stage snowblower was good last winter with 18 inches.

Personally no experience but I plan on buying a small blower and if anything dies it will be replaced electric no doubt.

Really like the self guided mowers I've been seeing.

Maybe I'm too old. My mower, snow blower, leaf blower, weed whacker, chipper, splitter etc are all gas and super reliable. I do use battery powered hand tools. Has the technology really come so far?

Gas mower and snowblower, but my weedwacker is a Milwaukee M18. Plan to get the edger attachment too. No interest in the care and feeding of a two stroke engine, especially if there's only one.

Weedwacker is great, but sometimes I go through an entire midsized battery. I have a pile of them though since I use them for other power tools.

I've heard the electric leaf blowers don't have the balls that the gas ones do, but still get the job done.

I’ve got a good sized yard/property…so I’ve got the quiver of all the Stihl gas powered stuff and they have all lasted 20+ years…..when they do eventually go, I’ve considered the Stihl electric ones. I’ve heard from “people” they are really good.

I had the EGO mower for about a week and while it was an impressive piece of equipment, the cut was uneven and it didn't pick up shit. I'll fill the bag on my Snapper 3 times to the EGOs once. After reading the reviews, I concluded it was mostly due to the lightness of the blade as compared to the gas powered options. I sold it on the classifieds. Just last Friday I picked up the new Toro 60V model. The consensus was that it had a nearly full size/weight blade and while my lawn looked better, it also didn't pick up shit.

Wanna buy it?

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/64345220

As for batteries on ice, I have a little single stage SnowJoe and a little power shovel. The SnowJoe does fairly well until it warms up and then the chute frequently clogs. The shovel is tits. No battery related issues with either of them. FWIW, I'll usually just reach for the 2 Cycle Toro. It's only 2 years younger than I am, but it'll still throw shit across the road.

FWIW, Most of the two stage battery units that I've checked out have been really poorly made.
    Last edited by YourMomJustCalled; 06-22-2021 at 07:25 PM.

Just got a 40v 550 cfm ryobi blower and it is tits. I also have a commercial backpack blower that I will now be selling. I can blow the entire yard with one battery charge, it is way quieter, and no maintenance. Given I have about 1/20th an acre of grass, the lawn mower maybe next.

love my 40v craftsman mower and weedeater. gas stuff feels so dumb for a little city lot.

curious about mags experiences with electric chainsaws and extended hedgetrimmers for quiet work in the forest, where discretion is advised. got a stihl MS180 and 036 for gas, but certain spots I;m working on could use some quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    love my 40v craftsman mower and weedeater. gas stuff feels so dumb for a little city lot.

curious about mags experiences with electric chainsaws and extended hedgetrimmers for quiet work in the forest, where discretion is advised. got a stihl MS180 and 036 for gas, but certain spots I;m working on could use some quiet.
    I really like the DeWalt XR chainsaw with 12” bar for clearing trails. It cuts pretty well and is quiet. It’s light and has decent balance. It seems to get good reviews.

It’s no gas saw but for light work it’s really nice and convenient

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Why. Seriously, just why. Mix a little oil with your gas and run real tools.

Are these things really becoming legit? I have a couple neighbors that run electric blowers and trimmers and I definitely check their man cards every time I see them out
    Why? Because yard tools are unregulated and emit a shit ton of emissions. Like they're really bad for the environment. I do still have a gas mower but my ryobi weed whacker and leaf blower are legit and I'll likely replace my mower soon. It's also nice not have to deal with these tools flooding or even have to pull a cord to start em, just plug in the battery and pull the trigger.

Also, if you need to thin some trees in your favorite glade an electric chainsaw is a lot quieter than a gas chainsaw. Definitely not as powerful, but if you're just illegally thinning some trees for skiing, you probably don't need to remove the big guys. Just saying....

I’m all about battery tools like mowers and trimmers etc for the normal reasons, but here in Tahoe where big storms overwhelm most sub $2k snowblowers, I cant imagine going away from my tracked Honda.

But maybe they use a Tesla car battery or something?

I have a small yard and a grass tennis court (gone to mole lumps), I've used corded electric mowers for years. I've got 150' of 12 gauge extension cord that after 15 years, part of it needs replacement.

We've also got a 350'+ long drive and 330' frontage on a road, so I got a Ryobi string trimmer from home depot with the 40V battery. I got sick of cleaning carburetors and tweezing 2 strokes.
    I can usually do the drive and half the road on 1 charge, 1.5 hours. By that time, my charge is shot, so it works.

The trimmer has this killer plastic blade attachment that can take out thick blackberries and salmonberry bushes, but normally I just use it for grass.

That deal works great.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Battery Powered Lawn Tools

I picked up a battery powered Milwaukee chainsaw, hedge trimmer, and blower.

The blower eats the most battery and is the least impressive compared to petrol counterpart. It’s also not much quieter than my Stihl petrol. But I still like it.

The chainsaw and hedge trimmer work better than I expected

I still have a two stroke stihl trimmer and blower and 4 stroke Honda push mower. Can’t complain on those either but batteries are catching up and can already work better in some applications

I’ve got the Greenworks battery powered stuff from Home Depot. Love them. I have leaf blower, hedge trimmers, lawn mower, and weed whacker/edger. All the batteries are interchangeable (except hedge clippers). I have a small yard so its perfect.

Ego mower for our tiny lot. Much better than the old Neuton it replaced. I went dewalt for string trimmer and blower since they matched batteries I already have. Works great, blower is quiet and plenty powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Why? Because yard tools are unregulated and emit a shit ton of emissions.
    NOPE, wrong. It started in 1995/6

https://www.epa.gov/regulations-emis...quipment-tools
    Overview
    EPA has adopted emission standards to control both exhaust and evaporative emissions from small spark-ignition engines. Phase 3 exhaust emissions standards took effect in 2011 or 2012, depending on the size of the engine. Evaporative emission standards address fuel permeation through fuel-system components in addition to fuel venting during engine operation.

Anybody know the life expectancy of the jumbo lawnmower batteries? I looked up a replacement for the Egos and about choked when I saw the prices. I've been tempted to go battery for a while, but dang. For the price of one battery, I can almost buy THREE replacement knock-off Honda engines from Harbor Freight. Haha. Li-Ion tech has come a long way though and my Milwaukee batteries have been perfectly bomber, but don't know about how these super high amperage batteries will fare. I remember the early days of cordless lawnmowers back in the 90s, when they were pretty terrible. Those were probably NiCad or normal lead-acid, though, so probably nothing like today's models.

I love the Dewalt string trimmer that I bought on a whim a few years ago. It's nearly as good as the pro grade Shindaiwa that it replaced. It's the giant battery style and lasts about an hour of on and off use, which is enough weed whacking for me anyway.

The Ego hedge trimmer is very effective as well. I mostly got it for trail maintenance, and it slays sage with aplomb. The battery is the smaller of Ego's giant ones and lasts a decent amount of time, but I could definitely justify another one if I were doing bigger missions. One of the handle switches burned up so I just hotwired it, so it's maybe not as safe now.

A chainsaw is next. I sold the Stihl MS361 that I used to use for timber framing since I didn't need a big saw. The Dewalt seems to get good reviews, but I'm tempted to just get a Makita 36V since I have a lot of those batteries.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.