Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Just stop bagging your grass...better for your yard and then you can keep the electric mower. Why do people think they should pick up their grass clippings?
    I bag because if I don't my lawn gets chock full of thatch and dead grass.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Yep, always ready to go, self-mulching, quiet, and cut like a scalpel when they're sharp. I'll concede that they do suck around edges.
    I had one of those when I was younger... but they suck if you neglect the lawn. They're pretty nice if you keep the lawn in nice condition.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    I bag because if I don't my lawn gets chock full of thatch and dead grass.
    Interesting... I've been mulching our grass for a couple decades and have not run into said issues. Guess I'm lucky.

From Scotts...Contrary to a popular lawn myth, leaving clippings on the lawn does not cause thatch, which is a layer of partially decomposed grass-plant parts between the soil and live grass. Grass clippings are mostly water, so as long as you mow regularly at the right height, they will break down and disappear rapidly.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    From Scotts...Contrary to a popular lawn myth, leaving clippings on the lawn does not cause thatch, which is a layer of partially decomposed grass-plant parts between the soil and live grass. Grass clippings are mostly water, so as long as you mow regularly at the right height, they will break down and disappear rapidly.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    You're coming by to detach my lawn, right?

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    You're coming by to detach my lawn, right?
    I have neighbors that bag and their yards look like shit compared to mine and I probably put in less than half the work they do.

I don't live in SLC though so ymmv. I live in a genuine midwest shithole where it is either full on drought or raining for days on end.

Aerate your yard in the fall. Water deeply if you irrigate. Limit herbicide application to late fall. Use slow release nitrogen and limit fertilizer application. Mulching your clippings instead of bagging is the equivalent of 1 synthetic fertilizer application annually. Do these things and you'll have a living yard that will easily break down the clippings.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Wifey gave the green light, we are getting it. Did you have it here this last Febuary? I forget...
    Yep! It worked very well for me this past winter, including February with all the snow. It was awesome never having to worry about having gas and it fires up the first time I press the button. It's sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Well despite those regulations gasoline-powered lawn and garden equipment still account for a lot of air pollution. And most of us are likely using equipment from days before regulation or before 2012 when those regulations hit phase 3. Not to mention the amount of gas and oil that is spilled while filling these machines. My mower is probably 15 years old and my tiller is a hand me down from my father-in-law who likely purchased it in the 90s.

Here are a few facts I was able to find with a quick google search:

"Results: In 2011, approximately 26.7 million tons of
    pollutants were emitted by GLGE (gas-powered lawn and garden equipment) (VOC=461,800; CO=5,793,200; NOx=68,500, PM10=20,700;
    CO2=20,382,400), accounting for 24%−45% of all nonroad gasoline emissions. Gasoline-powered
    landscape maintenance equipment (GLME; leaf blowers/vacuums, and trimmers, edgers, brush cutters)
    accounted for 43% of VOCs and around 50% of fine PM. Two-stroke engines were responsible for the
    vast majority of fine PM from GLME. State data (California, New York, Texas, Illinois, and Florida),
    2018 projections, and additional comparisons are presented. Methodological issues are discussed.
    Conclusions: GLGE accounts for a major portion of US nonroad gasoline emissions. Two-stroke
    engines are an important source of VOCs and criteria pollutants. " taken from the abstract of this EPA study published in 9/2015: https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...ents/banks.pdf

From this website: https://www.peoplepoweredmachines.co...nvironment.htm

"EPA Statistics: Gas Mowers represent 5% of U.S. Air Pollution

Fact: According to the EPA, one gas mower spews 88 lbs. of the greenhouse gas CO2, and 34 lbs. of other pollutants into the air every year.

Fact: Over 17 million gallons of gas are spilled each year refueling lawn and garden equipment – more oil than was spilled by the Exxon Valdez.

FACT: Americans burn 800 million gallons of gas each year trimming their grassy yards, according to the EPA

FACT: One gas mower running for an hour emits the same amount of pollutants as eight new cars driving 55 mph for the same amount of time, according to the Union of Concerned Scientists"

So why they may be regulated now, they account for a lot of air pollution.

The main point I was trying to make was that GLGE are bad for the environment and as skiers we should be looking for cleaner solutions. Yes, I understand that electricity still likely comes from fossil fuels but those industries are heavily regulated, whereas, garden and lawn equipment are not. Electric powered lawn and garden equipment work great as many here can attest to and its better for the environment. That's a win-win in my book.
    FYI, the website you posted is highly biased against gas powered equipment

Yup. Anything that uses petroleum for fuel will emit hydrocarbons into the atmosphere. But you did say it wasn't regulated, it is, very tho

When you look at the big picture, the amount of pollution form homeowners L&G equipment is miniscule. How many gallons of gas does the average person use in L&G equipment vs their car? The average person will still emit more carbon/pollution in a month or 2 by driving a car than a year of all their gas powered L&G tools.
    3 days of cars driving in the USA will burn more gas than a year of all L&G equipment

The amount of pollution to generate electricity is hudge

https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/sou...-gas-emissions

Another thing to look at is manufacturing pollution. My 2 cycle LawnBoy was made in 1995 and will last at least another 15 years. I burn about 1.5-2 gallons of gas a year.
    If your concern is carbon emissions, you should be pushing a reel mower, and not using a mower that chops up salmon, burns nat gas or coal and uses heavy metals in the batteries, just sayin"...

Plan on getting a battery string trimmer. The vibration and noise of the gas model under your armpit drives me insane. Then you have to reload strings all the time (have the quick release head), restarting the gas sucks for that. Some small engines are pretty shitty too, although my Echo stuff has been pretty stout. I don’t think battery snowblowers would work that well. Snowblowers should be borderline heavy equipment to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I got a battery pole saw last year, and I really dig it. Milwaukee, because I’m all vested in their battery system - drill, impact driver, oscillating tool, leaf blower (dig it), string trimmer (dig it), and boom box ( ). If they come out with a lawn mower I’m probably in.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...t=#post5977658
    They will come out with a mower. They have an upright vacuum now.

I have multiple Milwaukee 18v batteries in different amp hour configurations. It's convenient for weight, tool, and job to be done. Aside from drills and saws, I have the chainsaw and a trimmer/hedger in-one. It also will fit a pole saw. They all work fine for me.

The milw blower is just ok from what I've heard. Depends on your needs I guess. With that said, Milw is running a promo next month where they're combining a chainsaw and blower into one package deal. Pretty sure only available at trade stores, no big box places.

Batteries - voltage vs amp hrs
    https://www.protoolreviews.com/news/...p-hours/16313/

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    The milw blower is just ok from what I've heard. Depends on your needs I guess.
    I love mine, but a heavy duty blower it is not. It's really light weight and easy to just pick up and use any time you need it real quick. It's perfect for cleaning off the driveway and sidewalk after a mow or blowing out the gravel once in a while. Chews through a battery FAST, but it's good enough for maybe like 10 minutes of blowing. Definitely my most power hungry M18 tool out of my quiver. Since I picked it up on sale for like $80 I certainly can't complain. But yeah, I'd agree with what you hear that it's "Ok." Totally worth it when on sale. Maybe not at retail price though.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Anybody know the life expectancy of the jumbo lawnmower batteries? I looked up a replacement for the Egos and about choked when I saw the prices. I've been tempted to go battery for a while, but dang. For the price of one battery, I can almost buy THREE replacement knock-off Honda engines from Harbor Freight. Haha. Li-Ion tech has come a long way though and my Milwaukee batteries have been perfectly bomber, but don't know about how these super high amperage batteries will fare. I remember the early days of cordless lawnmowers back in the 90s, when they were pretty terrible. Those were probably NiCad or normal lead-acid, though, so probably nothing like today's models.
    Going on 4 years and they are charging and working fine. Works for me

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I just scored a lightly used Honda 214 sx for only 150$, buddy told me it stalled on his wife so she went out and bought another mower cuz he was off in camp

When i got it home sure enough it stalls after 100m so goggle stalling honda which tell me to clean the carb, watch a couple of vids now i'm a honda mechanic

self propelled mowers with tons of power are the shit IME
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The Honda carbs are not very ethanol resistant. Got a free self propelled Honda powered MTD mower from a neighbors wife after he passed from cancer. $27 genuine Honda carb off Amazon. 2 bolts and about 45 minutes to replace and it has run perfect ever since.

I was going to get an electric one to replace my 20ish year old Craftsman...but free is free.

At 150 $ I got a bargoon from a driller who makes way too much money,

if that carb hadn't fucked up I wouldn't have got the deal

So I picked up an in-line fuel filter for 6$ at the honda dealer,

and i can probably sell the old MTD for 150 $
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    love my 40v craftsman mower and weedeater. gas stuff feels so dumb for a little city lot.

curious about mags experiences with electric chainsaws and extended hedgetrimmers for quiet work in the forest, where discretion is advised. got a stihl MS180 and 036 for gas, but certain spots I;m working on could use some quiet.
    Been running the Ego Power + CS1804 for going on a year now. Been really impressed, but it still isn’t a substitute for a nice gas saw. It is damn quiet though, and would get lots of discreet trail work done! If you’re swinging through my neck of the woods anytime soon, you’re welcome to borrow it for be a day or two and try it out

Quote Originally Posted by mitanokaseifu View Post
    Plan on getting a battery string trimmer. The vibration and noise of the gas model under your armpit drives me insane. Then you have to reload strings all the time (have the quick release head), restarting the gas sucks for that. Some small engines are pretty shitty too, although my Echo stuff has been pretty stout. I don’t think battery snowblowers would work that well. Snowblowers should be borderline heavy equipment to work.
    I scored an older B&D electric string trimmer from a friend for $10. On the "2" setting (more power vs more battery life in "1), it's a beast. It doesn't quite make it all around the yard on one charge, but I'd imagine modern electric string trimmers are even better. Totally worth it having to charge the unit and come back later/the next day vs reeking of 2-stroke mix and having to pull-start.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Going on 4 years and they are charging and working fine. Works for me
    Good to know! Thanks. Electric lawn equipment is sounding better now that ethanol-free fuel is getting harder and harder to find these days which makes my equipment all run like ass. Been buying the pre-mix cans at the hardware store which works pretty good, but it's still always a PITA to pull-start that stupid weed eater either way. The lawnmower look great, but the carb's always been finicky and kinda over it. My yard's not really very big or hilly at all, so I think an electric will MORE than suffice for my humble needs.

I did the ryobi blower and weedeater that takes the regular one+ batteries a few years ago after I couldn't get my almost new husky weedeater to run worth a shit, even after taking it to a shop for a tuneup under warranty. For my small yard it is the way to go.

I can do the whole yard on one battery easily, but I have enough batteries that it wouldn't be an issue anyways.

I did borrow my neighbor's commercial-grade backpack blower for leaves at my old place, but I probably would have done that anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Not to mention the amount of gas and oil that is spilled while filling these machines.
    Fact: Over 17 million gallons of gas are spilled each year refueling lawn and garden equipment – more oil than was spilled by the Exxon Valdez..
    You can blame the government and the asinine "SAFETY" cans they mandate for that one. I guarantee whatever asshat bureaucrat that came up with that one has never had to mow a day in their life. Prolly lives in a nice apartment in DC or has hired lawn services. Haha. I've bought I don't know how many of those things and every single one has been a huge piece of crap, even when I've ponied up for a more expensive one. I never used to spill gas back when he had the simple old metal cans. Now with the modern plastic ones, gas will just leak out the side of the nozzle as you're filling up the mower. Or they spray out a cloud of fuel when you vent them on a hot day before using them. I curse those stupid things every time I have to use them.

I think the folks using battery or corded snowblowers live where the snow is dry. Here in VT I've ruined one electric and one gas snowblower that was underpowered. When we actually get a big dump, it's usually wet.

Hmm. Saw a snowblower for $1400 — 100 Volt, 4000 W...over 5 hp...maybe there will be ones available that could handle tahoe storms.

Just because I can service carbs and gap a plug doesn’t mean I’m emotionally attached to these noisy fuckers. And gas powered leaf blowers are satan incarnate.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    And gas powered leaf blowers are satan incarnate.
    Seriously. And they always go bananas with those things at like 6:00 on a Saturday morning. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Seriously. And they always go bananas with those things at like 6:00 on a Saturday morning. Haha.
    I'd prefer that to my well off neighbors who have staff. There's a good chance I am on a call with management whenever they feel the urge to run the things, M-F 08:00 to 16:30.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Hmm. Saw a snowblower for $1400 — 100 Volt, 4000 W...over 5 hp...maybe there will be ones available that could handle tahoe storms.

Just because I can service carbs and gap a plug doesn’t mean I’m emotionally attached to these noisy fuckers. And gas powered leaf blowers are satan incarnate.
    For sure. Noisy, smelly, and teh suck.