Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Small lot in the city here, use the Milwaukee 18V blower and weedwhacker and they rock. Next lawnmower will probably be electric too.

I borrowed the 18V electric chainsaw for one little project and was impressed. Not a replacement for gas for actually cutting down trees, but for light work/stealthy thinning it would be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    NOPE, wrong. It started in 1995/6

https://www.epa.gov/regulations-emis...quipment-tools
    Overview
    EPA has adopted emission standards to control both exhaust and evaporative emissions from small spark-ignition engines. Phase 3 exhaust emissions standards took effect in 2011 or 2012, depending on the size of the engine. Evaporative emission standards address fuel permeation through fuel-system components in addition to fuel venting during engine operation.
    Well despite those regulations gasoline-powered lawn and garden equipment still account for a lot of air pollution. And most of us are likely using equipment from days before regulation or before 2012 when those regulations hit phase 3. Not to mention the amount of gas and oil that is spilled while filling these machines. My mower is probably 15 years old and my tiller is a hand me down from my father-in-law who likely purchased it in the 90s.

Here are a few facts I was able to find with a quick google search:

"Results: In 2011, approximately 26.7 million tons of
    pollutants were emitted by GLGE (gas-powered lawn and garden equipment) (VOC=461,800; CO=5,793,200; NOx=68,500, PM10=20,700;
    CO2=20,382,400), accounting for 24%−45% of all nonroad gasoline emissions. Gasoline-powered
    landscape maintenance equipment (GLME; leaf blowers/vacuums, and trimmers, edgers, brush cutters)
    accounted for 43% of VOCs and around 50% of fine PM. Two-stroke engines were responsible for the
    vast majority of fine PM from GLME. State data (California, New York, Texas, Illinois, and Florida),
    2018 projections, and additional comparisons are presented. Methodological issues are discussed.
    Conclusions: GLGE accounts for a major portion of US nonroad gasoline emissions. Two-stroke
    engines are an important source of VOCs and criteria pollutants. " taken from the abstract of this EPA study published in 9/2015: https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...ents/banks.pdf

From this website: https://www.peoplepoweredmachines.co...nvironment.htm

"EPA Statistics: Gas Mowers represent 5% of U.S. Air Pollution

Fact: According to the EPA, one gas mower spews 88 lbs. of the greenhouse gas CO2, and 34 lbs. of other pollutants into the air every year.

Fact: Over 17 million gallons of gas are spilled each year refueling lawn and garden equipment – more oil than was spilled by the Exxon Valdez.

FACT: Americans burn 800 million gallons of gas each year trimming their grassy yards, according to the EPA

FACT: One gas mower running for an hour emits the same amount of pollutants as eight new cars driving 55 mph for the same amount of time, according to the Union of Concerned Scientists"

So why they may be regulated now, they account for a lot of air pollution.

The main point I was trying to make was that GLGE are bad for the environment and as skiers we should be looking for cleaner solutions. Yes, I understand that electricity still likely comes from fossil fuels but those industries are heavily regulated, whereas, garden and lawn equipment are not. Electric powered lawn and garden equipment work great as many here can attest to and its better for the environment. That's a win-win in my book.

I bought a 40V Ryobi chainsaw a while back that is basically worthless where I live. The following year I bought a trimmer that takes the same batteries and it's pretty bad-ass. I don't have a "yard" but I've done some serious fire mitigation on the property which involved the removal of a lot scrub oak. That shit keeps coming back so you have to knock it down at least once a year. I put those plastic serrated blades on the trimmer and it cuts it up pretty good without the muss/fuss of a 2-cycle.
    The Sheriff is near!

My lot takes about 20-30 min per week to scoop, whack, and mow. My 13 year old BD battery mower gave up four years ago so I got a bigger BD electric mower and weed whacker. I have three 40v batteries but only use just over one for mowing and trimming. So much easier than screwing around with gas. Still have a Stihl 155 for edging and tilling the garden and an 026 for saw stuff so continue to have random gas and oil cans around but can see going full electric someday. Gave my bigger Echo saw to a buddy and it’s just too difficult to give up my other. Maybe I’m compensating given the little I use it anymore.

No 'need' for new tools right now, but I'm listening..

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    My lot takes about 20-30 min per week to scoop, whack, and mow. My 13 year old BD battery mower gave up four years ago so I got a bigger BD electric mower and weed whacker. I have three 40v batteries but only use just over one for mowing and trimming. So much easier than screwing around with gas. Still have a Stihl 155 for edging and tilling the garden and an 026 for saw stuff so continue to have random gas and oil cans around but can see going full electric someday. Gave my bigger Echo saw to a buddy and it’s just too difficult to give up my other. Maybe I’m compensating given the little I use it anymore.
    026 is a unicorn saw, plus a gas saw never loses a charge if it sits in the land cruiser for 6months.

quivers...

I know. Had some branches come down in the wind last night and went out this morning, put fresh mix in it, and it fired on the fourth pull after sitting since last summer. Made short work of the sycamore but I'm sneezy now.

Would be tough to let that one go. Plus it fits in the gas can rack of the 80 perfectly for spring trips. I G.O.T.O.S. the shit out of it a couple times a year.

I'm waiting for the battery revolution to happen (Alu-ion soon-ish??) before I consider battery-powered lawn shit.

In the meantime, I have an all electric (plug-in) quiver of shit. And the long extension cord, amazingly, has survived a decade of kids mowing/trimming the yard (I have had to splice it twice, admittedly).

The best part of plug-in electric equipment is that it's *feather* light, which allows kids to do that shit-work at younger ages.

I’m hoping that the next Battery Revolution will be retrofittable to existing platforms, but damn, that sure is an opportunity for companies to sell shitloads more stuff with an all new platform.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I was looking at the battery hedge trimmers and pole saws last night. Seems like a perfect use. No cords to mess with and no need to try to keep a gas engine tuned up on something that will be used 1-2 times a year.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

How am i supposed to punish my teenage son when i catch him drinking if i cant make him mow the lawn at 7am hungover as fuck with a loud gas mower?

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    I bought a 40V Ryobi chainsaw a while back that is basically worthless where I live. .
    a guy did an electric/ pro saw compro on a web site (wranglerstar ) he compared how many cuts the saw can do on a full battery vs a tank of fuel but

he also pointed out suprisingly the electric was not really nice to use compared to the sthil 261 cuz of vibration ect
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    How am i supposed to punish my teenage son when i catch him drinking if i cant make him mow the lawn at 7am hungover as fuck with a loud gas mower?

Just blast Rick Astley while he's using the electric.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Ugh.

Thanks for the flashback….

I actually own that exact mower and love it. I only have 2,000 ft2 of grass but I'd need to have more than double that to even consider going to something powered.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Ugh.

Thanks for the flashback….

"Get yer ass outta bed boy, yer burning daylight!" Shouted my father gleefully. Same as his father before him did, im sure.

We have an EGO mower with a spare battery that we share with 2 other neighbors. It absolutely kicks ass and is better than any other mower I've owned or used. Starting the thing is so nice I'll do it like 5 times just for fun.

We had a Toro eclectic corded leaf blower. My wife loves her a good leaf blower. Worked fine. Got her a Makita 18v cordless one (the single battery version) for mother's day. She is ecstatic. Lighter, stronger, lasts about 15 min on each battery (which is about what it takes to charge the next 3.0 battery) and generally is a massive improvement in every way over the corded one.

Also very much like our Makita 18v cordless string trimmer.

Fully recommend all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

I actually own that exact mower and love it. I only have 2,000 ft2 of grass but I'd need to have more than double that to even consider going to something powered.
    Seriously, the most underrated tool…. I have a two small grass areas. I’m done cutting before my neighbor finishes laying out the extension for his corded mower… and he has a similar amount of grass.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I was looking at the battery hedge trimmers and pole saws last night. Seems like a perfect use. No cords to mess with and no need to try to keep a gas engine tuned up on something that will be used 1-2 times a year.
    I got a battery pole saw last year, and I really dig it. Milwaukee, because I’m all vested in their battery system - drill, impact driver, oscillating tool, leaf blower (dig it), string trimmer (dig it), and boom box ( ). If they come out with a lawn mower I’m probably in.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...t=#post5977658

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Seriously, the most underrated tool…. I have a two small grass areas. I’m done cutting before my neighbor finishes laying out the extension for his corded mower… and he has a similar amount of grass.
    Yep, always ready to go, self-mulching, quiet, and cut like a scalpel when they're sharp. I'll concede that they do suck around edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'll concede that they do suck around edges.
    No problem. After he's done mowing, that's when you hand your hungover kid a pair of scissors to finish the edges.

@Rideit- I have the two stage Ego snowblower that you are asking about. I like it a lot. It has plenty of power for my small driveway. I could fit 4 cars on my driveway- it's like a generic suburban driveway for a 2 car garage.

Wifey gave the green light, we are getting it. Did you have it here this last Febuary? I forget...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    I had the EGO mower for about a week and while it was an impressive piece of equipment, the cut was uneven and it didn't pick up shit. I'll fill the bag on my Snapper 3 times to the EGOs once. After reading the reviews, I concluded it was mostly due to the lightness of the blade as compared to the gas powered options. I sold it on the classifieds. Just last Friday I picked up the new Toro 60V model. The consensus was that it had a nearly full size/weight blade and while my lawn looked better, it also didn't pick up shit.

Wanna buy it

As for batteries on ice, I have a little single stage SnowJoe and a little power shovel. The SnowJoe does fairly well until it warms up and then the chute frequently clogs. The shovel is tits. No battery related issues with either of them. FWIW, I'll usually just reach for the 2 Cycle Toro. It's only 2 years younger than I am, but it'll still throw shit across the road.

FWIW, Most of the two stage battery units that I've checked out have been really poorly made.
    Just stop bagging your grass...better for your yard and then you can keep the electric mower. Why do people think they should pick up their grass clippings?