Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for Unicorn

I did not ski last year due to ACL/meniscus surgery. I also had a couple of cervical vertebrae fused during Covid. I'm looking forward to getting back on skis this winter and am looking for a unicorn of a ski.

Me:
    52 yrs old
    6 foot and 240 (30 lbs overweight)
    East coast skier who hits utah every year if possible.
    Ski mostly groomers in the east and off piste/trees out west.
    Advanced skier who is use to skiing anything not requiring air, but is losing athleticism as the joints are wearing out (2 ACLs, back and neck surgery, arthritis, etc.)

I learned to ski in my mid 20s and never took lessons. I tend to be an athletic skier who relies on strength, fading athleticism and good balance more than refined technique.

I like skiing fast, probably too fast on east coast groomers and chase storms whenever possible.

Currently I ski a Enforcer 100 in 186 (might be a 185) as my daily driver. I ski OG Bent Chetlers as my powder skis. I also have Nordica Fire Arrow 80s (182 ish) that I use occasionally if everything is hard pack. I loved the twin tipped Atomic Coaxes that I had 10 yrs ago and demoed Icelantic Nomad 105s (180s) at Wolf Creek early March of 2020 and loved them on the groomers, the ridges and in the leftovers days after the storms. I tend to have a neutral stance and seem to like progressive mounted skis.

Coming off the two surgeries has me looking for a playful easy skiing progressive mount ski that is fun on groomers and is fun in 3-6 inches of fresh snow or chopped up leftovers, yet still provides decent stability at speed. I want tip rocker, and importantly tail rocker as want a ski that allows the tails to release easily. These are going to be fun skis not carvers. I seem to really do well with skis around 100-105. My OG BCs are 192s with generous rocker and I love them. My 185 ish Enforcers feel a bit heavy and long as they are not progressive mount. So I'm open to anything in the 180- 186 ish length depending on amount of Rocker.

I've got the Enforcers for days I want to just lay them over and make GS turns, but the Enforcers are a bit heavy and not what I would call playful or poppy. When I demoed the Icelantic Nomad 105s at Wolf Creek they only had 180s, which I thought would be too short for me. I ended up absolutely flying on soft groomers with those skis and enjoyed them all over the mountain. They now come in a 186, so that is a thought.

What suggestions does the collective have for me. BTW I've already ruled out Praxis RX and snow blades.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mfree108 or Mfree99

And here I was thinking that this thread was about finding a single lady for a MFF.

Bold move looking for that on TGR

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Mfree108 or Mfree99
    Seconded. Mfree 108 is the ski you seek

The standard Praxis RX is 116 under foot, given your parameters not sure why you would consider that ski anyway. In the Praxis world given what you described as your target ski you should consider the 9D8.

How playful and progressive mounted are you looking for? Wildcat 101 or 108 comes to mind but will feel pretty different from the Enforcers, albeit in a really positive way if you're trying to head in a notably more playful direction while still maintaining stability and fun groomer performance (especially the 101). Other than that I also agree with the Mfree recommendation
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Praxis piste jib

the Mfree is an interesting ski -
    any comments about the hybrid core for us big guys ( I am a little concerned about durability )(?)

My reaction to the description you seek was Volkl 100eight, which now appears to be the (Volkl) Blaze106 -

while I am hopelessly ( Old school ), the performance of the top Volkls ski very well... and

in my experience and my luck, they are very durable skis ( ymmv ).

Good luck... ( I do not envy the road ahead for you physically. ...
    if your (physical) Work or your training regime allow you to delay aging, I will be glad for You. )

100eight or Blaze106 -

skiJ
    Last edited by skiJ; 06-22-2021 at 10:11 AM.

I'll contribute to the broken record: m-free 108 sounds up your alley. You like to go fast and you want something playful. Seems like the enforcer free 104 would also be a viable option.

I think on the narrower spectrum of skis that you might like on the east coast more, the m-free 99, slicer, or rossi holy shred are good considerations as well.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    the Mfree is an interesting ski -
    any comments about the hybrid core for us big guys ( I am a little concerned about durability )(?)
    I think people hear "hybrid core" and get the jimmies. For good reason too.

Dynastar is putting PU as the additional material, not cardboard or something else erratic/flimsy. Couple that with a titanal binding plate and you have a very capable ski core. I'm very surprised at how much I like the PU/wood core.

Not sure how big you are, but I'm 180-190 in the ski season and I put my pair through the ringer this winter; camber profile is still very prominent, no cracks, no core shots (thick base material) even though I hit plenty of rocks.

Only think that people kind of complain about is the weight. But good luck finding a ski as stable as the m-free that's lighter.
    Last edited by DarthMarkus; 06-22-2021 at 02:58 PM.

like BC13 ( the OP ) I go two-fifty --

been a Dynastar guy for decades - and
    the design and construction of this ski,,,, ( I have not kept up ) --

weighting a third again what DM weighs, I still wonder about durability - but I am never airborne and those forces probably are greater than anything generated by my M.

thanks for an interesting thread...

skiJ

The contingent I ski with is all around 200lbs or more, myself included. Big dudes, big boots, fast speeds. No durability issues despite bad decisions. I even landed on a legit scree pile and barely skied out... broke a rib but the skis were fine.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I had not heard of the MFree line from Dynastar and they look spot on. I had also looked into the Piste Jib. I will checkout the Wildcat.

TahoeJ, thanks for the well wishes - my body feels better than it has in a few years and I can't wait to get on the snow.

Looking for Unicorn

Just buy a pair of Mfree 108’s, esp considering you have the other widths covered. It’s stoopid how good they are, I bet you don’t reach for the other skis after being on a pair. A couple of us have put up some pretty extensive reviews in the Dynastar thread.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    The contingent I ski with is all around 200lbs or more, myself included.
    I guess we don't ski together, cause I sure as hell aint 200lbs

I have some Moment Commander 108z / 194 ya can have cheap & im EC.

I'll concur with the MFree 108 crowd. It's the mythical playful charger that I was looking for. Easy to ski but has a ton of backbone. Don't be afraid of the 192cm length. I skied them 100% of my non powder days even with plenty of other skis available to me.

Deathwish

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    I'll concur with the MFree 108 crowd. It's the mythical playful charger that I was looking for. Easy to ski but has a ton of backbone. Don't be afraid of the 192cm length. I skied them 100% of my non powder days even with plenty of other skis available to me.
    192 or 180 was my question. I'm a big guy but ski in the east where the trails are tight and trees are tighter. 186 sounds perfect - If it was offered.

I read a lot of the commentary re: the 108s in the Dynastar thread. It seems most agree the 192 is an easy and forgiving ski.

Looking for Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by BC13 View Post
    192 or 180 was my question. I'm a big guy but ski in the east where the trails are tight and trees are tighter. 186 sounds perfect - If it was offered.

I read a lot of the commentary re: the 108s in the Dynastar thread. It seems most agree the 192 is an easy and forgiving ski.

I would not characterize the 192 MFree108 as easy and forgiving. That’s something like an Enforcer 104. The 192 MFree108 is playful and loose for how freeride oriented it is. Also, the MFree108 in a 192 is over 2300-grams per ski.

Which year Enforcer 100 are you on? If it is pre-2021, it’s the one with the softer tail and is one of the easiest skis around. I own the Enforcer 100 from 2019 in a 185 and MFree108 in a 192. The MFree108 is a lot more ski than the Enforcer 100.

I think the MFree could work for you. just want to make sure you understand the character of that ski.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    I would not characterize the 192 MFree108 as easy and forgiving. That’s something like an Enforcer 104. The 192 MFree108 is playful and loose for how freeride oriented it is. Also, the MFree108 in a 192 is over 2300-grams per ski.

Which year Enforcer 100 are you on? If it is pre-2021, it’s the one with the softer tail and is one of the easiest skis around. I own the Enforcer 100 from 2019 in a 185 and MFree108 in a 192. The MFree108 is a lot more ski than the Enforcer 100.

I think the MFree could work for you. just want to make sure you understand the character of that ski.
    Bandit Man - thanks for the response. That is really helpful information. As I will be using the skis in the east I think the 180 is the way to go whether it is the M Free 99 or 108. Coming back from a 2nd ACL I would rather have a little less ski than ideal than more ski than I am comfortable with.

My two favorite skis (Atomic Coax in 182 and OG Bent Cheltler in 192) have been twin tips and I'm not sure why I ever ventured away from that design as a DD.

One question, does the 108 feel more lively and playful than the Enforcer 100? I dont find the Enforcer 100 to be a difficult ski, I find it to be a kind of smooth predictable "boring" ski that likes to rail groomers but is not "playful".

Quote Originally Posted by BC13 View Post
    Bandit Man - thanks for the response. That is really helpful information. As I will be using the skis in the east I think the 180 is the way to go whether it is the M Free 99 or 108. Coming back from a 2nd ACL I would rather have a little less ski than ideal than more ski than I am comfortable with.

My two favorite skis (Atomic Coax in 182 and OG Bent Cheltler in 192) have been twin tips and I'm not sure why I ever ventured away from that design as a DD.

One question, does the 108 feel more lively and playful than the Enforcer 100? I dont find the Enforcer 100 to be a difficult ski, I find it to be a kind of smooth predictable "boring" ski that likes to rail groomers but is not "playful".

I agree with your characterization of the Enforcer. Predictable but boring. The MFree108 is much more playful than the Enforcer. It was in my top 3 favorite skis from last year, the other two skis being traditional wood/metal layups.

In soft conditions, the MFree108 is in its element and I think that is where it gets its reputation for being “easy”. Compared to skis like the Legend Pro/M-Pro 105 it certainly is, but as conditions get tighter and firmer, it becomes more work, IMO.

You could definitely handle the 192 MFree108 and likely enjoy it. I believe it takes a little more work/effort despite its playful pedigree. It is a cool mix of freestyle design with free ride/big mountain chops. There aren’t a lot of skis that are like it IMO. You just need to be willing to commit the effort to it.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

I recommend you check out the Mantra 102.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

To recover from knee surgery, I always test my knee and test my limits for an extended period on THIS 2-ski quiver:

- 183cm Head m103 (for top speeds & power without risk of hooking or any injurious rotations), and
    - 179cm O.G. Hellbent (it measures 184cm, and it will always fold softly instead of re-injuring your knee).

Yes, even for a 240-pound skier.

Those 2 stepping-stone skis will tell you when you're ready to step it up to your 192 Bent Chetlers, and to a HUGE 194+ cm charger ski.

Last edited by Vitamin I; 06-28-2021 at 06:19 AM.
    - TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy