Check Out Our Shop
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39

Thread: Tool Time

That’s so good to know. I actually feel the sram one I have seals better (I am assuming because of the O ring) and have been using it even though I have both. Good to know it can do some damage, will be switching back!

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    The threads of the fittings are the same, but the smooth piece below it & tapered tip are different lengths, at least in the current SRAM Pro Bleed Kit. So it will work in an emergency but not seal great, and it's possible to advance the SRAM ones past the bottom of the Hayes bleed port threads and fuck things up. Ask me how I know...

That said, the fittings in the Park Tool DOT bleed kit work fine.

With the Hayes one, they rely on bottoming out to fully seal. In their video, they say to tighten with fingers, then use a Knipex or something to give it just a little bit more to bottom out the conical tip on the machined recess in the bleed port.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I’ve had great success spreading pads with a Pedro’s tire lever. Sometimes I even use it for tires.

Also, why can’t you goons use a $7 digital Chinesium caliper? Probably splurge and get an $18 one! You guys building Atomic Clocks?

Limited-time deal: Digital Caliper, Adoric 0-6" Calipers Measuring Tool - Electronic Micrometer Caliper with Large LCD Screen, Auto-Off Feature, Inch and Millimeter Conversion
    https://a.co/d/4t8sesA

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I just got a set of these 3d printed piston spreaders. They work so well, much better than levering with piston spreader or tire lever.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/1554333...e_feat_3&sts=1

Quote Originally Posted by NT View Post
    I just got a set of these 3d printed piston spreaders. They work so well, much better than levering with piston spreader or tire lever.
    nice simple idea.

$25 shipping to CND. fuck

Looks like the creator makes the files available for free: https://www.printables.com/en/model/...iston-spreader

Find someone with a 3d printer, visit a library with one, or use an online service that will print (or ask the guy if he can figure out a cheaper way to mail something small and light since it looks like he's mostly doing this as a hobby).

SRAM Universal Bleed Block #11.5018.059.002. It's only $11.00 and works great.

This was covered a month ago on Escape Collective New Tool Day

This bottom one replaces all the older version. It's now gaining some attention because its included with the newly (yesterday) released SRAM RED group/brake sets. It's actually been quietly out for almost a year.
    Photos from the Escape Collective's tool guru Dave Rome:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SRAM-Universal-Brake-Bleed-Block-and-Piston-Press-new-tools-day-dave-rome-1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	339.7 KB 
ID:	493751

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SRAM-Universal-Brake-Bleed-Block-and-Piston-Press-new-tools-day-dave-rome-4.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	327.0 KB 
ID:	493750

Hey Dee/etc, what are you guys using for blind bearing pullers? I bought some absolute shit on Amazon. Returning ASAP.
    I can get the Wheels Manufacturing, anything else better out there?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I have some sizes of the WheelsMF extractors, they are good. I like them when I can strike the tool with a drift punch from the back side. I kinda wish I had a full set of these, I missed the full set of 11 when they went on closeout from QBP, it was a killer deal.
    I also have a set of Peadling Tools Blind pullers with a big slide hammer. It's identical to the Enduro BBT-100. This is great when I can fully support the frame part and slam the slide hammer to remove the bearings.
    I have various presses, I have bunch from BearingProTools.com when they first stared up. I prefer to press a bearing when ever I can, but more and more bike have bearings that are set blind, back to back bearings or BSB (bearings, spacer bearing).

I'm really tempted to buy a full set of bearing presses from https://www.altalt.ca their stuff looks very clever, its Canadian, their parts are made from Acetal, and he has so many instructional videos and diagrams. He wants people to understand how to press out bearings, he does not want water keep the trade secrets.

Thanks Dee, that's perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by NT View Post
    I’d been contemplating whether I could cut up some wallpaper/decal squeegees to make a half assed version of the SRAM spread, but yeah that looks much better.

When everyone talks about their magic knipex, do you mean the wrench pliers I assume? Which size is most useful? Thanks!

Speaking of 3D printing, I was thinking on a ride about how I could design a little doo-hickey that would hold a Shimano derailleur ‘open’ for wheel removal, like the brilliant SRAM ‘ button’. Have any of you seen anything like this?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer123 View Post
    When everyone talks about their magic knipex, do you mean the wrench pliers I assume? Which size is most useful? Thanks!
    I use the 7 1/4” the most. Also love the twin grips for some stripped bolt heads