Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18

Thread: Tool Time

Amazing setup Gunder. Dare is ask what your automobile storage and tools look like?!!

Iím totally agree with buying good tools and do house projects yourself. My problem is finding available time. Iím most jealous of your free time to tackle all these projects. Maybe when Iím older and thereís less family/work stuff going on.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    That's great. I was debating running wood the length of the table as a fence, or just using the Bosch miter fence and routing in length-wise T-Track stop. Maybe I'll go with your system instead, I can pick some up tomorrow at Woodcraft and give it a whirl - thanks Gunder!
    I'd counsel against running the fence the full length. A couple of feet on either side of the saw is plenty, and allows more flexibility both in how you use the tables and in dealing with less than perfectly straight material.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by g_man80 View Post
    Amazing setup Gunder. Dare is ask what your automobile storage and tools look like?!!

I’m totally agree with buying good tools and do house projects yourself. My problem is finding available time. I’m most jealous of your free time to tackle all these projects. Maybe when I’m older and there’s less family/work stuff going on.
    We park the vehicles out side. Its a pretty mild climate here, so that works pretty well.

This is what it looked like when we purchased the house.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2608.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	833.2 KB 
ID:	423777

I really wanted a 3 bay garage with a seperate shop building. My wife insisted on being in town with my work having me on the road 4~6 months a year. Problem is that anything in town with 3 bays and a shop was 2 Mill plus. Heck, I dont think you can find a true 3 bay garage in town these days for less than 1.5Mill. Its stupid.

So I basically have a 2 bay garage, with one of the bays being deep enough to technically hold a third vehicle.

This is what it looked like just prior to moving the March 10ee lathe in that I am rebuilding.

Name:	IMG_0279.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	888.2 KB 
ID:	423778

If I push the cabinet saw to one side, My wife can easily park her Rav4 in there.... not that she gets to. If I ever need to work on my F250, I can squeeze it in, but I only have a few inches of space or it will hit the Bridgeport.

This is looking from the back of the garage

Name:	IMG_4468.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	619.2 KB 
ID:	423780

My ski tuning / mounting set up takes up an entire side of the extra deep stall.

Name:	IMG_4250.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	851.0 KB 
ID:	423781
    Thats the side that pays for the rest of the toys.

The upside of me working non-stop all winter, is that I typically have all summer off to be with the family and doing "projects". I basically grew up with my dad working on things in his home shop... learned way more from that, than I ever did in 7 years of Engineering classes.

Name:	IMG_3752.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	772.2 KB 
ID:	423782

So, I try to go out of my way to make the shop feel fun, and inviting for my son. I also try to make it educational. Here I was teaching him about the power of levers, and he gets to smash stuff (dad's got a really fun beer can crusher)

Name:	IMG_1537.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	680.8 KB 
ID:	423783
    Lowes sells these wooden toy kits for kids. Ever since my son found out about them, he always wants to go with me when I go to that hardware store. He loves putting them together.

Personally I prefer the local hardware store in town. Its Called Hardware Sales and takes up 2x2 city blocks.... I've never seen another hardware store like it, that is as well stocked with just about everything. Its a bit like walking though a McMaster-Carr catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    I'd counsel against running the fence the full length. A couple of feet on either side of the saw is plenty, and allows more flexibility both in how you use the tables and in dealing with less than perfectly straight material.
    I'd agree with this. My fence extends 4 feet to either side. Its more than wants needed to set work stops 99% of the time. I dont see a need for it being any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    There is not enough money in the world to get me to shoot a wedding. Iíll bought all of my festool stuff when we had some major home projects going on. After buying the tools and doing the work in my free time I saved over $30k off of the cheapest quote we got from the local contrators and ended up with better quality. At the end of the day I have nice tools because I donít pay someone else to by themselves nice tools to do what I am capable of doing myself.
    I kind of figured with the excellence of your action sports photography, you wouldnít be eating cold catered chicken in a tent in a field!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    Personally I prefer the local hardware store in town. Its Called Hardware Sales and takes up 2x2 city blocks.... I've never seen another hardware store like it, that is as well stocked with just about everything. Its a bit like walking though a McMaster-Carr catalog.
    I really miss that place, hard to explain its awesomeness.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Name:	365ADCAD-E653-4E45-9513-F9A62DB7C6BC.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	648.5 KB 
ID:	423884
    Newest acquisition for precise measurements in the shop. Most numbers on the american side are worn down and hard to see. And the ruler measurements start 3/16 from the end of the ruler, so if you are on drugs this thing can really mess you up. Most drugs are better than this ruler IMO