Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Tool Time

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Am I ridiculous for coveting a set of Whia/Bondus colored hex wrenches for $35-40 bucks? There's a real devil/angel thing going on in my head on whether this is a worthy self reward for nothing in particular other than not killing anyone or otherwise destroying my fragile life.
    Someone gave me a set of Bondhus and they’re awesome. You’re worth it too, man.

Go to Wera Hex Plus and thank us later.

I spent big $ on PB Swiss only to find out that Wera is even nicer, so I had to get those too.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Would be nice to have something like that Wera set, but I'd lose it for sure, probably within days.

Am I ridiculous for coveting a set of Whia/Bondus colored hex wrenches for $35-40 bucks? There's a real devil/angel thing going on in my head on whether this is a worthy self reward for nothing in particular other than not killing anyone or otherwise destroying my fragile life.
    No. You are not ridiculous. Bodhus is nice. Wera is awesome.

You need them.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Go to Wera Hex Plus and thank us later.

I spent big $ on PB Swiss only to find out that Wera is even nicer, so I had to get those too.
    You have my attention. Specifics?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

You have my attention.
    https://www-de.wera.de/en/great-tools/hex-plus/

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTBiPjCeVwI
    yea, I just watched a 15 min video on hex wrenches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTBiPjCeVwI
    yea, I just watched a 15 min video on hex wrenches.
    I already have a gold Bodus set that has noticeably better tolerance than my cheaper stuff from Spin Doctor, Park, and Husky.
    The fasteners I find the most vulnerable are A) Anything from Kind Shock. Worst bolt tolerances ever. Terrified to use with a cheap hex wrench. B). Little fuckers on clamp-on grips. I've had to dremel a couple of these off because they strip so easily. I guess the question is, would the Hex-Plus be less likely to strip a bolt, or would a wrench with better tolerances?

Yes, the hex plus work better on shitty low tolerance bolts. However, if they're already somewhat stripped from a crappy wrench, they can still round out (BTDT).

I got the Wera mini ratchet along with the bike allen wrench set because it has a bunch of the hex plus bits. I use them with my torque wrench instead of whatever crappy bits came with it. The mini ratchet is nice for tight access stuff, like the rear shock bolt on Spec yokes or water bottles.

Wear hex plus are awesome. I wish they made a 4-5-6 one like park but with good quality.

I guess the question is, would the Hex-Plus be less likely to strip a bolt, or would a wrench with better tolerances?
    The answer is yes. The Wera has better tolerance, AND tit's Hex-Plus design has the added advantage of being less likely to strip a bolt.

Really like my Bondhus inline (screwdriver style) hex driver set.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

A few new Black Friday pickups:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7153.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	472.4 KB 
ID:	437453

Late in the season I had to trim 8mm off of a carbon steerer tube, it had both hydraulic brake lines and di2 wires running through the inside of the steerer. Since it was not a major reach/height adjustment I didn't need to shorten the brake hoses, but also didn't want to remove them from the levers, un lace them from the steerer, and to bleed the road levers on reassembly.
    Contemplating a way to cleanly cut the carbon steerer with the wires still inside, I remembered the design of the Abbey Tools cutting guide. It allows you to unthread and remove the clamping brace (green part) and place the cutting guide around the wires and over the steerer tube. I called a mechanic buddy and borrowed his Abbey Tool for this, It worked perfectly so I put it on my metal list to purchase one during black Friday sales (the only time of year Abbey ever have a sale). The other nice feature is that it has 2 cutting slots, a narrow one for a traditional steel blade, and a wide cutting slot for a carbon cutting blade.
    I also have the Park Tool traditional cutting guide, and will keep that one for steel blade cuts that need to be mounted in a vice, and use the Abbey for all carbon cuts.
    I still prefer a pipe cutter for aluminum bars and steerer, as long as they get reamed properly afterwards. See post #502 for the reamers I like.

I also picked up the Abbey Tools DUB Self-Extracting Cap Tool. If you have ever had to remove one of these stripped/seized caps, you know a tool specific to this job is crucial. I'm still confused how DUB cranks come from the assembly factories needing a 10 foot pipe to remove them, but that a different topic.

Tool Time

Also some new Knipex. I found a super deal/miss priced set.
    I think I’m going to mill the ends down to make 2 out of this set become cone wrenches.

Name:	IMG_7157.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	437811
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 12-11-2022 at 02:36 PM.

Tool Time

Trying to pass on the appreciation. My college kid needs pliers and a posidrive 3. He’s getting Knipex and Wiha versions for Xmas.

He’s gonna be shocked. Very cool.

I’m doing the opposite and buying my dad knipex for Christmas. Tools and booze are always safe gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Trying to pass on the appreciation. My college kid needs pliers and a posidrive 3. He’s getting Knipex and Wiha versions for Xmas.

He’s gonna be shocked. Very cool.

Tool Time

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    I’m doing the opposite and buying my dad knipex for Christmas. Tools and booze are always safe gifts.
    That’s awesome. My mom makes jewelry, and I’m slowly giving her a set of the nicest jewelry tools I can find. She’s getting some Lindstrom Supreme Snipe Nose pliers for Christmas. Soon she’ll have a full set.
    Last edited by EWG; 12-11-2022 at 10:31 PM.

Tool Time

Bench Vises….I need a smaller bench vise for my front-of-shop bench. Primarily used for holding cutting guides, and maybe a freewheel tool now and then.
    Suggestions? In tend to like the “second best” option when buying shit like this.

Edit: Wilton is the answer. Got a little 4” Super Junior Vice. That will be fine up front, we’ve got the big boy in back.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by joetron; 12-29-2022 at 04:41 PM.

Anyone order from Haus of Tools? If so, how was your experience?

Name:	fullsizeoutput_149e.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	300.3 KB 
ID:	442664

Name:	fullsizeoutput_149f.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	281.8 KB 
ID:	442665
    Originally bought a Wera set, but returned them for a couple reasons: Really couldn't reconcile the super loose tolerance built into the Hex-Plus system. I know it's in my head, but I've grown to love the tight tolerance of my old Bondus set and cringe at anything loose. If I ever strip something out down the road I'll kick myself and try to remember to come back in here to eat crow. I also didn't like the plastic wrap that they do to color coat. Doesn't fit in my bike stand tool tray, feels clunky, actually harder to spin a tool with my arthritic thumbs.
    Got the Wihas from Amazon as "Used-Very Good" for $15 off. As far as I can tell they're brand new without a retail package.
    Hopefully these add a bit of class to my otherwise drab man cave!
    To be honest though, style is all they are. The color scheme doesn't do anything to help identify tools, since similar sizes share similar colors. If there's going to be two greens, they should at least be on opposite ends of the rack rather than the two most commonly used adjacent sizes.

I need to bulk out an order to get free shipping, $15 tool plus free shipping will be the same cost as original order plus shipping.

I am thinking about getting the wiha 6 in 1, anyone used it? The supplier I am buying from carries wiha and knipex if there is anything else in the 15-25 range I should look at instead.

The Euros are winning. The Loctite solder I am used to using is discontinued, presumably because there isn’t much of a market for leaded solder any more.

Tool Time

Think outside the (bike) box, Wiha makes a great Pozi drive screwdriver for your ski bindings.

https://www.wihatools.com/products/s...iver-3-x-150mm

I just picked one of these up to replace the ~25 year old chain whip I've been struggling with. It didn't work well with 11 or 12s cassettes bc the chain part was like a BMX width.

This new tool is pretty sweet, and has 11t and 10t sides. It fits into my toolbox better to boot.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230120_180959.jpeg 
Views:	73 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	443573Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230120_180948.jpeg 
Views:	71 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	443574
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Kinda jealous about that. Would love to ditch the whip.

I have seen that PRO tool on this shimano b2b and always wondered exactly how it worked but that's pretty dang cool, it's added to my cart now! I'm pretty happy with chain pliers though over a whip for every day shop use, I know some old school mechanics around town who say they hate the pliers, but can never really give me a reason why.