Wera Tools Advent Calendar.
    24 days of a new tool surprise.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5958.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	849.1 KB 
ID:	427434
    Dec 1st can’t come quick enough!
    Nothing like wera tools covered in holly graphics. That’s very cool. Enjoy.

I got one of those today too, but I opened the whole thing. The bit driver is sweet, has a little button on top to open / close the storage for bits.

Name:	68576394985__160790EB-F57A-428E-9F2C-F3D32ABD22F5.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	427458

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    I got one of those today too, but I opened the whole thing.
    You must be fun at parties….
    Hey have you heard that:
    -Kevin Spacey was Kaiser Söze
    -Tyler Durden isn’t real in Fight Club
    -Bruce Willis was dead all along in The Six Sense

Yeah, what a dick move. Sorry for your loss, DH.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I’ll post some stoke tomorrow.
    I have some new pipe bevel tools I want to show.

Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe View Post
    Alright, so I'm ready to replace my lousy 1/2" Craftsman ratchet with something better. When I'm removing something like a threaded receiver hitch pin where there's not much swing room, the slop (it won't hold onto a socket anymore) and high degree of rotation between clicks on the ratchet means I may as well use a box end wrench for the job. I don't need top shelf, but I'd like something I'll be pleased with (and that has fewer degrees of rotation between engagement points on the ratchet) the few times I need the 1/2" drive ratchet. Bonus if I can use the handle as a makeshift hammer, e.g. to tap in a control arm bolt, so I don't' have to crawl out from under the vehicle to go get the right tool for the job. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
    I’ve got a ton of snap on, wera, SK, etc. I would honestly recommend Tekton for everything unless you’re a full time wrencher.

Why don’t they include a hard case with tools anymore?
    Looking to move on from my 18yo Makita drill/impact driver set, but that thing came with a sweet case. Anything new is meant to just chuck in a drawer with a bunch of other junk?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Looking to move on from my 18yo Makita drill/impact driver set, but that thing came with a sweet case. Anything new is meant to just chuck in a drawer with a bunch of other junk?

No, you're supposed to buy a fancy case after you buy your fancy new tools. I think I've seen a few exceptions, but my guess is that more people prefer a different than the molded case that fits just the tool and nothing else, and plenty are already bought into one system or another (eg Packout, Tough system, Systainer, etc).

You can get a drill/driver set with a case:
    https://www.dewalt.com/product/dckts...-systemtm-case

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Yeah, what a dick move. Sorry for your loss, DH.
    Didn't think it was a dick move since all the photos of the tools are posted on the product page for it in tons of detail. I've never done Christmas - didn't know advent calendars were such a big deal. Sorry fellas!

Wow, glad this thread came around right now, trying to figure some tool storage solution. Unfortunately I still rent, so that needs to be factored in. I don’t regularly travel with my A1 bike tools as I have cheaper versions of the more common stuff in a car kit (and then obviously small kits on each bike). So those are the first two points. Third , as many of the articles on bike tools mention- over the last five years of building my own bikes I’ve amassed a strangely large collection of odds and ends, so do need a bit of space, this is what im using for now; a big husky folding bag and a wolftooth roller, I do like the wolftooth wrap quite a bit, so want to factor that into future storage solution.

Name:	77FB8DDF-CBA0-4A14-AE75-4CB47400F45E.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	815.9 KB 
ID:	428193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	846B0452-4CCE-42B5-AE6F-B8F2A638C963.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	605.0 KB 
ID:	428194

Just seeing what you all have done / seen/ heard of. Most I see so far in stepping up from the husky bag is either cases that seem just a bit too small, or chests that seem HUGE! I have some big closest space that if I got organized could be even better, plus an old house basement that has the laundry and while I would, I prefer not to work down there.

So with all that in mind, anyone got some thoughts?
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Yeah so if I had all my tools neatly organized in a case it would be real easy for the bad guy to come and lift my bike tools

instead he would look, say fuck what a mess and grab the computer tool kit which I havent used in 17 yrs
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post

They still do, you just need to step up to the plate and buy some Festool stuff. Granted $100 or so of the price is for the case!

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Wow, glad this thread came around right now, trying to figure some tool storage solution. Unfortunately I still rent, so that needs to be factored in. I don’t regularly travel with my A1 bike tools as I have cheaper versions of the more common stuff in a car kit (and then obviously small kits on each bike). So those are the first two points. Third , as many of the articles on bike tools mention- over the last five years of building my own bikes I’ve amassed a strangely large collection of odds and ends, so do need a bit of space, this is what im using for now; a big husky folding bag and a wolftooth roller, I do like the wolftooth wrap quite a bit, so want to factor that into future storage solution.

Just seeing what you all have done / seen/ heard of. Most I see so far in stepping up from the husky bag is either cases that seem just a bit too small, or chests that seem HUGE! I have some big closest space that if I got organized could be even better, plus an old house basement that has the laundry and while I would, I prefer not to work down there.

Name:	Image1664593760.062321.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	200.2 KB 
ID:	428208

Name:	Image1664593797.132146.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	207.5 KB 
ID:	428209

I’m already heavily invested in Festool Systainers, so I use them for small parts storage so it’s grab and go.

OK Gunder, the above pic prompts me to inquire what sort of label-maker are you using? I've got an old one, but it's such a PITA to use that I never bother. I'm gonna be moving in a year and with that will come a new shop and lots of drawers needing labels.

OK Gunder, the above pic prompts me to inquire what sort of label-maker are you using? I've got an old one, but it's such a PITA to use that I never bother. I'm gonna be moving in a year and with that will come a new shop and lots of drawers needing labels.

Name:	Image1664636451.122478.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	242.4 KB 
ID:	428258

It’s a Bradley 21. They are more exotic buy then the ptouch ones, but save you a fortune as you can dictate the actual length of label being used.

They even make heat shrink labels for it.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post

Checkout the Milwaukee packout system.

Most major brands have similar modular containers (dewalts is nice too) but Milwaukee seems to have the best variety; crates, drawers, carts, wall mounts, etc… plus it’s red.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

If you think old style labels makers are a pain in the ass, try the P-Touch Cube. $60 and its Bluetooth to your phone, no typing on a pinter keyboard. 100's of fonts and symbols, can adjust ribbon length, number of prints. Plenty of templates, same common 12mm print tape. Plug in or AAA batteries for wireless printing. small size at 5"x5" x 2.5".
    If you want to get get fancy go P-Touch Cube PLUS at $110. Bigger 24mm tape, higher resolution to print things like bar codes.

Name:	246678_02_cube_plus_2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	348.3 KB 
ID:	428269

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Checkout the Milwaukee packout system.

Most major brands have similar modular containers (dewalts is nice too) but Milwaukee seems to have the best variety; crates, drawers, carts, wall mounts, etc… plus it’s red.

+1 from me on this. I've got a lot of yellow tools in red cases because I found the Packout stuff to meet my needs better than the DeWalt system. I think DeWalt has addressed the big issue for me (offering drawers), but I'm committed and happy at this point. The price gets into buy once, cry once territory, but I'm hoping I'll still be happy with the system years from now

My bicycle toolkit is in a Packout tool box, which actually seals (the drawers don't) so I don't have to worry about weather if it's in the truck bed with bikes.

My auto tools are in Craftsman roller (the narrow size) that I've had for probably 15 years. I'd like to move them into Packout containers, but I'm too cheap as long as the Craftsman is mostly functional (it's not quite square due to a mishap while unloading a U-Hau). There have been enough times that I've had to grab a bag and transferred stuff from the big tool chest to throw in the car that having that stuff in Packout containers would be nice, but I'd also need to think that through carefully--with hand tools, it's easy to end up with a toolbox that I can't actually lift.

And yes, the earlier point that if someone broke into my garage, they'd be pretty psyched about the organization is probably true. But I've found myself wanting to grab stuff for off-site use enough that it makes my life easier, too.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

thanks all good ideas!
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Tool Time

I like the standard metal with some portables as needed.

My apartment tool needs were managed by keeping 90% of my tools in a cantilevered box like this.

https://a.co/d/gZt4zSI

Not my exact model, but same idea. That plus a little organization was great. Of course I don’t have bulky versions of tools in it like a full set of t handle hex keys. But it was good for everything I needed for bike, motorcycle, and household work.

Stuff that didn’t go in it was like saws, power drill, clamps, and some oddball specialty tools.

Wow, label makers have come a long way from my old P-Touch! Good options to consider. Thank you both!

Tools shipped directly from Japan--have you done it? Can you?

I just ordered a jacket from Mont-Bell for half of the US cost, partially bc the JPY is very weak compared with USD right now. It would be a good time to get my Nepros and Mituyoyo on, but I can't find a website that seems promising. I've found a few woodworking specific ones, but nothing for machine tools.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Tools shipped directly from Japan--have you done it? Can you?

I just ordered a jacket from Mont-Bell for half of the US cost, partially bc the JPY is very weak compared with USD right now. It would be a good time to get my Nepros and Mituyoyo on, but I can't find a website that seems promising. I've found a few woodworking specific ones, but nothing for machine tools.
    I have purchased from https://neprostools.com/ before. Easy, good customer service, once my items came in stock shipping was fairly quick.