Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Tool Time

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Every time you buy something it comes with a wrench. I just bought a new TV & it came with an Allen wrench to put on the legs that I’ll never use so they’re on a shelf in the garage until I figure out which of the 5 bins they’re supposed to go into for trash/recycling. Since forever i’ve just been tossing them in my junk drawer.
    Attachment 426626
    Maybe gunder could use these.
    Do you like having fasteners rounded off?

Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe View Post
    Alright, so I'm ready to replace my lousy 1/2" Craftsman ratchet with something better. When I'm removing something like a threaded receiver hitch pin where there's not much swing room, the slop (it won't hold onto a socket anymore) and high degree of rotation between clicks on the ratchet means I may as well use a box end wrench for the job. I don't need top shelf, but I'd like something I'll be pleased with (and that has fewer degrees of rotation between engagement points on the ratchet) the few times I need the 1/2" drive ratchet. Bonus if I can use the handle as a makeshift hammer, e.g. to tap in a control arm bolt, so I don't' have to crawl out from under the vehicle to go get the right tool for the job. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
    I have a bunch of Snapon ratchets, but I ALWAYS reach for the Nepros first. Its supper compact, has high-engagement, and is super strong.

https://drpd.cc/tool-shop/ratchets-s...chet-nbrc390l/

https://neprostools.com/products/a000075

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6339.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	813.8 KB 
ID:	426819

Name:	IMG_6340.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	583.5 KB 
ID:	426822

Name:	IMG_6341.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	746.3 KB 
ID:	426820

For tight spaces, nothing beats these: https://youtu.be/fNPt-ekUPUA

Handle rotates as well as standard ratchet action. Suuuuper nice for working inside engine bays and what not too.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post

Handle rotates as well as standard ratchet action. Suuuuper nice for working inside engine bays and what not too.
    That is a pretty cool feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    Do you like having fasteners rounded off?
    I was making a joke that didn’t work. I never use these, I throw them in a junk drawer. I guess I should bring them to our once per year metal recycling we have in our town.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I was making a joke that didn’t work. I never use these, I throw them in a junk drawer. I guess I should bring them to our once per year metal recycling we have in our town.
    It wasn't lost on everyone. I do the same damn thing. It's so wasteful to just toss them out, so I throw them in drawer and never use them again. Actually, I usually don't even use them once. I don't wrench that type of crap together by hand.

I've found those things to be pretty uses. I got one my Dad gave me years ago. I dont think I have ever used it, as you cant really get much for torque out of it. A good set of Wobble extensions with a universal joint or two seems to work every time.

I was also making a joke...

Make a maze with them
    Name:  mazer.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  79.3 KB

Just watched this yesterday about , looks like Gearwrench rated high and is affordable.

I own the Wera in the video, thanks to this thread, but I'll leave real-world recommendations to the experts here.

Motherfuckers at Rock Shox rounded out the damper body bleed screw on my shock from the factory. Someone needs to get them some overpriced German hex bit sockets and a torque wrench.

Ah, I should've figured ProjectFarm would have a vid on ratchets. Gearwrench it is - thanks! Gunder, I'd love a Nepros, but for my occasional use, I can't see spending north of $150. That's a lot of beer! But thanks for the feedback just same.

I've found those things to be pretty uses. I got one my Dad gave me years ago. I dont think I have ever used it, as you cant really get much for torque out of it.
    Clearly you’ve never been contorted under a car with a bolt head backed up against the frame, and only able to rotate your ratchet 5 degrees while the bolt is loose but still too tight to get your fingers on it. Takes forever to back it out rotating a ratchet but like 30 seconds with the special rotating handle.

Starting to build a new toolbox, and am totally lost in the woods.

I have a 3 drawer Milwaukee packout, and am splitting it between MTB and moto. I travel a lot, so the idea is to consolidate more of my 'specialty' tools so I can set up and deal with most repairs that will come up. That said versatility is more important to me than the highest quality.

Currently suffering from information overload, and have two weeks to get this sorted out. What bike tools do the mags love and use all the time?
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post

I have a 3 drawer Milwaukee packout, and am splitting it between MTB and moto. I travel a lot, so the idea is to consolidate more of my 'specialty' tools so I can set up and deal with most repairs that will come up. That said versatility is more important to me than the highest quality.

Currently suffering from information overload, and have two weeks to get this sorted out. What bike tools do the mags love and use all the time?
    Good lord why did I read this thread. I answered my own question, but need to order all new tools directly from Switzerland
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Good lord why did I read this thread. I answered my own question, but need to order all new tools directly from Switzerland
    Ha! This thread is absolutely ridiculous but awesome. I bought a few things from it I've regretted, and a few things I now can't live without.

Or Japan....

I was making a joke that didn’t work.
    I was also making a joke...
    Tough crowd in here…

Clearly you’ve never been contorted under a car with a bolt head backed up against the frame, and only able to rotate your ratchet 5 degrees while the bolt is loose but still too tight to get your fingers on it. Takes forever to back it out rotating a ratchet but like 30 seconds with the special rotating handle.
    Been there more times than I'd like. That rotating ratchet with it's bulky head is even more useless then. That is a prime case for owning a good set of high engagement ratcheting wrenches. It's also why I own sockets in 3 different depths.

Been there more times than I'd like. That rotating ratchet with it's bulky head is even more useless then. That is a prime case for owning a good set of high engagement ratcheting wrenches. It's also why I own sockets in 3 different depths.
    I don't understand the dismissal of the floppy ratchet. It wouldn't be my only ratchet, but seems useful enough. A floppy ratcheting box wrench would be useful too--I've done a couple car projects where those would have been greatly helpful (exh manifold bolts, to name one). Even with a high engagement ratchet, you get what, best case 3 degrees less between engagements? With the floppy you might be able to find space for several to many more degrees of rotation.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Ha! This thread is absolutely ridiculous but awesome. I bought a few things from it I've regretted, and a few things I now can't live without.
    What are the things you can't live without?

I already got the Wera hex keys, worth every penny. Just bought some Knipex pliars wrench with some Menards rebates, what should be next? Thinking I could upgrade my socket set, or keep adding specialty tools I don't have. (Torx socket set that goes up to T45?)

The issue is I want a set I can take riding, and then a garage set maybe? More reflection on the packout drawers is leading me to think it will be too big to keep inside the truck and too expensive and noticeable to keep in the bed

Tool Time

I have a 3 drawer Milwaukee packout, and am splitting it between MTB and moto. I travel a lot, so the idea is to consolidate more of my 'specialty' tools so I can set up and deal with most repairs that will come up.
    I don’t feel like you’re gonna get a ton of shit into three plastic drawers. I’d guess really focusing on what’s likely to get used would make more sense than treating yourself to some boutique Swiss wrenches. And accepting the reality that you might fit way more in there if it’s loose, but rattling around the back of your truck sounds like a nightmare if there isn’t some kind of divider system.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Or Japan....
    The Germans would like a word.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I don’t feel like you’re gonna get a ton of shit into three plastic drawers. I’d guess really focusing on what’s likely to get used would make more sense than treating yourself to some boutique Swiss wrenches. And accepting the reality that you might fit way more in there if it’s loose, but rattling around the back of your truck sounds like a nightmare if there isn’t some kind of divider system.

You can fit a fair bit into them, but as noted, packing for regular transport is a lot different than packing for garage use.

FWIW, most of my power tools are in Packout drawers, but my primary bicycle tools (the ones that come with me to the bike park) are in a Packout large toolbox. I wanted something with a dust-and-waterproof seal so I wouldn't worry about it being in the back of my truck with MTB(s) over the tailgate.

I do have foam in the bottom of the toolbox that I've cut into to organize stuff, as well as in some of the drawers (with others, I've found dividers or just attention to packing to be sufficient). I will note that some of the third party options for foam seem more appealing than the Milwaukee stuff, as black foam isn't the best for quickly finding stuff. I especially like--but don't have any of--the dual layer stuff that leaves empty tool spots a different color, making it easier to know you have everything packed up when you close the box.

When I have the other Packout stuff in the truck, it's usually under the tonneau cover, so I was happy to take the improved usability of the drawers over a stack of boxes, but that doesn't work so well with the bike

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    You can fit a fair bit into them, but as noted, packing for regular transport is a lot different than packing for garage use.

FWIW, most of my power tools are in Packout drawers, but my primary bicycle tools (the ones that come with me to the bike park) are in a Packout large toolbox. I wanted something with a dust-and-waterproof seal so I wouldn't worry about it being in the back of my truck with MTB(s) over the tailgate.

I do have foam in the bottom of the toolbox that I've cut into to organize stuff, as well as in some of the drawers (with others, I've found dividers or just attention to packing to be sufficient). I will note that some of the third party options for foam seem more appealing than the Milwaukee stuff, as black foam isn't the best for quickly finding stuff. I especially like--but don't have any of--the dual layer stuff that leaves empty tool spots a different color, making it easier to know you have everything packed up when you close the box.

When I have the other Packout stuff in the truck, it's usually under the tonneau cover, so I was happy to take the improved usability of the drawers over a stack of boxes, but that doesn't work so well with the bike

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app
    A long time ago I decided to not worry about on-the-go organizing, and I have a Pedro's metal suitcase type tool box that I use. I have a few dividers and a organizer shelf or two in there, but I leave a lot of them loose. I can fit more in, and space is sometimes a premium on long trips. And it's a compact, bullet proof tool box.

Pretty similar to this one. I'd recommend something like it. It's made it through the wars for me. Though the new ones are made out of plastic.

Name:	pedros tool case.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	268.5 KB 
ID:	427117

I’m loving my tool roll. Holds each tool, super compact.
    Only gripe is with Performance Bike out of business I don’t have a convenient source to buy cheap duplicates. I’m still going to the car to get occasional tools that live in the roll.

However many are in a shit ton.

Name:	Durometer.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	427145

Name:	price.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	427146
    So the world is filled with tubular entities. Food goes in one end and shit comes out the other. Sperm goes in and babies come out.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    A long time ago I decided to not worry about on-the-go organizing, and I have a Pedro's metal suitcase type tool box that I use. I have a few dividers and a organizer shelf or two in there, but I leave a lot of them loose. I can fit more in, and space is sometimes a premium on long trips. And it's a compact, bullet proof tool box.

Pretty similar to this one. I'd recommend something like it. It's made it through the wars for me. Though the new ones are made out of plastic.

Name:	pedros tool case.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	268.5 KB 
ID:	427117
    i wore out 5 or 6 of those very tool cases over the years, great when you are reaching for a tool 8 times a day out on the road, the early cases were wood veneer and naugahyde

around the house tools are scattered here and there but I still have a case loaded and ready to fix computers mostly out of habit
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know