Thread: Uzbekistan?

Uzbekistan?

So I bet a bunch of people have seen the video on Uzbekistan heli skiing... (links below)

Has anyone been there? Tell me about it an who you used. Is it worth it?

the company was not listed and I thought I found the web site, but it was last updated in 2017. The price of a week of heli was way way less than most other places, even if you are on a flying bathub.

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2021/...ing-adventure/
    https://www.whitehearts.de/projects/...-shan-gebirge/

A relative of mine has skied Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan and I believe visited Uzbekistan (but I don't think he skied). The problem is that it is currently under a pretty repressive regime and I believe it's very difficult to get a visa, and once there I think you need to be with a "chaperone". If you are looking to ski in central Asia I would take a look at 40 Tribes Backcountry (https://40tribesbackcountry.com/), they run a yurt trip in the Tien Shan mountains.

One of those links is about a trip to Kyrgyzstan not Uzbekistan. I would not go to Uzbekistan to ski for your first central asian ski trip.

I've skied Kyrgyzstan, it was amazing, we did the yurt thing, skied some fun local hills, etc. Didn't do the heli. We didn't use 40 Tribes, there are some other great outfitters too. I can recommend local guides too, if you want to ski with some kind muslim skiers who rip and who will really give you an authentic ski experience (but they guide from huts not helis). Kazakhstan looks fun too, we met some locals from there and the skiing looks great. If you have specific questions, lemme know so I don't drone on and on and on...

Dude. Please drone on.

That was one of the more fascinating corners of the globe that I got to visit during my mil time, the Tian Shan are huuuuuuuuuge. I'd somewhat like to go visit Ashgabat in Turkmenistan on my own.

I climbed khan tengri in kazakhstan, pretty fascinating mountain.

As far as heli skiing there, when i was heli skiing in Kamchatka, i met guides that died in Uzbekistan.

The avalanche conditions are pretty severe. Most of the time you'll ski stuff under 25 degrees.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

While I haven't leisured there, the mountains all over there are absolutely insane. If you plan on going, I'd suggest finding an outfit that will help you get all your legal ducks in a row because even being there on official business, the governmental remnants of the USSR were repping their typical bureaucratic selves and it was a total pain in the balls to gain entry. Funny thing though was that they were total dicks to us before entry, like they were supposed to put up some kind of tough guy front, BUT after landing, the government officials and people who greeted us were all cool as hell. Super friendly, which relieved all the tension their friends on the radio created. Straaaaaaaange place to get to, but once you're there, it could be amazing if you can pull it off.

I've been to Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Afghanistan, and Pakistan, and it's one of those regions that I desperately want to revisit on a personal trip someday. ESPECIALLY with skis. Once you see the mountains there, the Rockies are gonna look like little piss ant foothills. They're about as rad as it gets.

RIP Herman. You seemed like a decent enough guy who met a sad end.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I climbed khan tengri in kazakhstan, pretty fascinating mountain.

No doubt, pretty god damned burly too as well as a logistical nightmare. Nicely done. Did you write up your adventure?
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

My wife has a blog sacred mountains

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    I've been to Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Afghanistan, and Pakistan, and it's one of those regions that I desperately want to revisit on a personal trip someday.
    Likewise, for me it was also Kyrgyzstan and Aghanistan, but also Turkmenistan a couple times. Roommate did a deployment to Dushanbe Tajikistan, and I also had buds at K2 in Uzbekistan. Looking out the windows on the legs from Manas to Bagram were just wild man. Alexander the Great and his army crossed those. On foot. With elephants.

I was in Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, and Uzbekistan in ‘96 for several months. Skied a bit in the lower Tien Shan and climbed a bit in the Aksu valley. No heli, all super mellow. Not guided, just met up with locals. Avi risk management and trip planning were complicated. Was roommates with a local taxi driver. The people I met were amazing and the mountains were absolutely unbelievable. I’d go back in a heart beat.

Several friends have ventured there. There intel was most hollowed and faceted snowpack you will ever see, but I’m from the Canadian rockies so I rolled my eyes and I took there report with a grain of salt...

Here are some pics from when I was putting around the area ages ago. Looks tasty to me! Downside is it's not like there's much (if any) SAR in case you get buried, injured, or maimed. You'd be pretty well screwed. BUT in case all goes well, you'd have one heck of an adventure! Most of those mountains are prolly waaaaaaaay beyond my personal skill level and I'd probably be dying at those altitudes, but man I still wanna get back there to run around those Asian mountains and soak in the sights and culture. That place is just surreal on so many levels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0357.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	678.3 KB 
ID:	377809

Name:	DSCN0358.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	591.5 KB 
ID:	377810

Name:	DSCN0375.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	577.1 KB 
ID:	377811

Name:	DSCN0379.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	613.7 KB 
ID:	377812

Name:	DSCN0380.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	570.6 KB 
ID:	377813

Name:	DSCN0382.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	585.4 KB 
ID:	377814

Y'all were kinda down low there eh? Didn't know Fred did low-levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post
    Y'all were kinda down low there eh? Didn't know Fred did low-levels.
    I don't think it was so much that we were low-level, but rather that those mountains are that freaking tall. Some serious altitude. Now that you mention it though, can neither confirm or deny that our pilots may have been doing some sight-seeing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Several friends have ventured there. There intel was most hollowed and faceted snowpack you will ever see, but I’m from the Canadian rockies so I rolled my eyes and I took there report with a grain of salt...
    They were right.