Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

THE SUMMER COCKTAIL THREAD

Alright mags. Felt like it was time to start a dedicated thread for summer cocktails (mostly so I would stop cunting up the g&t thread). Plus I'm a little drunk and I have a lot of coffee to roast so I'm bored as shit.

THE ROOLZ:

- No bitchy shit (IE, "take 8oz of coke and add some rum! the coke hides the flavor of the rum!"). This thread is for booze-forward, get-drunk-on-the-porch cocktails.
    - No cunty shit (IE, "This cocktail only works if you have this super hipster form of bitters"). Provide substitutions where possible, keep recipes basic.
    - No basic shit (IE, "I love me a margarita, I like the Kroger brand sour mix"). If yer gonna post a basic drink, do it with some cool beta.

I'll start with a few of my favorites lately.

Tierra de Fuego

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210620_182512312.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	377515
    This drink is a smokey twist on a classic Negroni. Sweet, spicy, and boozy as fuck. I like it a lot. Drink it if you like: negronis, margaritas, spice.

- 1 oz campari
    - .5 oz mezcal
    - .5oz tequila
    - 1 oz Ancho Reyes Verde smoked poblano liqueur (this shit is amazing, you should pick up a bottle)
    6 dashes bitters (ideally smokey bitters - you could use Chocolate bitters or whatever else. I used a smoked cedar bitter from The Bitters Lab out of SLC. Sorry. That kinda breaks the no cunty shit rule)

Stir on ice, serve on ice (big ice if you have it)
    Elderflower Daisy

Name:	PXL_20210616_032811859.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	377516
    This one is super easy - a simple twist on a basic margarita. . If you don't already have some elderflower liqueur, fix that. Most bartenders will call it "Bartender's ketchup" because it is infinitely versatile, floral, and sweet. You can sub the mezcal for normal tequila but you lose the smokiness that makes this drink unique. Still, it works well. I prefer lemon over lime in this drink, but use whatever citrus you got.

Drink it if you like: margaritas, you dumbass. Or getting drunk. Or both.

2.5 oz mezcal (or whatever tequila you have on hand. I like Bozal Ensemble for mixing mezcal)
    1 to 1.5 oz elderflower liqueur (protip: the most popular brand of elderflower is St. Germain, but that shit is expensive. Fuck that. Buy the cheap bottle that is just labeled Elderflower. They're the same thing)
    1 oz lemon
    1/4 tsp saline (1:1 salt/water - protip adding a little bit of saline to your sour drinks (especially those with tequila/mezcal) makes the drink "pop")
    salt rim

Shake on ice, serve on ice with a salt rim.

Fun fact: the margarita is actually a derivative of an earlier popular cocktail - the daisy - they just took the name daisy and translated it into Spanish when the margarita became popular

Imperial Strawberry Daiquiri

Name:	PXL_20210531_041425679.jpg 
Views:	5769 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	377517This drink sits at the middle of the venn diagram between "fruity and gay" and "get silly drunk". It's simple, cheap, and easy to whip up a pitcher of. If you can, find a bottle of Jamaican white overproof rum. It's very (very) different than White Bacardi - Jamaican rum is traditionally made with a pot still, which gives it an incredibly rich flavor. It's cheap and delicious and I promise you'll never go back to basic Bacardi.

Drink if you like: fruit & booze. it's a great margarita substitute.

2 oz overproof Jamaican white rum (you can use other white rums but overproof Jamaican is amazing in this drink. Plus it's like 65% ABV vs the standard 40%.) - I recommend Wray & Nephew because it is cheap and widely available and delicious
    1 oz lime
    .75 oz strawberry simple syrup

Shake on ice, serve on ice

To make strawberry simple syrup, cut up a buncha (6 or so) strawberries and add 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water. throw it in your microwave until it boils (watch carefully) and forms a thick syrup

Learning to Die

Name:	PXL_20210605_042557682.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	819.3 KB 
ID:	377524

This is a variation on the classic Mai Tai (if you've never had one of those I can leave a recipe below - mai tais are fucking great. They're the old fashioneds of the south pacific. Boozy and rich and incredible - not bitchy at all. If you've never had real tiki cocktails, chances are they're nothing like whatever your "all inclusive Hawaiian resort" cocktail preconceptions are.

Drink if you like: sweet, herbal things. Especially if you like absinthe, this is an amazing drink. One of my all time favorites.

- 1.5 oz cachaca (can substitute white overproof rum or rhum agricole)
    - 1oz absinthe (yes, you read that right) - can sub for ouzo or similar
    - 1oz orgeat (orgeat is a nut syrup used in tiki bartending. unfortunately, there's no good substitute. it's delicious IMO and totally worth picking up a bottle)
    - 1oz orange juice

Shake on crushed ice, serve on new crushed ice. Put an umbrella in it if you're feeling fancy.

That's it folks. Post up good summer cocktails below. Can add more or help with "what should I make" requests as needed. Tell me what you want & I'll tell you how I would get fucked up.

Says no cunty shit, then references fancy bitters, poblano liqueur and a tiki-specific nut syrup...

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Says no cunty shit, then references fancy bitters, poblano liqueur and a tiki-specific nut syrup...
    yeah yeah fair

i can make it more basic, but that shit is dope. and you can sub bitters for whatever - just works best with a smokey bitters

poblano liqueur and orgeat are decent staples, and they're pretty important in otherwise simple drinks. no infusions or crazy recipe shit.

Is this the thread to say I had Moscow Mules with mattig & his cheerful spouse mrs mattig last night & mrs ::: :::? Or is that too pedestrian?

Company was excellent; weather just right for outside socializing…Summer is officially here

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Is this the thread to say I had Moscow Mules with mattig & his cheerful spouse mrs mattig last night & mrs ::: :::? Or is that too pedestrian?

Company was excellent; weather just right for outside socializing…Summer is officially here
    ya i reckon if you're drinking with other mags it's always valid

pics and stoke welcome

This thread is cunty. That said, I’m down with a double Paloma using Jimador reposado, Fever Tree grapefruit soda and a splash of lime juice. Not super booze forward (cunty term) but potent and will get you fucked up on the porch like a little bitch.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Current favorite is the following:
    1 part fever tree grapefruit
    1 part fever tree yuzu lime
    2 parts mezcal

Usually served on the rocks in an insulated tumbler, ideally poolside.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Just want to echo the Jamaican white rum comments. Also agree with the Wray recco. I'm biased as I absolutely love Jamaica.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

THE SUMMER COCKTAIL THREAD

A simple margarita; 3 parts blanco tequila, 2 parts grand mariner, 1 part lime juice

Name:	IMG_3277.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	377533

One of my favorites, a Martinez:

2 parts slow gin

1 part sweet vermouth

1/2 part luxardo marchino cherry liquor

Barrel age for 30 days

Orange bitters

Orange peel

Cherry

+1 on the Mezcal negroni, looks like your proportions are off though... Más mezcal para me..

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I, for one, welcome the cunty shit.

It’s ok to talk about and use the cunty stuff as long as you’re not cunty about it (which tgapp never is).

No idea what it is called. I threw it together hung over and figured it would go well with good vodka.

1/3 glass Red Ruby Grapefruit
    1/3 glass lime seltzer water
    1/3 glass vodka- We used some excellent shit from Iceland that we had- no idea what it was called.
    On ice

Let me know what it is called. I call it Danger, cause you can't taste the vodka at all, even with a heftier dose on the booze.

I’ve been steadily working through Jamie Boudreau’s book since the start of the pandemic. For dad day today I made myself Remember the Alamo. Fucking fantastic. And as easy as mixing a Manhattan.

1.5oz reposado tequila

1oz Punt e Mes

1/4 oz Heering cherry liqueur

2 dash Angostura

Stir all and strain into an absinthe rinsed glass. Griottines brandy cherry garnish.

Now for the cunty part: I pre-rinsed some Nick and Nora glasses with absinthe last night and had them in the freezer. Love that absinthe frosted chilled glass. On my last one I ran out of Punt e Mes and substituted Antica, and it wasn’t the same. Good, but not great. Need the bight from the Punt e Mes.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    No idea what it is called. I threw it together hung over and figured it would go well with good vodka.

1/3 glass vodka- We used some excellent shit from Iceland that we had- no idea what it was called.
    On ice

Let me know what it is called. I call it Danger, cause you can't taste the vodka at all, even with a heftier dose on the booze.
    This is what I was drinking on Friday at end of year party...You are correct.....can’t even taste alcohol....even as my pours got greater and greater....Heck of hangover all weekend though.

By the end of night...it was 4/4 vodka....and just a splash of seltzer/grapefruit. Should call it “the Undertaker”.....I was done. Wife drove us home, and I actually fell out of my truck in my driveway....lol.

Great way to end my 26th year.....

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post

On ice

Reyka. Good shit.

i was in a cocktail mood and picked up some st germain over the weekend. something different:

¾Oz ST-GERMAIN
    2oz Whisky
    2dash Bitters

i’m ready for my interview at milk and honey now.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post

One of my favorites, a Martinez:

2 parts slow gin

1 part sweet vermouth

1/2 part luxardo marchino cherry liquor

Barrel age for 30 days

Orange bitters

Orange peel

Cherry

yeah i do this a lot but i cut corners by using an already barrel-aged gin (i'm a big fan of Old Tomcat). what barrel do you age this in?

this is one of my favorite cocktails of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    This thread is cunty.
    now that you're here, yes

Quote Originally Posted by Slow 'n Steady View Post
    I’ve been steadily working through Jamie Boudreau’s book since the start of the pandemic. For dad day today I made myself Remember the Alamo. Fucking fantastic. And as easy as mixing a Manhattan.

1.5oz reposado tequila

1oz Punt e Mes

1/4 oz Heering cherry liqueur

2 dash Angostura

Stir all and strain into an absinthe rinsed glass. Griottines brandy cherry garnish.

Now for the cunty part: I pre-rinsed some Nick and Nora glasses with absinthe last night and had them in the freezer. Love that absinthe frosted chilled glass. On my last one I ran out of Punt e Mes and substituted Antica, and it wasn’t the same. Good, but not great. Need the bight from the Punt e Mes.
    this sounds great - i'm out of punt e mes, but i was thinking i could maybe sub 1/2 byrrh and 1/2 a good amaro? that'll get me most of the way to punt e mes i reckon. we're not being cunty here, after all.

oh and the heering - i'll sub for a fantastic local cherry liqueur (wasatch cherry blossom)

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    i was in a cocktail mood and picked up some st germain over the weekend. something different:

¾Oz ST-GERMAIN
    2oz Whisky
    2dash Bitters

i’m ready for my interview at milk and honey now.
    i think that's technically an elderflower old fashioned.

and st germain man, it's the shit. goes well with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac
    It’s ok to talk about and use the cunty stuff as long as you’re not cunty about it (which tgapp never is).

ha, thanks man. bennymac gets it. just don't be a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    i'm out of punt e mes, but i was thinking i could maybe sub 1/2 byrrh and 1/2 a good amaro? that'll get me most of the way to punt e mes i reckon. we're not being cunty here, after all.

oh and the heering - i'll sub for a fantastic local cherry liqueur (wasatch cherry blossom)
    I’d think Ramazzotti might be good. But honestly, with that quinine bite in Byrrh I’d try it as a 1:1 substitution first. I almost did dubonnet rouge instead of Antica, and that prob would have been better.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Reyka. Good shit.
    That's the stuff. I will have to try it with some cheaper stuff. No hangover though, so maybe I stick with the Iceberg Juice.

Damn I really want to try a Tierra de Fuego.

Middle Fork of the Salmon River Ranger Margarita.

You make this by the batch and I managed to get a lot of Forest Supervisors and other hi level muckey-mucks shitfaced on this concoction.

1 12 oz can frozen lime aid
    1 12 oz dose of water
    1 12 oz dose of Tequila, we used the cheap stuff, its a river trip
    1 12 oz can of beer, light or regular, its just there to give it some fizz.

Mix in a 48 oz container, serve over ice. Salt or no salt, dealers choice.

We got some pretty stuffy and uptight USFS GS-12 & 13s to loosen up and let their proverbial hair down. More than 3-4 and It can lead to a fierce hangover, that was the funnest part, watching them try and deal the next day.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Boring but worked.....lemon vodka with Arnold Palmer iced tea/lemonade combo.

4 ounces Hornitos Plata , 1 ounce Triple Sec, half a can of mango La Croix, dash of Lime Cordial.

Erases a rough day quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Damn I really want to try a Tierra de Fuego.
    I fucked up, you should use the normal ancho Reyes and not the Verde for that drink. smoked ancho vs fresh poblano is the difference.

for the Verde, try this:

Pistols at Dawn

2oz bourbon or rye
    1oz ancho Reyes Verde
    3/4 oz lime
    3/4 oz ginger syrup
    Cab Sauvignon for float

To make ginger syrup: combine 1 frozen ginger cube (we get em from Trader Joe's, you can just grate fresh ginger), 1tbs sugar, 1 TBS water. Microwave until a syrup is formed. Shake all but the wine on ice. Serve on a rock and pour the wine on top.

--

Bunion the river marg sounds great. We used to always try to make river gin by mixing vodka, juniper berries, orange peels, and whatever other spices we had around. It worked in the sense that it got us drunk, but it never really tasted like gin.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk