Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 48 of 48
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Imaginationland
    Posts
    4,061
    I refuse to have a thermostat that the government can control

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    7,613
    https://youtu.be/2AzAFqrxfeY




    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    9,386
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Good to see the unicorn proclaiming his self important superiority in yet another thread.
    Why, because I donít want smart appliances or because I insulted your little buddy?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    59715
    Posts
    3,454
    Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    I refuse to have a thermostat that the government can control
    Are you off grid? Because unless you're off grid (or can run off grid), the gubbermint can shut you down, smart or dumb thermostat.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Imaginationland
    Posts
    4,061
    Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Are you off grid? Because unless you're off grid (or can run off grid), the gubbermint can shut you down, smart or dumb thermostat.
    But until then, my house is a muthafuckin igloo. I pay for it. Hydroelectric power is a beautiful thing here.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Imaginationland
    Posts
    4,061
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Why, because I donít want smart appliances or because I insulted your little buddy?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Who pissed in your wheat bran and Metamucil this morning, guy?

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    9,386
    Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Who pissed in your wheat bran and Metamucil this morning, guy?
    I had eggs hash browns and gravy boy, Iím just my usual cheery self


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    8,354
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Why, because I donít want smart appliances or because I insulted your little buddy?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Are you getting early onset Alzheimers?...
    Seems you wish you had a buddy irl....

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    9,386
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Are you getting early onset Alzheimers?...
    Seems you wish you had a buddy irl....
    Youíre funny, misguided but funny. I donít rely on TGR for my social life.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,321
    Seems like everybody needs their chips recalibrated.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    7,613
    ďAlexa, bring me my maulĒ


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    So. VT
    Posts
    2,477
    Is this a smart device issue, or a dumb consumer issue?

    Seems everyone bought into this service, got a rebate, took a discount etc.

    Now they bitch when the power company actually needs to curtail the loads.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    voting in seattle
    Posts
    4,589
    Pretty much all of you are producing data you don’t know you produce and are reliant on plenty of other devices which can be mined and controlled from outside organizations and governments without you knowing.

    Having a programmable and remotely controlled thermostat is pretty low intrusion and offers some pretty decent quality of life improvements and potential for savings.

    At this point y’all might as well take advantage of the data being collected on you, because it’s out there and being collected.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    17,579
    Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    But until then, my house is a muthafuckin igloo. I pay for it. Hydroelectric power is a beautiful thing here.
    Hmmm, until the creek runs dry and reservoir dries up. My kid in LV claims that the Hoover Dam may drop below the dynamo intakes this summer.
    https://pacinst.org/publication/impa...n-2015-update/

    Allowing the power company to turn up your heat in the summer in exchange for reduced rates seems like a good idea. Can be done by using a smart thermostat or with a smart meter that lets the power company charge you a lower rate if you manually reduce usage during high demand. With the smart meter they can give you a lower rate all the time. With the smart meter you only get the lower rate during peak demand and only if you do turn the tstat up.
    Reducing peak demand doesn't just prevent brownouts and blackouts but it prevents the utility from having to build or acquire capacity for the peaks.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    24,214
    You will just buy power from up narth

    then refuse to pay the bill in the fall

    when you negotiate a lower price
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    7,613
    My microwave just unfriended me.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Cackalacky
    Posts
    3,018
    everybody complaining bout the smarts until they realize they can watch pornhub on their smart fridge.
    you don't want no smoke.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Warm parts of the St. Vrain
    Posts
    1,982

    Always run when you hear the term "smart".

    I laffed at those last two. I think SFB took a pic a couple of years ago where someone had done that pornhub trick to a display model at the Home Depot lol.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Among Greatness All Around
    Posts
    5,783
    Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    I laffed at those last two. I think SFB took a pic a couple of years ago where someone had done that pornhub trick to a display model at the Home Depot lol.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yes, until the stores started doing the content blocking on the IoT they could be used to go to web sites you may not want to be on display in a store...

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Hmmm, until the creek runs dry and reservoir dries up. My kid in LV claims that the Hoover Dam may drop below the dynamo intakes this summer.
    https://pacinst.org/publication/impa...n-2015-update/

    Allowing the power company to turn up your heat in the summer in exchange for reduced rates seems like a good idea. Can be done by using a smart thermostat or with a smart meter that lets the power company charge you a lower rate if you manually reduce usage during high demand. With the smart meter they can give you a lower rate all the time. With the smart meter you only get the lower rate during peak demand and only if you do turn the tstat up.
    Reducing peak demand doesn't just prevent brownouts and blackouts but it prevents the utility from having to build or acquire capacity for the peaks.
    Iím assuming Nw skier lives in the pnw which is powered off the Columbia which drains one of the wettest regions in the country. We had bigger issues than ac if that runs dry.

    I am fucking lazy and couldnít be bothered to read the article. If itís about nest thermostats auto adjusting itís a big nothing story. I had it on mine here in Oregon. Itís an opt in program and they give you $25 a year for the ability to do it. I got sick of power company (in my case PGE) adjusting mine and had to call them to have the option removed.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    SEA>DEN>Spokanistan
    Posts
    1,914

    Always run when you hear the term "smart".

    Just bought a Roomba robot on prime day! Itís the fucking tits, maps my house. I can program high traffic areas and under tables to be run independently based on when I notice dirt/food.

    Allows me to spend more time with my wife and daughter and not worry about vacuuming. Some may call it laziness but Iíd rather spend my time with those who matter most vs pushing a damn Hoover.

    Guess someone knows that we place the throw pillows on the right side of the bed at night. I hope they gets rich off that data point.

    Walking in on fresh carpet lines is
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5627.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	377867


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,849
    That Roomba needs to work on its line game... The lines are way too crooked...

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    7,613
    You wanna get frustrated as hell? Watch a Roomba.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •