Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Always run when you hear the term "smart".

The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

Texassicans and "smart". That's a hanging curve ball right there.

IOT devices are a huge security risk (typically an open access point to your home network) and a very intrusive point of data collection. Do you really want a company to gather data on your heat preferences and when you leave to go to work?

Are we really at a point where we can't walk to the wall and press a button, or flip a switch?

Fuck smart/IOT anything... NO THANK YOU

I think the trade off is totally worth it, plus Iím not sharing anything with the government that they donít already know from my cellular device.

Love my google ecosystem, has my cameras, speakers, locks, smoke detectors and thermostat on it. I can check the house when Iím away. Program guest codes for the dog sitter and baby sitter. Knows how to cool the house via the fan on its own and uses AC sparingly if I want it that way. When baby cries I get a notificationÖ Idk pretty rad.

No need to fear tech, embrace it ya Luddite.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Does your google tech have inserts though?

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Does your google tech have inserts though?
    Iím taking that as an insult given my apparent disdain for them!

The real problem with all these IOT devices is when they get bricked. When the company that made them goes bust or gets taken over by another company that decides it can't be bothered to support them any more and you suddenly find that your smart device is a doorstop.

Of course it may seem that some tech companies are too big to go bust or get taken over. Ever heard of a big company divesting bits of itself? Or a massive tech company deciding it simply won't support old products any more?

My clothes washer, dryer, and oven/range has WiFi capability. Canít figure out whyÖ.

My garage door open has WiFi as well. Saved my skin a few times. I have it programmed to push a notification to my phone if itís open for more than 20minÖ

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    I think the trade off is totally worth it, plus Iím not sharing anything with the government that they donít already know from my cellular device.

Love my google ecosystem, has my cameras, speakers, locks, smoke detectors and thermostat on it. I can check the house when Iím away. Program guest codes for the dog sitter and baby sitter. Knows how to cool the house via the fan on its own and uses AC sparingly if I want it that way. When baby cries I get a notificationÖ Idk pretty rad.

No need to fear tech, embrace it ya Luddite.

Okay Neo

Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    Of course it may seem that some tech companies are too big to go bust or get taken over. Ever heard of a big company divesting bits of itself? Or a massive tech company deciding it simply won't support old products any more?
    I have many examples of large companies divesting or selling off just some of their line- in the tech business even. Cisco has done this - purchased Linksys, then later sold part of the line that was basically consumer oriented to Belkin. Fluke had a cable testing line up that is now no longer a Fluke product but owned by another company called Net Scout. Others even outside of the tech industry would be Sears selling Craftsman Tools off to one of the major Tool Manufacturers, or companies that sell and spin off a fast growing division to become a new stand alone company.

One thing about tech is it will no matter how big of a company behind it, at some point the product will become obsolete and no longer supported. Many feel that lifetime warranty means their lifetime, but it usually these days means product lifetime which could be less than a year as new products or a revised newer model comes out.

Thinking more about this scenario. It really shines a spotlight on an issue that isnít only American but likely more prevalent here in the states.

If the power grid was unstable and the smart devices were able to actually limit power usage which then prevented the grid from going down; isnít that a win?

Sure your house got into the 80ís but thatís better than having all your power cut and seeing your thermostat sore to 90-100ís and all the food in your fridge soil.

Seems pretty damn smart to me.

NOBUDY CAN MAKE ME BE SMART!!!! FREEEEEEDUMZ!!

Thinking more about this scenario. It really shines a spotlight on an issue that isnít only American but likely more prevalent here in the states.

If the power grid was unstable and the smart devices were able to actually limit power usage which then prevented the grid from going down; isnít that a win?

Sure your house got into the 80ís but thatís better than having all your power cut and seeing your thermostat sore to 90-100ís and all the food in your fridge soil.

Seems pretty damn smart to me.

Soar, to increase rapidly. You donít seem very smart to me.

Maybe thatís why you need smart appliances

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Soar, to increase rapidly. You donít seem very smart to me.

Maybe thatís why you need smart appliances

Thanks Webster, rollin on 3 hours of sleep with a newborn. What climbed up your arse?

Thanks Webster, rollin on 3 hours of sleep with a newborn. What climbed up your arse?

Excuses, excuses.

But seriously, I donít think ďsmartĒ network connected appliances are a good idea and a tool for the lazy. My 20+ yo programmable thermostat works great and stays where I set it.

Nice to see that any smart devices are a massive security hole and that TX still sucks. Wouldn't a regular person go to jail for doing something like that?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Thinking more about this scenario. It really shines a spotlight on an issue that isn’t only American but likely more prevalent here in the states.

If the power grid was unstable and the smart devices were able to actually limit power usage which then prevented the grid from going down; isn’t that a win?
    The problem is that the "smart" devices are almost certainly going to be used to accomplish EXACTLY the opposite goal.

See:
    https://arstechnica.com/information-...-to-its-knees/

Smart appliances are very poorly secured, in general. And that fridge? You think it's going to get security updates for it's full 20+ year potential lifespan? Sadly not. I'd honestly be surprised if any of those smart IoT devices get security updates for 5+ years. Your washer, dryer, refrigerator, thermostat, etc - they will get limited support when they're new and shiny and the vendor is still trying to actively sell them. But 5m after it gets replaced by a new shiner product? You can expect updates and security patches to evaporate, nearly instantly.

So, "smart" devices can do some very cool stuff. But they are super unlikely to be secure - especially if they're from low cost manufacturers - you know, like that cheap security camera from China.

And those devices will become really low hanging fruit.

My approach, though super unlikely to be adopted by anyone other than very technical users, is to
    1) Avoid cloud based products - my smart devices are going to talk to my servers only.
    2) Limit inbound and outbound access. They won't have access to the internet, except in very limited and controlled ways. They won't be reach-able from the general internet at all.
    3) Segregate them from your "regular" network, with your computers and the like, into their own very restricted network.

And yeah, that will cost more in time and money, and skill. Probably substantially more.
    But it can mostly avoid the vendor bricking your device because there's no more money for them to make off of it any more. And lots of the other problems "smart" devices bring.

But, as I noted, it's really NOT easy, and it will cost more, and take a lot more time to setup. So most of the world will simply never do it. They'll go the easy route and just plug it in and take whatever defaults are offered up. They'll never update the firmware, etc. (And I understand how people make that choice - it's just not one I'm going to make myself.)

We have more and more people using more and more energy causing more and more issues to the distribution system. Rolling outages and failures in TX, CA and elsewhere. We canít let our homes get up to 78 degrees now and then for the common good?

Good god we are a selfish nation.

I don't want an appliance that is smarter than me

so all my appliances in the house and rental unit are at least 15 yrs old

I can fix them all myself with youtoobes & easily available parts
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    We have more and more people using more and more energy causing more and more issues to the distribution system. Rolling outages and failures in TX, CA and elsewhere. We canít let our homes get up to 78 degrees now and then for the common good?

Good god we are a selfish nation.

Itís hot where I live and the AC kicks on at 78 heat at 67. Talking with others I get the feeling that thatís not normal. Iíve heard others set the heat to 75+ and AC to 70 or lower. Seems wacky to me.

Iíd rather pay someone named Alexa to come in my house and know how we live than have a smart device acting on the whims of a huge corporate entity listening to my every move.
    Dumb t-stat for the win, imho

These same dolts that use the smart lock on their front door are probably also posting photos on IG and Facebook from their vacations.

People who have cameras in their homes are fucking weirdos (not talking about baby monitors)

I do however use a non Alexa compatible Ecobee thermostat and love it. I wake up sweating in bed I crank up the AC from bed.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    These same dolts that use the smart lock on their front door are probably also posting photos on IG and Facebook from their vacations.

People who have cameras in their homes are fucking weirdos (not talking about baby monitors)

I do however use a non Alexa compatible Ecobee thermostat and love it. I wake up sweating in bed I crank up the AC from bed.

I guess Iím a dolt and a weirdo. I paid to have the house deep cleaned the other week. I was at work during the clean. I set a temporary combo to the front door lockset for the 4 hours they were at the house. Watched them come and go on the Ring doorbell cam. Then paid them via Venmo when they left. Technology is awesome.

AdditionallyÖ a ring camera on the doorstep wonít prevent a porch pirate but will allow you to get restitution easily with the shipper/venderÖ

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I used to own a ďSmart homeĒ installation company. People always said, ďI bet you have all this cool stuff in your home!Ē My answer was, no way. I couldnít even imagine having my phone notify me every time my kids cried. How theyíre alive to this day is a mystery without all this tech.
    Good to see the unicorn proclaiming his self important superiority in yet another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I guess Iím a dolt and a weirdo. I paid to have the house deep cleaned the other week. I was at work during the clean. I set a temporary combo to the front door lockset for the 4 hours they were at the house. Watched them come and go on the Ring doorbell cam. Then paid them via Venmo when they left. Technology is awesome.

AdditionallyÖ a ring camera on the doorstep wonít prevent a porch pirate but will allow you to get restitution easily with the shipper/venderÖ

I guess admitting it is the first step.