Ski mountaineering - Olympics 2026?

I'm all for it and will watch. I wonder if the general American public will have a hard time differentiating between skimo and nordic skiing events... Just another event with skinny skis, tight suits, aero tucked descents. I bet it gets more viewers across the pond.

It will be interesting to see what happens to skimo gear as more money and attention pours in to development.

I'm a little surprised at the addition of skimo before something more akin to the FWT, which is probably much more exciting to watch for the casual observer.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Most exciting moment will be transitions?

I wondered about that too re FWT

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Shit, I skimmed but didn’t se this. Lo siento. Other thread nuked.

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    I wonder if the general American public will have a hard time differentiating between skimo and nordic skiing events...
    The general American public know there are nordic skiing events in the Olympics?

sure, it's that stuff that interrupts the figure skating and the heart warming tales of struggling amateur olympic hopefuls....

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    sure, it's that stuff that interrupts the figure skating and the heart warming tales of struggling amateur olympic hopefuls....
    Nordic skiing is the completely unrelated, yet always covered sideshow to the skinnny dudes on big flappy skis getting fucking SENDY on the big jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    The general American public know there are nordic skiing events in the Olympics?
    maybe if the competitors all had to carry a basketball

the olympics is a TV show and I think the biggest advertisers and consumers of is Yurp
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

If they can find a way to contrive some airy bootpack at whatever venue they use and get some good drone shots, it will make for some great TV or highlights. The top guys are absolutely pushing their skis to the limits on the way down and are on the verge of control. Is that more or less entertaining than watching the mastery of skiers in the alpine events?

FWT style Olympic event wherever they have the Olympics (aka Pyeongchang, Beijing, etc)? Better call up the Baldface guys to build some wooden platforms and aim some snow guns at them.

Would love to see mountain running in the summer. I know track and field is the ultimate athletic test, but it would be cool to see who the best athletes are going uphill, downhill, and over some varied terrain.

There are too many sports in the Olympics.

There should be one ski event.

Mass start - everyone skis to the top of the mountain.
    Anyone who bags a forest creature with their biathlon rifle on the way up gets a time bonus.
    Transition - DH to a SG to a Slalom to a mogul course, to a free style course to a ski jump which has to be hit switch.

All the points from the free style and mogul scores are thrown out because judging in sport is stupid.

First one down wins.

I've never watched skimo. Is it a mass start, first one to cross the finish line wins? Depends on size of field? The format will make a big difference in popularity.

you just need a huge motor, an ultra runner come up to a local event and beat the next fastest guy by at least 6hrs but he couldn't ski worth a shit
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post

Anyone who bags a forest creature with their biathlon rifle on the way up gets a time bonus.
    Transition - DH to a SG to a Slalom to a mogul course, to a free style course to a ski jump which has to be hit switch.

All the points from the free style and mogul scores are thrown out because judging in sport is stupid.

First one down wins.
    Ok, this I would actually watch.

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post

First one down wins.
    How about we shoot MAGA hatters? That I could get on board with.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    How about we shoot MAGA hatters? That I could get on board with.
    Even better.

I'm not sure how I feel about skimo as an Olympic sport. Contrary to popular belief, good individual courses are really quite technical. At the world cup level, 90+ min races are won by seconds, and usually on the descents. Makes for really good racing, but I'm worried that aspect will get lost in a TV friendly Olympic format in which case it does turn into a biggest engine competition. I guess we'll see. XC MTB seems to have survived Olympic inclusion and it's a decent analogue for skimo.