Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Yes, this was a quick hits trip. If we do another it will be grand canyon and general AZ stuff with less driving and more time around a smaller area.

As far as Zion goes it seems like you can't get to most of the trailheads unless you take the park shuttle, ride a bike, or get there super early?

So on the free park shuttle we went through a gate that was marked "shuttles only beyond this point" but that gate must be open if you are in the park before 6am because there were definitely regular passenger cars at many/most of the trailheads beyond the gate.....as well as many empty parking spaces.....yet they were not allowing cars up past the gate anymore.
    Took a private shuttle to hike narrows all the way down, west rim all the way down, etc.
    The free shuttle route is the main crowded stuff like angel landing or narrows out and back from bottom.
    I just spent some time there and it took some figuring out. Pm me if you want details for a future trip.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    HBM - if you can make the time, holla when you're near Jackson and maybe we can connect for a beer or a toke and some quality convo. I gots da goods.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I made a big Parks roadtrip a few years back with my Dad and a couple that traveled a ton with my parents before my Mom passed.
    They were amazed at what the American West has to offer. They'd been all over the world and thought it was an all time trip.
    JH-YS-Cody-Devil's Tower-Rushmore/Crazy Horse-Little Big Horn-Beartooth-YS-JH; took a day off and farted around town.
    Then JH-Colorado Nat'l. Monument- Gateway/Dolores River canyon-Million dollar Hwy-Mesa Verde-Hovenweep-Monument Valley-Moenkopi-Grand Canyon-Bryce-Escalante-Cap Reef-Moab-Arches-Canyonlands- then 191 past Flaming Gorge back to JH.
    Iirc, it totaled near 4500 miles over about 10 days.
    Fucking amazeballs. Utah could be an entire National Park.
    Pretty sure my driving scared them.
    Dang, 450 miles a day, maybe 6-7 hours in a car daily? Or was your scary driving making it a 5-6 hour day?

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Dang, 450 miles a day, maybe 6-7 hours in a car daily? Or was your scary driving making it a 5-6 hour day?
    I'm guessing more like 450 miles in 8-10 hours. Tons of 2 lane with poky drivers, plenty of passing involved. Not unsafe, but maybe uncommon for the 3 septuagenarians from the coastalz.
    And stopping to eyeball all of that stuff adds up too.
    I was impressed that they kept charging after long days of western scenery playing past them. They ate it up.
    And napped.
    It was great to show my Dad so many of the amazing places in the West.
    He loved the Medicine hat rock, down 4 corners way.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Yes, this was a quick hits trip. If we do another it will be grand canyon and general AZ stuff with less driving and more time around a smaller area.

As far as Zion goes it seems like you can't get to most of the trailheads unless you take the park shuttle, ride a bike, or get there super early?

So on the free park shuttle we went through a gate that was marked "shuttles only beyond this point" but that gate must be open if you are in the park before 6am because there were definitely regular passenger cars at many/most of the trailheads beyond the gate.....as well as many empty parking spaces.....yet they were not allowing cars up past the gate anymore.
    The hoards generally flock to the most poplar trails but there's so many off the radar hikes/scrambles in Zion that hardly see any traffic in comparison.

I did the Lost Peak hike/scramble last October and we didn't see anyone except for the little slot canyon we started in along the 9. Lost Peak has a very cool summit but there's a bit of hands and feet on a slab over some big exposure.

There's so much cool public land to explore in the Four Corners region you don't have to go where everyone else goes. It may take a little bit of creativity but you can still experience some true solitude. I've got my favorite places but I'm done talking about most of them on the internet.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    <snip> I've got my favorite places but I'm done talking about most of them on the internet.
    So much this.

Just a reminder that Tyler Durden is not a person, but the imaginary creation of a deranged mind.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Just a reminder that Tyler Durden is not a person, but the imaginary creation of a deranged mind.
    Goddammit, old man.

Looks like the the shitshow continues:
    Indiana man sentenced after altercation with Yellowstone National Park security officers

An Indiana man has pleaded guilty to federal charges related to a drunken kayaking trip in Yellowstone National Park, where authorities said he threatened park security officers.

https://www.kbzk.com/news/crime-courts/indiana-man-sentenced-after-altercation-with-yellowstone-national-park-security-officers

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    Looks like the the shitshow continues:
    Indiana man sentenced after altercation with Yellowstone National Park security officers

An Indiana man has pleaded guilty to federal charges related to a drunken kayaking trip in Yellowstone National Park, where authorities said he threatened park security officers.

https://www.kbzk.com/news/crime-courts/indiana-man-sentenced-after-altercation-with-yellowstone-national-park-security-officers
    Way back before the legalization wave began, I had to remind a few friends to be extra cool with their illegal substances in NPs, because, in there, it's now a federal crime.

I've got my favorite places but I'm done talking about most of them on the internet.
    You don't have to because this guy already has put nearly everything on the net:

https://www.americansouthwest.net/

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    You don't have to because this guy already has put nearly everything on the net:

https://www.americansouthwest.net/
    Whole lot of secret places only known a select few.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Way back before the legalization wave began, I had to remind a few friends to be extra cool with their illegal substances in NPs, because, in there, it's now a federal crime.
    AFAIK, it's always been a federal issue.
    A coworker out at Moose many years ago drove from SLC back to his apartment there and in the last 5 miles, just inside the Park, he got a massive DWI. Had to go all the way to Cheyenne just for court, about 7 hours away, 55mph back then.
    Luckily the NPS has fewer LEO's in the parks now due to budget constraints.

Just back from Yellowstone NP, seemed less crowded than last year. If you have a reserved campsite, park it and do day trips. Full disclosure we avoid the thermal areas like the plague. Earlier the better for wildlife, and slow down! saw a Buffalo get killed and car totaled.
    Last edited by new yabyum; 07-05-2021 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    AFAIK, it's always been a federal issue.
    A coworker out at Moose many years ago drove from SLC back to his apartment there and in the last 5 miles, just inside the Park, he got a massive DWI. Had to go all the way to Cheyenne just for court, about 7 hours away, 55mph back then.
    Luckily the NPS has fewer LEO's in the parks now due to budget constraints.
    whenever I ski/drive with someone new in gtnp I always make sure the ganj is stashed properly, and make sure they appreciate the very real difference between being pulled over and caught holding by a jackson cop in town vs a Fed in the park a few miles away. Too easy and potentially costly to be ignorantly complacent.

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    whenever I ski/drive with someone new in gtnp I always make sure the ganj is stashed properly, and make sure they appreciate the very real difference between being pulled over and caught holding by a jackson cop in town vs a Fed in the park a few miles away. Too easy and potentially costly to be ignorantly complacent.

Don't get caught in eastern Idaho, they really like to hand it to the marijuana crowd over there.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Don't get caught in eastern Idaho, they really like to hand it to the marijuana crowd over there.
    Combining this with the Park. Sometimes they'll have a' Safety' stop for vehicles in the YSNP. It is ostensibly for commercial vehicles but they talk to everyone and check your shit out.
    If you were just smoking in the car and roll up on one of these, well now they smell it and have reasonable cause to investigate; when they were really only authorized to check for unsafe delivery trucks, i.e. brakes/mirrors etc.

I tend to burn outside anymore if possible. But I find driving and not attracting any undue attention to be fairly simple.

After one particularly rowdy drive to a cooke city cornfest that ended with a park cop pulling us over with an empty case of pbrs and multiple(ok maybe a bakers dozen) pipes, I've switched to only edibles in the park. Federal open container was only 75 bucks though and no DUI after stupid human tricks. Made partying at the miners way better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Can anyone find the aerial photo of the West entrance backup from this last weekend?
    I looked everywhere, I don’t remember where I saw it. Probably FB.
    It was really bad.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

couldn't find it, but here's someone driving the other way. Zillion cars and a few jalopies
    https://www.facebook.com/jesslee45/v...02652436816016
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

That sucks.
    I bet that line is 5 miles long outside of town, so add another mile to the gate. The cars at the end are easily 2 hours out from the gate.
    As cool as the Park is, that wait will dampen any enjoyable day pretty much entirely.

I feel that the wait at the gate is easily the achilles heel of the NPS. It's almost always a newbie at the gate. Instead of trying to get the line moving, they'll chat with every single driver who needs some random info.
    I drove into GTNP on monday at 10:30, only because there were 5 cars at the 2 gates. I pick the one with 2 in it as the local, towing his boat rolls up and shows his pass out the window. He then proceeds to talk for a few more minutes. Should have taken 10 seconds, turns into 5 minutes. The other lane has filled in now too so now shifting over. Dude in front of me has to buy a pass and still only takes about 4 minutes.
    Fucking send them!
    Already this summer I've gone to hand them my passes while on the moto and instead of a quick glance, they just look at me and ask me questions, wtf.
    I say are you gonna look at these or not? No, you're fine.
    And FFS, make a lane for people with passes and prior paid entries, that's probably half the people in that line.

I've said it before, you have a question about anything in the park, ask at one of the gas stations. The girls/guys there have all the best intel.

The few times I've been headed into a park on a busy day, they've been pretty good about glancing at an annual pass and waving me on. The best one was after the eclipse, entering Yellowstone from the south--the attendant motioned like she was holding up a card and just waved through anyone who responded with their pass.

I did find it more annoying on the moto when I'm trying not to hold people up getting my wallet put away and gloves back on, and they want to chat or hand me a bunch of papers I don't need.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

bike path entrance at Moose is a godsend. Riding from town is great. But at the least, if you can make it work, parking at the old visitor center/watercraft check and getting your park shit done with a bicycle is nice. It’s not just the entrance station, if your not there early all of the parking areas in the park are jammed.

It’s also nice coming back to town on the bike path and passing the cars backed up to the Fish Hatchery.

I have never been asked to present a pass while on a bicycle, and I have cruised through hundreds of times.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    couldn't find it, but here's someone driving the other way. Zillion cars and a few jalopies
    https://www.facebook.com/jesslee45/v...02652436816016
    Jesus fuck, that looks miserable. Were those people in line for a couple of days? It looks like a video of a hurricane evacuation route.

And I'm pretty sure that red Tesla ran out of battery power before they made it to the entrance.