Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

How much of a shitshow will Yellowstone be this summer? Alternatives?

Cloudveil dome is a peak in the Tetons so the name gets used fairly regularly around here.
    I don’t think there’s a connection between the old skiwear co and the hotel
    skid luxury

I was hoping to go to Yellowstone this summer, but couldn't pull it together.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    Cloudveil dome is a peak in the Tetons so the name gets used fairly regularly around here.
    I don’t think there’s a connection between the old skiwear co and the hotel
    There is not.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Got a camp site for the next 3 nights. Be back before to 4th shit show. We stay away from the thermal features and look for critters. Will report back.

We saw some really burly looking Ford f550 passenger bus things on the park. Big lift, big tires. Anybody know the deal on these? In Gardner there was a lot full of them. Can’t seem to find on line info except for the mail truck

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    We saw some really burly looking Ford f550 passenger bus things on the park. Big lift, big tires. Anybody know the deal on these? In Gardner there was a lot full of them. Can’t seem to find on line info except for the mail truck

Snow coaches for winter travel

Thanks. I must keep my eyes open for when they unload those things.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

I am going to avoid I-70 in Colorado like a muthafucka this upcoming long weekend.

Thinking about going to Red Lodge, MT and driving Beartooth Pass Hwy over/down in to Wyoming and Yellowstone to Jackson; back to CO.

The thought of Yellowstone on July 4 weekend seems like a bad idea. Am I wrong? How about Beartooth Hwy?

There's a big fire just east of Red Lodge FYI, I think they had to close the road for a bit but that was a week or so ago.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/map/7537/4/

Quote Originally Posted by ####### View Post
    There's a big fire just east of Red Lodge FYI, I think they had to close the road for a bit but that was a week or so ago.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/map/7537/4/
    I don't think they closed 212 at all, but they did have a USFS closure on both sides of it for a week or so.

Red Lodge has the rodeo in town for the weekend of the fourth, I believe, so town could be a complete cluster, particularly if your timing sucks relative to parade and rodeo gate times. I'd expect the pass to be okay early in the morning but get busy later, YMMV.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    I don't think they closed 212 at all, but they did have a USFS closure on both sides of it for a week or so.

Red Lodge has the rodeo in town for the weekend of the fourth, I believe, so town could be a complete cluster, particularly if your timing sucks relative to parade and rodeo gate times. I'd expect the pass to be okay early in the morning but get busy later, YMMV.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app
    All this, you idea to get out of Colorado to go to Yellowstone to avoid crowds is out of the the frying pan kind of thing. That being said Red Lodge on the 4th is an all time experience. Worth the crowds in my opinion, go to the parade, go to the rodeo, hit up the Snow Creek for after hours... Good times! I miss that place and go back home every chance I get. PS I have several world champion rodeo cowboy cousins from around there - so I may be biased. My mom is a Greenough, look up Alice Greenough sometime, badass women
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    I am going to avoid I-70 in Colorado like a muthafucka this upcoming long weekend.

Thinking about going to Red Lodge, MT and driving Beartooth Pass Hwy over/down in to Wyoming and Yellowstone to Jackson; back to CO.

The thought of Yellowstone on July 4 weekend seems like a bad idea. Am I wrong? How about Beartooth Hwy?

You are not wrong.

But you can avoid some of the clusterfuckery by getting out of Red Lodge early or late.

Driving over BT pass before 9 or after 6 is usually pretty chill. The Dunraven pass is closed in YS so going thru to JH is extra long.
    Unless your jonesing to see all of the Park, I'd say go over BT pass, then take the 296 towards Cody and go in the east entrance of YS.
    It'll be shorter overall and less stressful; And driving along the Clark's fork of the Yellowstone and also up the north fork/Shoshone river canyon west of Cody is as gorgeous as the park.

Getting stuck in traffic on a 2 lane is likely but nuthin' like the i70 shitshow ...

Zion closed Tuesday due to flash flooding.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Nati...3786527114562/

Damn I can't imagine what the narrows and other canyons would be like in that situation.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Damn I can't imagine what the narrows and other canyons would be like in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    You are not wrong.

But you can avoid some of the clusterfuckery by getting out of Red Lodge early or late.

Driving over BT pass before 9 or after 6 is usually pretty chill. The Dunraven pass is closed in YS so going thru to JH is extra long.
    Unless your jonesing to see all of the Park, I'd say go over BT pass, then take the 296 towards Cody and go in the east entrance of YS.
    It'll be shorter overall and less stressful; And driving along the Clark's fork of the Yellowstone and also up the north fork/Shoshone river canyon west of Cody is as gorgeous as the park.

Getting stuck in traffic on a 2 lane is likely but nuthin' like the i70 shitshow ...
    Thanks man. I would rather chill in traffic on a 2-lane any day over the Vail 500 Nascar Race that is I-70

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Just did YNP > GTNP > Bryce > Zion > Capitol Reef > Arches > Canyonlands in 6 days with my mom. Yeah, that was 2k miles driven.

Honestly, biggest cluster the entire time was passing through YNP and hitting Old Faithful at like 1pm on a Wednesday. We did mostly drive-by stuff with some shorter hikes. Bryce we got there early and did Queen's Garden loop. Awesome. Zion we didn't get there as early as I would have liked, but we did 2+ miles up the Narrows and it wasn't too crazy busy. The water hiking was a lot for her and glad she rented the boots. Definitely doing a Top Down or a Subway at some point in the future. Wanted to do Angels but my mom would have never made the hike.

Reef was a quick drive through. Arches we got there at 6am and Delicate lot was about 80% full already. Mom managed the hike just barely.

Zoomed over to Canyonlands via the north/motorist way. No hikes there unfortunately.

Lucked out with weather as it was pretty cool for the desert in the summer. I got some rad pics I'll have to share once I go through them all. SOOO much more to explore in these parks that I will have to go back with a backpack and really explore.

That's like going skiing in Utah and planning on only doing one run at Snowbird, Alta, Deer Valley, Brighton, Solitude, and PC so you can see what all the resorts are like.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    That's like going skiing in Utah and planning on only doing one run at Snowbird, Alta, Deer Valley, Brighton, Solitude, and PC so you can see what all the resorts are like.
    Or it might be like spending some quality time with your mom on a roadtrip.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    For sure! That good part goes without saying I thought. Wasn't commenting on that.

Thanks for the update. Good on you for takin your Mom. Even crowded that's an amazing trip.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Exactly. Seems like he hit her perfect max, so why not spread it out a lot? It's not like there's going to be a lot of those trips in the future, not to be morbid, but realistic. There's a big difference between that variety of places and looking at another white groomer.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

HBM - if you can make the time, holla when you're near Jackson and maybe we can connect for a beer or a toke and some quality convo. I gots da goods.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I made a big Parks roadtrip a few years back with my Dad and a couple that traveled a ton with my parents before my Mom passed.
    They were amazed at what the American West has to offer. They'd been all over the world and thought it was an all time trip.
    JH-YS-Cody-Devil's Tower-Rushmore/Crazy Horse-Little Big Horn-Beartooth-YS-JH; took a day off and farted around town.
    Then JH-Colorado Nat'l. Monument- Gateway/Dolores River canyon-Million dollar Hwy-Mesa Verde-Hovenweep-Monument Valley-Moenkopi-Grand Canyon-Bryce-Escalante-Cap Reef-Moab-Arches-Canyonlands- then 191 past Flaming Gorge back to JH.
    Iirc, it totaled near 4500 miles over about 10 days.
    Fucking amazeballs. Utah could be an entire National Park.
    Pretty sure my driving scared them.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Just did YNP > GTNP > Bryce > Zion > Capitol Reef > Arches > Canyonlands in 6 days with my mom. Yeah, that was 2k miles driven.

Honestly, biggest cluster the entire time was passing through YNP and hitting Old Faithful at like 1pm on a Wednesday. We did mostly drive-by stuff with some shorter hikes. Bryce we got there early and did Queen's Garden loop. Awesome. Zion we didn't get there as early as I would have liked, but we did 2+ miles up the Narrows and it wasn't too crazy busy. The water hiking was a lot for her and glad she rented the boots. Definitely doing a Top Down or a Subway at some point in the future. Wanted to do Angels but my mom would have never made the hike.

Reef was a quick drive through. Arches we got there at 6am and Delicate lot was about 80% full already. Mom managed the hike just barely.

Zoomed over to Canyonlands via the north/motorist way. No hikes there unfortunately.

Lucked out with weather as it was pretty cool for the desert in the summer. I got some rad pics I'll have to share once I go through them all. SOOO much more to explore in these parks that I will have to go back with a backpack and really explore.
    How'd you get to your hike in Zion? Where'd you park? In or outside of the park?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Yes, this was a quick hits trip. If we do another it will be grand canyon and general AZ stuff with less driving and more time around a smaller area.

As far as Zion goes it seems like you can't get to most of the trailheads unless you take the park shuttle, ride a bike, or get there super early?

So on the free park shuttle we went through a gate that was marked "shuttles only beyond this point" but that gate must be open if you are in the park before 6am because there were definitely regular passenger cars at many/most of the trailheads beyond the gate.....as well as many empty parking spaces.....yet they were not allowing cars up past the gate anymore.