Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Attachment 377654
    Me neither.
    that's like saying climate change isn't real cause it's cold outside.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Galen Rowell called 395--at least the stretch south of Carson City--the most beautiful road in America.

pretty much exactly where CA 89 ends

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    that's like saying climate change isn't real cause it's cold outside.
    no. not even close. taking an exaggerated snippet of anecdotal evidence about litter as a deterrent to visiting wilderness areas is fucking stupid.

no. not even close. taking an exaggerated snippet of anecdotal evidence about litter as a deterrent to visiting wilderness areas is fucking stupid.
    no. powdork is spot on with you.

i think you are all crazy, so who cares though.

Attachment 377654
    Me neither.
    Who’s the asshat who just throws a tree into the pond like that?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

God.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Who’s the asshat who just throws a tree into the pond like that?

Why isn't Lesh shitting into that lake?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

How much y’all wanna bet I could waterbug that?

If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

1. I never mentioned anything about not going or any sort of deterrent whatsoever.
    2. No one mentioned wilderness areas, nor is that where the litter and overuse problem are their worst. This thread, and that article, are about National Parks (and easily accessed areas in general).
    3. Take a step back, go look up anecdotal evidence, and then get back to me on which one of us is posting it before calling me 'fucking stupid'.

good god man.

1. no one said you did. did i say "Powdork didn't go to the park because he read an article posted on TGR"? i was relaying how i felt about your correlation and clarifying my post in response to benny's dumbass post.
    2. you taking this so personally is hilarious. no one would visit national parks if that article does it's job. it's meant to make people think twice about visiting by highlighting what happens where lazy idiots go.
    3. is "human waste and toilet paper were scattered along photogenic lakes and streams" empirical evidence or hysterical exaggeration meant to generate page views?

Never called you, powdork, fucking stupid. but anyone who takes that article as a deterrent to visiting parks, forests, and wilderness is.
    Last edited by mcphee; 06-23-2021 at 07:15 AM.

Thanks for all of the insights... and the other usual crap
    If you are headed to the shitshow that is our nation's NP this summer...
    people reserve sites for cheap. then cancel them.
    I got 2 nights at grant (will need to move sites probably) and 1 at madison. just have to keep checking the site.
    then I have some random nights but found some potential spots to camp.
    then i got a night at squirrel meadow cabin. anyone been there? looks weird and remote.
    then maybe wind river or down to steamboat area. dumont lake? summit lake? will my outback be fine up buffalo pass? one way to find out! if you see an outback with a sticker that says 'Advil is my Yoga' honk and give me the finger and smile and yell PENIS!
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

In Pinedale the Log Cabins are an excellent choice. Great owner, great cabins. Walk to the brewery. Count me amongst the dumbfucks who have gotten ticketed in Pinedale so watch your speeds (2003 my very last speeding ticket and still bent about it).

Even better stay at the Big Sandy Lodge. All inclusive breakfast lunch and dinner with good choice of beers and whiskeys ala cart. Rustic cabins with only gas lanterns for light. Almost right on top of the trail to Big Sandy Lake (10 miles rt) or (Cirque maybe 20 miles RT). Either way it is at the end of a bumpy gravel road in almost paradise. Young owners who are cool. Food is really good. We stayed last year after our backpack and it was a badass way to be pampered and cool our heels after a week of suffrage in the backcountry.

http://www.big-sandy-lodge.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/bigsandylodgewyoming

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    give me the finger and smile and yell PENIS!
    talk dirty whilst fingering you. got it.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    <snip> Count me amongst the dumbfucks who have gotten ticketed in Pinedale so watch your speeds (2003 my very last speeding ticket and still bent about it).
    Dude.

Come on...

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Dude.

Come on...

I hold grudges. In my genes. Not my strongest attribute.

No... I was commenting on the fact that you actually were speeding in Pinedale. NOBODY speeds in Pinedale.

No... I was commenting on the fact that you actually were speeding in Pinedale. NOBODY speeds in Pinedale.

I was a few feet from the speed limit change going south out of town. Another second and I'd have been well under the limit and impeding the flow of traffic behind me. But yeah.

I was a few feet from the speed limit change going south out of town. Another second and I'd have been well under the limit and impeding the flow of traffic behind me. But yeah.
    Yep. That's where they love to getcha.

Also - beware Farson... or is it Eden?

This is where growing up in an area with lots of small towns is beneficial--they actually covered small-town speed traps in driver's Ed, plus it was pretty common knowledge that at least 85% of the time, the cops had nothing better to do than play Roscoe and hang out behind a bush at the edge of town.

It's especially brutal when the speed drops a quarter mile or more before you properly get into town and it feels like a higher speed road.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Leastways, not twice.

Scorpio, is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney;6342694
    Even better stay at the Big Sandy Lodge. All inclusive breakfast lunch and dinner with good choice of beers and whiskeys ala cart. Rustic cabins with only gas lanterns for light. Almost right on top of the trail to Big Sandy Lake (10 miles rt) or (Cirque maybe 20 miles RT). Either way it is at the end of a bumpy gravel road in almost paradise. Young owners who are cool. Food is really good. We stayed last year after our backpack and it was a badass way to be pampered and cool our heels after a week of suffrage in the backcountry.

[url
    http://www.big-sandy-lodge.com/[/url]
    https://www.facebook.com/bigsandylodgewyoming

I met Finis Mitchell twice when he was in his 80's. Once when we backpacked the length of the range, stopping to climb here and there. We came through Big Sandy Opening and Finis and his wife were kind enough to take our trash out--no garbage cans at the campground. The other time we were descending Mitchell Peak after climbing the north face route and met him on the south slopes. He was with two younger women, neither his wife. He was carrying all the gear for the 3 of them. It took an act of Congress to name Mitchell Peak after him while he was still alive.

@old goat

Did some googling and youtubeing on him. What a guy, thanks for sharing.

good god man.

1. no one said you did. did i say "Powdork didn't go to the park because he read an article posted on TGR"? i was relaying how i felt about your correlation and clarifying my post in response to benny's dumbass post.
    2. you taking this so personally is hilarious. no one would visit national parks if that article does it's job. it's meant to make people think twice about visiting by highlighting what happens where lazy idiots go.
    3. is "human waste and toilet paper were scattered along photogenic lakes and streams" empirical evidence or hysterical exaggeration meant to generate page views?

Never called you, powdork, fucking stupid. but anyone who takes that article as a deterrent to visiting parks, forests, and wilderness is.
    well then sorry for being overly defensive. i was the one quoted so i mistook it as directed at me. to answer #3, in these parts it was definitely empirical evidence. Keep in mind we had a 'not huge but large' influx of people that were basically newbies and were only hitting the trails because they were the only thing open, and yet all the facilities (trash and toilets) were closed and locked (or overflowing because they weren't being serviced).
    But that's just during the pandemic. The rest of the time it only happens on summer weekends, holidays, busy winter weekends. Bonus is folks are now easily able to rent side by sides and take them to Twin Peaks areas and elsewhere, where few of them stay on the roads unless they're with the guided programs (maybe).

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Travel Article from the NYT:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/22/t...eWeekenderLink

Except for two points nothing new we don't already know, reservations a must, lodging prices up, workers in short supply, housing for workers extremely difficult to find. Locals complaining about {fill in the topic here}, topics: Traffic congestion, crowds, noise, mountain town / outdoors etiquette, trash, full trailhead parking.

Two new points:
    - Ski resorts are not just for skiing anymore, they are upping their game as a summer destination.

- There's a new hotel in Jackson Hole named The Cloudveil, https://thecloudveil.com, odd coincidence with the former clothing company of partially the same name being from there.

Had to look up "via ferrata" to see it in a picture.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.