Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Hey, I've got a lifetime pass, mofo, just pointing out an easy discount.

And, btw, go fuck yourself.

I'm with the "get a hotel room" group. While I generally think that car camping is sufficiently luxurious, if you can get a decent room near or in the park, you can potentially take a nap mid-day to make up for the sleep you won't be getting when you get up early to beat the crowds.

And, FWIW, despite knowing how much of a gong show Yellowstone can be in the summer, I still took my then-gf to Old Faithful when she came to visit in July a few years back. It is pretty damn cool, and if you're that close, you should suck up the PITA factor and visit it (IMO). I don't think either of us are likely to feel a need to go back to that particular geyser until our kids are old enough to enjoy it, but it's worth doing (just try not to do it between 10 am and 4 pm).

The choice-of-location stuff absolutely matters, too; Yellowstone is a big park, and while staying near Cody or Cooke gets you into that side of the park well ahead of the hordes coming from West, you'll need to get up damned early to make it to Old Faithful for an early-morning visit. Keep in mind that the park is down a road (Tower/Roosevelt to Canyon) this year due to construction, so that will affect your ability to get from wherever you sleep to certain parts of the park.

Oh, and please be aware of who you might be blocking if you slow down or stop while in the roadway to look at animals. It's all well and good to check out that bison or grizzly that's standing roadside if no one is behind you, but if there are motorcyclists behind you (or in the line of traffic behind you), you're putting them in a sketchy position with not a lot of escape options.

Because I live next to GTNP and YSNP, I buy the annual $80 all parks pass. And I consider that a deal. Seems lofty but access to any park in the country at anytime is tits for me.

I road trip a decent amount and have been in about 100 Parks, Preserves, Battlefields, etc.
    Lotsa pretty obscure ones too: Devil's Postpile, Hubbell Trading post, Canyon de Chelly, Capulin Volcano, City of Rocks, Guadalupe mtns., Hovenweep, Big Hole NB, Antietam NB, Harper's Ferry, Canaveral...

AVS' comment about motorcyclists...Yessss. Holy shit have I been sketched by both Bears and Bison while riding past them. It can be a dilemma in a jam.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About that 550 route, Lots to see, two days to JH is ideal. Gives you time to enjoy the sights a bit more.
    Just NW of ABQ is Chaco canyon, very cool if it's yer thing. Dirt road out to the ruins.
    Beating am traffic outta ABQ puts you into Durango about brunchtime. Up to Silverton, Ouray, Ridgeway - all beautiful over the San Juan Mtns.

This is a teeny bit off topic, but I highly, highly recommend that everyone drive all of route 89, either North or South, in the fall. At least once in your lifetime. Quintessential Western US experience.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Just recommend packing snacks/lunch/meals before entering the park. Amenities are rightfully sparse. Old Faithful is pretty busy with lots to buy including alcohol but some areas of the park are a very long way from anything or at most a small shop. Yellowstone also seems like an easy place to end up driving far longer than you expect and end up needing to recharge so it's more fun when you're prepared.

I thought camping in the park was fine...if you have a decent spot reserved. Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone was a good site.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaaarrrp View Post
    Just recommend packing snacks/lunch/meals before entering the park. Amenities are rightfully sparse. Old Faithful is pretty busy with lots to buy including alcohol but some areas of the park are a very long way from anything or at most a small shop. Yellowstone also seems like an easy place to end up driving far longer than you expect and end up needing to recharge so it's more fun when you're prepared.

I thought camping in the park was fine...if you have a decent spot reserved. Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone was a good site.
    That reminds me: pay attention to distances and remember that driving over mountains tends to reduce gas mileage. The stations in the park aren't as expensive as you might think, but there are a lot of miles to cover (plus there's the whole business hours consideration if going early morning or late evening).

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

This thread reminds me of a mommy blog with tips on how to strategically visit overcrowded Disneyland the best way possible.

Where are the spreadsheets??

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    you're a cheap-ass loser.
    Bringing the stoke

No spreadsheet, but how we do lunch:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 12.02.10 PM.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	541.7 KB 
ID:	377610
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    This is a teeny bit off topic, but I highly, highly recommend that everyone drive all of route 89, either North or South, in the fall. At least once in your lifetime. Quintessential Western US experience.
    Is that the road that goes through the Wind River mountains?

I guess this place is aging into hotels? Most of the advice on “how to beat the crowds” worked in the 00s, but not recently, ime. Just suck it up and deal with crowds everywhere.

Name:  IMG_3554.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  91.1 KB
    easy to get away from crowds in Yellowstone. follow the advice in this thread regarding times and packing your food in. don't follow benny's advice, pay your way in. had this beach and view to ourselves for several hours. Bridge Bay area.

It goes from Mexico to Canada on the western flank of the Rockies. Absolutely stunning road given its length.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Name:  IMG_3554.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  91.1 KB
    easy to get away from crowds in Yellowstone. follow the advice in this thread regarding times and packing your food in. don't follow benny's advice, pay your way in. had this beach and view to ourselves for several hours. Bridge Bay area.
    Hey Benny paid his dues, likely with the lifetime natl parks for old crusty people.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Got it at the old cheap price, too.

I've been on a lot of that road. Theses days with Google maps I'm just following instructions, didn't realize it's all one old highway.

Similarly, US 191 is also a great Can -> Mex route, shares some stretches with 89 and goes through some amazing country

I just drove the part in Utah from north of 70 up to SLC.

Thanks for all the tips! Like other public parks, this has the thing that people book cheap sites way in advance and then cancel so I am keeping an eye on it. Also the campgrounds are booked but still have availability due to no shows...
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Back to Yellowstone. Check out the Bechler area if you want to backpack and see a wild side of the park. Hot springs, bears, mosquitos. Dunanda falls has a hot spring right at the base.

Don't go now, go then!

https://www.hcn.org/issues/53.7/info...lic-lands-busy

"If nature did manage a little healing in the spring, by summer the wounds were ripped open again in the form of overuse, torn-up alpine tundra, litter, noise, car exhaust and crowd-stressed wildlife. Human waste and toilet paper were scattered alongside photogenic lakes and streams. Search and rescue teams, most of which are volunteer, were overwhelmed, with some being called out three or more times a week. Meanwhile, the agencies charged with overseeing the lands have long been underfunded and understaffed — a situation exacerbated by the global pandemic. They were simply unable to get a handle on all of the use — and increased abuse.
    There is no end in sight: The first five months of 2021 have been the busiest ever for much of the West’s public lands. And tourist season has only just begun."

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    https://www.hcn.org/issues/53.7/info...lic-lands-busy

"If nature did manage a little healing in the spring, by summer the wounds were ripped open again in the form of overuse, torn-up alpine tundra, litter, noise, car exhaust and crowd-stressed wildlife. Human waste and toilet paper were scattered alongside photogenic lakes and streams. Search and rescue teams, most of which are volunteer, were overwhelmed, with some being called out three or more times a week. Meanwhile, the agencies charged with overseeing the lands have long been underfunded and understaffed — a situation exacerbated by the global pandemic. They were simply unable to get a handle on all of the use — and increased abuse.
    There is no end in sight: The first five months of 2021 have been the busiest ever for much of the West’s public lands. And tourist season has only just begun."
    Not seeing this where I've been.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3491.jpg 
Views:	831 
Size:	927.5 KB 
ID:	377654
    Me neither.

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    I just drove the part in Utah from north of 70 up to SLC.
    And I was thinking it had to be california state route 89, because it is beautiful too
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.