Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    The roads in Yellowstone are always crowded in the summer but the hiking trails are lightly used, even in the busiest of times. There are many off the main roads where you may not see another person. Do some research, maybe check with the Rangers, bring bear/bug spray and you'll see a park that relatively few ever see.
    The Sheriff is near!

My advice for what it’s worth. 20 years ago you would totally want to stay around Jackson and the Tetons - now fuck that shit! It takes 30 minutes to get through town. The park is a cool magical place and in my 50 some years of growing up there and visiting it still is one of my favorite places on earth. That being said it is a gigantic shitshow. I would recommend staying in either Cooke City (if you can find a spot) or Wapiti/Cody and day tripping. The wildlife viewing from Cooke City into the Lamar Valley is all time. Early morning as the sun comes up is by far the best time to see wolfs, bears and bison in the Lamar. If you want I can check and see if anyone is at my families cabin in Cooke City - it’s super rustic but close to the park.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

That would be dope^

Don’t skip the park, motivate and get there early to see some of the main tourist spots, have a picnic or go for a hike during the day, and then see more later in the evening. It’s absolutely more than doable.

If everything else falls through keep in mind it’s only a 20 minute drive from some free, non-reservation camping in north Island Park to West Yellowstone. Could easily set up camp there and shoot into the park in the morning. If you’re interested let me know and I can share more deets

the obvious alternative is don't go in july, go in september (although that was in 2012 so september may be too crowded now as well). it makes everything better. Took my kids in mid September 2012. it was awesome. another option if you climb is city of rocks. as long as they can belay and you can lead cause there's not a lot of top rope options. Otherwise there's tons of other options for camping in the jellystone region and you can do one or two overnights near the entrance to do a park day. We saw more wildlife near Gardiner toward mammoth springs than anywhere else but we didn't make it to cooke city. bummed about that. lucky or maybe the time of year. we didn't see a whole lot of wildlife on our hikes, but it's true the people don't go.
    yellowstone starts halfway down the page but city of rocks is before that after the tahoe stuff.
    http://www.powdork.com/2013/the-art-of-being-homeless/
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I am prepared for epic shitshow-ness this summer. Mom coming in from east coast next week. GTNP, Bryce, and Arches all in the same week. Yes, you read that correctly.

Dad/bro/sis coming on a second trip in August and we will attempt Yellowstone at least one day from Bozeman.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I am prepared for epic shitshow-ness this summer. Mom coming in from east coast next week. GTNP, Bryce, and Arches all in the same week. Yes, you read that correctly.

Dad/bro/sis coming on a second trip in August and we will attempt Yellowstone at least one day from Bozeman.
    I was just in Bryce and it was pretty mellow compared to Zion. Fairyland loop.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Sometimes you just have to embrace the shit show and enjoy time with family from out of town. Not every trip can be a rad bro tgr trip

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

When I was working/living in the park, I would always remind the crews that yeah, it was frustrating to get caught in the critter jams when you were trying to get home after a long week of shitty work, but to try to remember that for a lot of these tourists, it was a once in a lifetime experience. Try to enjoy the experience of seeing people excited and blown away by things we live around on a daily basis and have begun to take for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Unfortunately, the Cirque isn't exactly getting away from the crowds anymore.
    No it isn't. We pulled in early last year and found a great site and just after sunset some jackass's came and set up two tents a stones throw away right on top of our water source. But I expected it and my wife really wanted to stay there one night. This was the only time in the Winds we've had to deal with someone camping too close.

Tons of good places to camp nearby with nobody around though. It would be a big in and out with a family. Two night minimum to make it worth it imo. Also was part of the massive blow down last year the week after we left.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    When I was working/living in the park, I would always remind the crews that yeah, it was frustrating to get caught in the critter jams when you were trying to get home after a long week of shitty work, but to try to remember that for a lot of these tourists, it was a once in a lifetime experience. Try to enjoy the experience of seeing people excited and blown away by things we live around on a daily basis and have begun to take for granted.
    QFT. Off topic but I’ve always felt pretty happy about seeing visiting families, who aren’t asshats, having a blast at the ski hill. I know we all like to bitch about crowds but that shit gets me kind of stoked TBH.

Skip it for sure, it's not worth the stress and frustration. Reschedule for a fall trip, take the kids out of school for it, and experience it on your own terms. Otherwise you are just biting your lip, putting a smile on your face, and checking it off your list along with tens of thousands of strangers.

Fall is no longer quiet at Yellowstone. Quieter maybe. I think 'not going' is bad advice if you have kids. We went again a few years ago and I pledge never to go back unless it is for backpacking but I don't regret going at all. My daughter was deeply moved by the all the buffalo on the road, the wolf sighting, the bears.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Unfortunately, the Cirque isn't exactly getting away from the crowds anymore.
    Crowds are relative--people who can drive to Old Faithful vs people who can hike 9 miles and over an 11000 ft pass.

Turns out when you go May not matter
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ay/7668321002/
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

GTNP, Bryce, and Arches all in the same week. Yes, you read that correctly.
    Holy shit.

I just did Bryce and Arches last month. Do not attempt to get into Arches after 10am, until maybe 3-4pm. They just close the gates after the morning rush. Maybe even earlier once the families arrive this summer. Once you're in, you're in, so, get up at dawn or earlier. It's also free if you arrive early or late. Nobody checking passes. Canyonlands was fine, though.
    Bryce wasn't bad. If you want to avoid crowds and even paying to get into the park and enjoy a lot of it, do The Fairyland hike which starts off a side road that is a left turn before the official park entrance. It's an awesome hike, but, a bit grueling. 8 miles, a lot of climbing. No shade.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brycewallandcloudsBW.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	377503

Name:	brycetripplerockBW.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	377504

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Sometimes you just have to embrace the shit show and enjoy time with family from out of town. Not every trip can be a rad bro tgr trip

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Yeah, but, Zion was ridiculous. We scheduled it as a drive thru from the east entrance and exiting out the main west entrance, and the place was ridiculous on a Monday. One big traffic jam, zero parking anywhere, including the main lot, and they were still letting THREE rows of cars into the west entrance when we left! That place is beautiful, but drowning from the love.

I agree with those that say go to natl parks during "off seasons" I did Bryce and Zion in like October and both were nearly empty. Bryce was cold, but Zion was not. We did a VRBO in some random town kinda between the 2 parks. Was a bit rough getting daily essential stuff as most places cater to the busy season.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

If you really want to have a mind blowing experience, go to Bryce in the winter!! Nobody there! You can rent xc skis at the Ruby's Lodge and the place is your own personal National Park. Snow on the ground makes the place ever more stunning!! You can't ski down below the rim, but the views are to die for! There is no problem with crowds, which makes the experience truly stellar. You can also ski at Red Rock State Park which is close by. Red Rock and snow are a unique way to see this place.

Arches is absolutely amazing in the winter as well. Campground is open. Nobody around. Perfect weather.

Black Canyon of the Gunnison is relatively uncrowded year round. Camping is completely free in the winter.

Pic Arches campground in January

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Holy shit.

I just did Bryce and Arches last month. Do not attempt to get into Arches after 10am, until maybe 3-4pm. They just close the gates after the morning rush. Maybe even earlier once the families arrive this summer. Once you're in, you're in, so, get up at dawn or earlier. It's also free if you arrive early or late. Nobody checking passes. Canyonlands was fine, though.
    Bryce wasn't bad. If you want to avoid crowds and even paying to get into the park and enjoy a lot of it, do The Fairyland hike which starts off a side road that is a left turn before the official park entrance. It's an awesome hike, but, a bit grueling. 8 miles, a lot of climbing. No shade.

Name:	brycewallandcloudsBW.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	377503

Great photos. We are both amateur photogs and will be bringing the big cameras and tripods. I told my mom in advance we would be getting up very early everyday to beat some crowds and heat.

She's 67 and in decent shape for a lady that lives at literally 3ft above sea level and plays a lot of pickleball. 8 mile hikes probably not in the cards. 3-5 mile loops max most likely.

Also would take some good reccos for BLM roads around bryce/zion/moab areas to get some photo opps without super long hikes. She wants to take some sunset and star photos.

Thanks all.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's a long hike, but, try the portion that starts from behind the general store in the park down to the Tower Bridge and back. That's only about 3-4 miles, and still pretty cool.

Try Kodachrome Basin State park east of Bryce for lack of crowds and probably pretty damn dark night skies. I was in there a few years ago and encountered like three people.

I just watched this the other day, and you may want to get it to Mom before she leaves. Lots of good advice, especially those apps that tell you where the Milky Way will be at wherever and whenever you are. Bring a lot of warm clothes for that. Christ, it can get cold in these hot places.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Turns out when you go May not matter
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ay/7668321002/
    Not true if you put two and two together. Of course they have a record May. Every month is a record number these days. It’s still less crowded in May than summer months. And October.

Rough number for July’s in the park almost 1 million with a quick google search, record May this year was 483,000.

Edit for July's number being way off
    Last edited by muted reborn; 06-21-2021 at 08:52 AM.

Great photos. We are both amateur photogs and will be bringing the big cameras and tripods. I told my mom in advance we would be getting up very early everyday to beat some crowds and heat.

She's 67 and in decent shape for a lady that lives at literally 3ft above sea level and plays a lot of pickleball. 8 mile hikes probably not in the cards. 3-5 mile loops max most likely.

Also would take some good reccos for BLM roads around bryce/zion/moab areas to get some photo opps without super long hikes. She wants to take some sunset and star photos.

Thanks all.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Kolob reservoir up to lava point trailhead (Zion). There is a small campground there. We started west rim trail there.
    Stars blew my mind.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

I have a July 9-11 campsite at Madison that I will not be using. If interested let me know
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Holy shit.

Once you're in, you're in, so, get up at dawn or earlier. It's also free if you arrive early or late. Nobody checking passes. If you want to avoid crowds and even paying to get into the park and enjoy a lot of it,

you're a cheap-ass loser.