Thread: Wtb cranks

Wtb cranks

Well fuck me sideways, I bent a crank on my Orbea Occam. Shimano XT M8100 175mm drive side. Im thinking shorter might be better since I'm smashing my pedals repeatedly on this bike. I was off my bike for 6 weeks after a gnarly pedal strike induced crash. Second ride back on my bike and whack, clipped a hidden stump and piled up again. I've never had so many pedal strikes as with this bike.

What cranks are strong AF that are still affordable?
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Another pair of xt cranks or slx

How much different will 5 or 10 mm crank length make? I get that ill lose a bit of torque on climbs but how noticeable will it be? Not that I'd notice much difference, I've only ridden it a handfull of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    How much different will 5 or 10 mm crank length make? I get that ill lose a bit of torque on climbs but how noticeable will it be? Not that I'd notice much difference, I've only ridden it a handfull of times.
    In this guy's experience, quite a bit. 10mm is a large amount, in terms of the spin sensation, and the rock strikes. 5mm is less noticable, but 10 is really a lot.

Cramming in the narrowest Q-factor possible is also huge. Ignore all that chain line theory crap.

Thinner pedals can add some clearance too, if youre on flats. Xt or slx cranks are great. You probably just smacked them hard enough anything would bend. Ive gone from 170 to 165 but i also have a 29" inseam. Definitely not seeing a lot of 175 specced these days. 170 seems to be taking over. Its possible you could have 8 or 9 mm more clearance with a 170 together with thinner flat pedals and still have a similar leverage because the thinner pedal is a win win. I like canfield mt crampons(thin, grippy, durable and easily rebuildable)but there is a few good options

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    My new bike has 170mm cranks and every previous bike I’ve ever owned has had 175. I don’t notice the difference in crank length at all as far as pedaling goes (I’m 6’4” for what it’s worth). Can’t speak to gearing as far as feel, since I’m coming off a 26” wheel bike so it would be comparing apples to oranges. However, in theory it should reduce torque by about 3%, which is about 1/4 - 1/3 of a gear.

I’m clipping pedals like crazy on the new bike, even with the shorter cranks, but that’s just because I’m used to the sky high BB my old bike had.

Found some 170 xt cranks online at TBS bike parts for $219cad and ordered them Wednesday night with free 10 day shipping in North America. How surprised was I to get home from work and see them on the table. Turns out they have a warehouse in Kelowna (60km away).

Woo hoo and fuck ya, I'm riding this weekend!

Nice! TBS is handy for shimano at a good price. 2-3 days to get here works for me

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

This thread reminded me - if anyone needs a non-drive side 175mm SLX crank I've got one. Also got the drive side but the pedal threads are stripped out. Not sure if you can helicoil that.

I've got a GX Eagle DUB crank i could sell you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9535 copy.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	377419
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9538 copy.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	377420