Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Diamond Lake->Umpqua/Toketee Falls/Steamboat(stop for food and check out Steamboat Creek steelhead pool)->Roseburg->(North on I-5 to Sutherlin)->138 to Elkton->Hiway 38 (stop at the Elk Sanctuary)->Reedsport->101 through Coos Bay->Humbug Mountain State Park->Gold Beach (eat at Anna's By The Sea)->Smith River->Redwoods.
    I'd second a lot of this. I drove the entire 101/PCH back in Feb/Mar. Olympic Peninsula would be worth it if the forecast isn't terrible. I had a few bluebird days around Port Angeles then rain all the way down to Newport. Aside from a few spots I thought the best part of the drive in OR was from Gold Beach down to Brookings OR. The Lower Dungeness/Gold Creek loop by Port Angeles is awesome backcountry riding through thick coastal forest. Highly recommend if you make it that far north. In OR I rode Cape Mountain above Florence (ok riding, might suck with horse traffic in summer) and Whiskey Run trails by Coos Bay. Whiskey Run is worth a stop for sure. Purpose built MTB trails with some legit black/2x black descents.

If you make it down that far you gotta go down and drive through the redwoods. Howland Hills is good but my favorite drives are the Newton Drury Parkway in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park and the Avenue of the Giants south of Eureka. Lots of great riding along the way. You can loop Ossagon Trail in Prairie Creek SP down to the beach where there's a herd of resident elk, and then ride back on the parkway. I rode Little Bald Hills and the Last Chance Section of the Coastal trail near Crescent City as well. Both were pretty cool with Redwood groves. Arcata Community Forest has some really fun riding. It's a busy trail system, lots of hikers/runners/horses/bikes. If you do make it as far as Eureka or Avenue of the Giants definitely go a bit further and ride Paradise Royale by Shelter Cove. Really cool ride that is way off the beaten path. If you find yourself nearby don't miss the opportunity to ride it! Mattole Rd out of Eureka is a cool drive along the coast and will take you into Humbolt Redwoods SP the back way. I camped at a deserted beach on that road one night.

South of that area, Hwy 1 starts at Leggett. Its a cool drive and scenic, but doesn't have the rugged beauty of the southern OR section. I did a sunset ride in Mendocino (awesome trails) and then drove to SF the next day. That drive took almost the entire day. Crossing the Golden Gate was pretty cool, I liked that whole drive on Hwy 1 . I rode in Pacifica which is highly recommended, fun trails and awesome ocean views. The Big Sur coast is an awesome drive but a lot of the cool stuff above the highway is still under fire closure as is Big Basin Redwoods SP near Santa Cruz. You also end up a long ways south. If you make it down toward SF I'd head east from there toward Yosemite, Sonora Pass or Tahoe.

The only problem with the coast highway in general is finding good camping. I'm cheap and hate campgrounds, so I was looking for dispersed camping. A lot of spots I camped weren't legal. There are plenty of campgrounds but I'm sure they would be busy come summertime. There's a lot of private land along the coast which can make campsites hard to find. I've only driven the coast in winter when this wasn't really an issue. Interestingly the easiest spot to camp was right in SF along Lake Merced Blvd with all the RVers. Sounds like the city doesn't hassle them. https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7225.../data=!3m1!1e3

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    It’s closed due to wildfires in 2018 and last year

Usal Beach is pretty amazing but that last 5 miles of dirt road can be a little sketchy. And bring your own water.

If you want to see Lost Coast, recommend access at Petrolia. There’s a campground at mouth of Mattole River, and you will drive past the westernmost point in the continental US.
    The westernmost point in the contiguous US is near Cape Flattery on Avala Point in WA on the Olympic peninsula

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It’s closed due to wildfires in 2018 and last year

Usal Beach is pretty amazing but that last 5 miles of dirt road can be a little sketchy. And bring your own water.

If you want to see Lost Coast, recommend access at Petrolia. There’s a campground at mouth of Mattole River, and you will drive past the westernmost point in the continental US.
    The westernmost point in the contiguous US is near Cape Flattery on Avala Point in WA on the Olympic peninsula

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Diamond Lake->Umpqua/Toketee Falls/Steamboat(stop for food and check out Steamboat Creek steelhead pool)->Roseburg->(North on I-5 to Sutherlin)->138 to Elkton->Hiway 38 (stop at the Elk Sanctuary)->Reedsport->101 through Coos Bay->Humbug Mountain State Park->Gold Beach (eat at Anna's By The Sea)->Smith River->Redwoods.
    Dude, thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Seano, always listen to Buster's advice on these matters, he won't steer you wrong.
    Obviously!

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I'd second a lot of this. I drove the entire 101/PCH back in Feb/Mar. Olympic Peninsula would be worth it if the forecast isn't terrible. I had a few bluebird days around Port Angeles then rain all the way down to Newport. Aside from a few spots I thought the best part of the drive in OR was from Gold Beach down to Brookings OR. The Lower Dungeness/Gold Creek loop by Port Angeles is awesome backcountry riding through thick coastal forest. Highly recommend if you make it that far north. In OR I rode Cape Mountain above Florence (ok riding, might suck with horse traffic in summer) and Whiskey Run trails by Coos Bay. Whiskey Run is worth a stop for sure. Purpose built MTB trails with some legit black/2x black descents.

If you make it down that far you gotta go down and drive through the redwoods. Howland Hills is good but my favorite drives are the Newton Drury Parkway in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park and the Avenue of the Giants south of Eureka. Lots of great riding along the way. You can loop Ossagon Trail in Prairie Creek SP down to the beach where there's a herd of resident elk, and then ride back on the parkway. I rode Little Bald Hills and the Last Chance Section of the Coastal trail near Crescent City as well. Both were pretty cool with Redwood groves. Arcata Community Forest has some really fun riding. It's a busy trail system, lots of hikers/runners/horses/bikes. If you do make it as far as Eureka or Avenue of the Giants definitely go a bit further and ride Paradise Royale by Shelter Cove. Really cool ride that is way off the beaten path. If you find yourself nearby don't miss the opportunity to ride it! Mattole Rd out of Eureka is a cool drive along the coast and will take you into Humbolt Redwoods SP the back way. I camped at a deserted beach on that road one night.

South of that area, Hwy 1 starts at Leggett. Its a cool drive and scenic, but doesn't have the rugged beauty of the southern OR section. I did a sunset ride in Mendocino (awesome trails) and then drove to SF the next day. That drive took almost the entire day. Crossing the Golden Gate was pretty cool, I liked that whole drive on Hwy 1 . I rode in Pacifica which is highly recommended, fun trails and awesome ocean views. The Big Sur coast is an awesome drive but a lot of the cool stuff above the highway is still under fire closure as is Big Basin Redwoods SP near Santa Cruz. You also end up a long ways south. If you make it down toward SF I'd head east from there toward Yosemite, Sonora Pass or Tahoe.

The only problem with the coast highway in general is finding good camping. I'm cheap and hate campgrounds, so I was looking for dispersed camping. A lot of spots I camped weren't legal. There are plenty of campgrounds but I'm sure they would be busy come summertime. There's a lot of private land along the coast which can make campsites hard to find. I've only driven the coast in winter when this wasn't really an issue. Interestingly the easiest spot to camp was right in SF along Lake Merced Blvd with all the RVers. Sounds like the city doesn't hassle them. https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7225.../data=!3m1!1e3
    WORD.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

It may be in here somewhere, but will you be pulling a camper or are you just in a car/truck? If the latter, see if you can get a reservation at Gold Bluffs Beach Campground, part of Prairie Creek Redwoods SP (I saw Prairie Creek mentioned by evdog which made me think of it). There's actually some legal biking there -- a rarity -- and the combo of beach and redwoods and a simple campground right on the beach can't be beat. But no trailers of any kind on that road.

Prairie Creek is a good place to stop anyway for the trees, but Gold Bluffs and the trails down there are next level.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Avala Point past the campgrounds is closed as is the Makah reservation (Neah Bay). OP will need to check closures on the peninsula to find a good route. Still, worth the trip rather than I-5 South.

Actually, just checked and going from Port Townsend to Forks route looks fine. It would be interesting to go out to Neah Bay but not this summer...

I had fun bodywhomping at a small beach in Brookings. I can’t figure out which one, but you could park right above the sandy cove/beach. Fun little shallow shorebreak onto sand. In the water, it was me and some middle school-aged kids, tumbling in the waves. Great fun.

I recall the walk down damnation creek from the highway in Del Norte state park (del norte county, CA) being particularly awesome.

In April, there was some major road work on the coast highway between Klamath and Crescent City with a long multi-hour road closure. The available communication about the closure was never clear about length of time or frequency. I’m not sure if that construction is still occurring.

There is a pretty interesting walk-in beach-ish campground in prairie creek state park (north humboldt co) called “flint ridge camp.” It’s also near an interesting historic site, radar station b-71.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Prairie Creek is a good place to stop anyway for the trees, but Gold Bluffs and the trails down there are next level.
    It is gorgeous there. There’s a large herd of elk hanging out in that area as well.

Damn near hit a bull and several cows standing in the middle of the road when I was ripping up highway 101 from Arcata at 100 mph at 0430. No idea how I missed them…

It is gorgeous there. There’s a large herd of elk hanging out in that area as well.

Damn near hit a bull and several cows standing in the middle of the road when I was ripping up highway 101 from Arcata at 100 mph at 0430. No idea how I missed them…
    yep, remember those elk, they are fucking HUDGE.

I also remember pedaling along a trail and smelling crazy herb smell (not that kind of herb) and realized there was wild thyme growing everywhere. Gold Bluffs might be the best place I have ever camped. That might be the hallucinogens talking but maybe not.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

My neighbors regularly (annually) camp at gold bluffs. Their crew could not get a reservation this year, even when they tried for a single spot with a small group.

Alright boyos, things are firming up….My buddy is lending me his Overland ( I know, I know) with a roof top tent….. Planning on heading out 07/14-15. That puts me near JH 15/16th. Then to Whitefish. I can’t thank the collective enough, and I’ll get a roll call before I head out….I’ll def hit Sandpoint, and then towards NCNP, Port Townsend, Olympic, Newport, Bend…..All of you that reached out, beers on me. I retire day after tomorrow…….
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

congrats on the retirement. hope you have a hell of a time.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    I retire day after tomorrow…….
    Fuck yeah! You ever make it up this way, you got a place. Congrats and thanks for your service to us dipshits!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Congrats on hanging up the boots!

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    congrats on the retirement. hope you have a hell of a time.
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Fuck yeah! You ever make it up this way, you got a place. Congrats and thanks for your service to us dipshits!
    Thank you. I don’t consider you one of the dipshits, Gary….I’m pretty emotional right now, and I’ll drop the goodbye post on Wednesday…..And thanks for the invite man!
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Congrats on hanging up the boots!
    Oh man thanks MS! I believe we talked about beers in Madrid……
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Oh man thanks MS! I believe we talked about beers in Madrid……
    Abso-fukn-lootley! When you get back.

Keep this updated as you travel. Got a beer in Seattle for you. Enjoy the retirement

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Keep this updated as you travel. Got a beer in Seattle for you. Enjoy the retirement
    Thanks brah. I’ll give play by play in the TR thread and here…… Beers on me!
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Thoughts/Recs/Critiques of My Planned Roadtrip- VisionQuest 2021

I will follow Djongo’s 550 plan to JH, maybe not in one push......Swan Valley to WF. Sandpoint to ST 20 West ..... Winthrop to the Ocean, follow Goldmembers route south....SE to Bend, then S and W to Crater Lake, and then?????
    Thanks everyone, I’m buying any and all beers, food, etc, IRL.....I’ll TGR live blog when the blade servers fan is working.... Still tentative late July. Ish.
    You will be driving right through the middle of the TGR Fishing Mini-Summit ! Stop by and meet all of the cool maggots who hang out in the Fishing Forum. All 8 or 10 of us…. Does not matter if you fish or not, we are a fun group.

2021 Fishing Mini-Summit (MT/WY)
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=342409

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    You will be driving right through the middle of the TGR Fishing Mini-Summit ! Stop by and meet all of the cool maggots who hang out in the Fishing Forum. All 8 or 10 of us…. Does not matter if you fish or not, we are a fun group.

2021 Fishing Mini-Summit (MT/WY)
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=342409

Tell me when and where and I’ll be there. I’m fishing challenged…..

ETA I just actually read the link…..Thanks Harry.
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Big Sky on the 20th. I’ll be there. PM me the deets.
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

… Newport, Bend….
    I DO NOT recommend driving highway 101 from Astoria to Newport unless you like driving in bumper-bumper touron traffic while viewing wall-wall hotels, chain restaurants and t-shirt shops. Keep in mind a former Governor of Oregon described the stretch from Lincoln City to Newport as “The 20 miserable miles”,

And the drive on highway 20 from Newport to Bend is no prize either.

Instead, leave highway 101 at Long Beach WA, head east along Highway 4 and follow the Columbia River estuary upstream to Longview. From there go Vancouver-> Hood River-> Bend via I5, WA highway 2, Bridge of the Gods, highway 35 -> highway 26 -> highway 97.

The lower Columbia is nice until you get to Longview, the Columbia Gorge from Vancouver to Hood River is scenic, Hood River has good MTB riding (and windsurfing) and more breweries per capita than Bend.

Tell me when and where and I’ll be there. I’m fishing challenged…..

ETA I just actually read the link…..Thanks Harry.
    Big Sky on the 20th. I’ll be there. PM me the deets.
    PM sent !

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Alright boyos, things are firming up….My buddy is lending me his Overland ( I know, I know) with a roof top tent….. Planning on heading out 07/14-15. That puts me near JH 15/16th. Then to Whitefish. I can’t thank the collective enough, and I’ll get a roll call before I head out….I’ll def hit Sandpoint, and then towards NCNP, Port Townsend, Olympic, Newport, Bend…..All of you that reached out, beers on me. I retire day after tomorrow…….
    Awesome! Beat me by nine days. Have a great trip, you'll see some cool areas of the country.