Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Hwy 550N is quiet and easy to start, then awesome mtns. from Durango to Grand Jct.
    North outta Fruita/Loma (MTB.!) on 139 over Douglas pass Thru Rangely, Dinosaur and over to Vernal then onto Hwy 191N up past Flaming Gorge and thru Rock springs on to Jackson. 800 miles ~15 hrs.

^This, except I have a soft spot for PInedale and up towards the Wind River range that merits a view.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Did I miss what are you bringing for toys? Is there a kayak involved? While not as direct, heading further north in WA to get to Hwy 20 further east (Usk, Metaline Falls) starts that route along a pretty section next to the river. Maybe not as good as following the Clark Fork west for a late spring sunset, but it'll do.

+1 to meeting up in Sandpoint if you come through.
    Last edited by jono; 07-31-2021 at 09:11 PM.

Ever been to Crater Lake? If not, maybe do Bend -> Crater Lake -> Bandon Dunes. If you golf, definitely hit Bandon. Yes, it is expensive, but you’ll remember the round the rest of your life. If you don’t golf, it is still worth hiking the trails around the course.

Pay no attention to the PCH haters.

I would not want to do this while pulling a trailer since the road can get pretty rough, but here is a more scenic add on to the Hwy 20 area near Winthrop. Expect washboarded gravel but cool high elevation hiking and camping at Tiffany Springs CG. No decent biking up there though. Tiffany Springs can also be reached in about an hour from Winthrop too.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Tona...48.4779232!3e0

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Ya, that idea might have been a little over ambitious......
    Summer is traffic, hot, all campsites taken (or that’s how it used to be). Come Columbus Day the weather is still nice but the crowds drop off.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post

Pay no attention to the PCH haters.
    PCH from Monterey to Santa Barbara is not worth it as part of a larger trip. Neither is A1A from Liggett to Marin County. The Oregon Coast is much nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Summer is traffic, hot, all campsites taken (or that’s how it used to be). Come Columbus Day the weather is still nice but the crowds drop off.
    Ya I hear you.......It’s a timing thing with the twins starting their junior year of high school......If nothing else, I’ll get good pics of the West burning.......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    ^This, except I have a soft spot for PInedale and up towards the Wind River range that merits a view.
    Indeed, and that stretch is the final leg of the route proposed. I consider that the easy finish. From RS To JH, via 191 is cake driving for a tired pilot and gives you excellent views of the Winds to the ENE.
    And with any luck, there's a storm brewing. Incredible lightning shows out there occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    PCH from Monterey to Santa Barbara is not worth it as part of a larger trip. Neither is A1A from Liggett to Marin County. The Oregon Coast is much nicer.
    I have to humbly disagree with this. Maybe you don't need to go all the way to Santa Barbara, but skipping Big Sur on an epic multi week trip to the area would be a shame.

Not sure what you mean by A1A. There’s highway 101 that goes through Leggett. Agreed the drive is boring from there south.

Which is why I recommend, if time is available, take hwy 1 from Leggett to Mendocino and down the coast to Bay Area. It will take you 3x longer but the coastal scenery is incredible - better than Southern OR coast between Bandon and Gold Beach IMV

Seaside sucks, why are you going out of the way to get there? If you must go there, a bit south of there has plenty of cool places. So if you head south from there, where you cut over from the coast to Bend from depends on if you prefer to bike, hike, or whatever. 26 to PDX is the worst option.

Big Sur not worth it? Geez, you sound like my daughter when I took her on that trip. Yeah, once you get down below that, cutting over to 101 or even I5 is OK with me. I have no problem with avoiding LA as much as possible. But I see value in doing the entire PCH as a bucket list item, provided you have the time.

Big Sur is the first thing I think of when someone mentions the PCH. There’s also a section of the PCH up in Northern California where the highway hangs on the side of a sheer cliff way up in the air, and then does a steep drop down to near sea level. It’s scarier than Big Sur, in my opinion. I think it is near Hardy if I remember right, but it was a while ago.

Forget Cheyenne, Cawker City Kansas is where you want to go!

http://www.kansastravel.org/balloftwine.htm

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Forget Cheyenne, Cawker City Kansas is where you want to go!

http://www.kansastravel.org/balloftwine.htm
    Bwahahahahaha ........Thanks no!
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Not sure what you mean by A1A. There’s highway 101 that goes through Leggett. Agreed the drive is boring from there south.

Which is why I recommend, if time is available, take hwy 1 from Leggett to Mendocino and down the coast to Bay Area. It will take you 3x longer but the coastal scenery is incredible - better than Southern OR coast between Bandon and Gold Beach IMV
    101 South of Leggett is not PCH. At Leggett, PCH, which is SR1 not A1A as I thought. although, I swear there are signs out there that say A1A. I’ve done that road twice on MC. Car would be brutal.

For my .02.. Head East from Eureka through Shasta Trinity to Lassen and down through Tahoe. That’s really beautiful country. A must see.

Is cougar hot springs (OR) still fun?

I've driven long distances on pch several times. The longest single run (over multiple days) was Newport, OR to Ventura. It was in the late 90's and it was awesome. Dirt dove a fair bit. Also slept at vista points in the back of a pickup on pch without incidents, too, but 20 years ago. Is that still legal?

Suggest checking out sinkyone wilderness state park in south Humboldt county. It's the southern part of "the lost coast." If i rememebr right, there's a nice, remote campground at the southern end of the wilderness area (usal beach campground) that's pretty amazing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

If it hasn't already been said, forget July and do the trip in late September/early October. Why would you want to spend a ton of time driving around during the hottest, most unpleasant part of the year?

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    set up a gofundme for beer supply? You're gonna get super dehydrated doing all that driving through hot locales.
    Would add peyote for the desert & shroomies for the woods. You did say vision quest right?

Sounds like a great trip!!
    27° 18°

^^ what he said

no one is helping with the vision quest part of the trip
    I suggest lots of drugs with different values road trips are all about ups and downs
    you should bring a friend though, you don't want to be that guy who is peeling their face off at a national park ranting about space aliens, you need someone to help keep yourself together
    not sure I would want to redo any of the road trips I did in my late teens early 20's but it was steller fun

Are you volunteering to be Seano's wingman?

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Are you volunteering to be Seano's shaman?
    FIFY
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    If it hasn't already been said, forget July and do the trip in late September/early October. Why would you want to spend a ton of time driving around during the hottest, most unpleasant part of the year?
    Again, it's a timing thing with my daughters....Thing One had a really hard time last year, and I want to be there for her in particular....

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    Would add peyote for the desert & shroomies for the woods. You did say vision quest right?

Sounds like a great trip!!
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    ^^ what he said

no one is helping with the vision quest part of the trip
    I suggest lots of drugs with different values road trips are all about ups and downs
    you should bring a friend though, you don't want to be that guy who is peeling their face off at a national park ranting about space aliens, you need someone to help keep yourself together
    not sure I would want to redo any of the road trips I did in my late teens early 20's but it was steller fun
    Yeah man, for the first time in 24 years, I am not subject to randoms, so I will be bringing some.......things.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Are you volunteering to be Seano's wingman?
    Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    FIFY
    Lulz......
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Is cougar hot springs (OR) still fun?
    It’s closed due to wildfires in 2018 and last year

Suggest checking out sinkyone wilderness state park in south Humboldt county. It's the southern part of "the lost coast." If i rememebr right, there's a nice, remote campground at the southern end of the wilderness area (usal beach campground) that's pretty amazing.
    Usal Beach is pretty amazing but that last 5 miles of dirt road can be a little sketchy. And bring your own water.

If you want to see Lost Coast, recommend access at Petrolia. There’s a campground at mouth of Mattole River, and you will drive past the westernmost point in the continental US.

101 South of Leggett is not PCH. At Leggett, PCH, which is SR1 not A1A as I thought. although, I swear there are signs out there that say A1A. I’ve done that road twice on MC. Car would be brutal.

For my .02.. Head East from Eureka through Shasta Trinity to Lassen and down through Tahoe. That’s really beautiful country. A must see.
    I kind of agree with this. Lassen is pretty damn cool and connecting with 49 to Tahoe is great.

The PCH from Pt Arena south to Jennings is better than the Big Sur coast imho. I know BS gets way more recognition, and there are some truly stunning parts, it is a long slow drive. It is not uncommon to move at 20mph for miles on end during the summer. You know the people who want to take in the view but never ever want to pull over and let someone get ahead.

Can see how long you actually will be on the road. If you hit up Santa Cruz and it is after August 1, shoot me a PM if you want to surf. I’ve got boards.

If you need local camping spots or trail advice, shoot me up regardless. Sounds like a killer trip.

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    I am speechless. Thanks, Djongo. Here's what I have so far, based on you rad Mags' advice. I need to tweak the last part of getting to Bend. VERY rough draft:

https://www.mapquest.com/directions/.../to/us/or/bend

Edit to add the Teton to Whitefish part is FUBAR'd too......I will be taking the Seely/ Swan Valley route as recommended by RootSkier....
    One added suggestion, will add time but avoid the shitshow of I-5 traffic and see the Olympic Peninsula plus a ferry ride on Puget Sound. From Hwy 20, go to Port Townsend and either go south or west on 101 and visit the Olympic NP. Some cool stuff out there. Also, did I mention, you avoid the I-5 shitshow?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sedr...48.1170387!3e0