Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thoughts/Recs/Critiques of My Planned Roadtrip- VisionQuest 2021

Alright Mags, I'm planning a three week solo road trip end of July. My tentative (extremely tentative) itinerary goes like this:

Day One- Albuquerque to Cheyenne, camp someplace outside of Cheyenne
    Day Two- Drive to JH. Camp at Bridger- Teton NF. Plan on at least a couple days here.
    Day ?- head to Whitefish, MT. I have family there. Hang out 2-3 days
    Day ?- Head west. Really am looking at North Cascades. Any camping beta much appreciated.
    Day ?- Head towards Bend, Oregon. Buddy of mine lives there.

After that, I'm torn between going S, down the PCH to San Diego, or SE through the Utah desert..... Like I said, I will be solo. Driving stock Taco. Still contemplating various sleeping options, i.e. rooftop tent, bed tent, camper shell, or small teardrop. Any thoughts, recommendations, tips are greatly appreciated. What says the collective? Thanks in advance.

-Seano
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

only stopping to say Cheyenne is a windy shithole.

Good luck, sounds like a rad trip.

Do you have a campsite picked out/set for JH?
    It’s incredibly competitive, shall we say.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Suggest leaving the Flathead on US Route 2 to Sandpoint, then keep a high line on WA SR20 all the way to Whidbey Island, camping along the way. Some amazing country up there that is easily overlooked by just blasting through EWA on I-90.

Edit: if you're keen on seeing the N Cascades.
    Last edited by Norseman; 06-16-2021 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Do you have a campsite picked out/set for JH?
    It’s incredibly competitive, shall we say.
    The B-T NF website says first come, first serve......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

PCH is an exhausting drive. Go from Bend to the Oregon Coast through RNP.

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Day One- Albuquerque to Cheyenne, camp someplace outside of Cheyenne
    Head about 30-40min west of Cheyenne and camp at Vedauwoo or Happy Jack areas. Opportunities for mountain biking and/or climbing if you want to break up the drive a bit.

Rolling solo I'd go with camper shell/bed platform for sure, but would also bring a tent to set up to hold my campsite for a couple days if necessary (and to store stuff in).

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    i didn't get to camp there due to a car troubles on my drive in, but parvo put me on to an awesome area up past Lower Slide Lake. the campsites along the Gros Ventre were at about 1/3 capacity but it was a weekday.
    Where is that exactly?
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

You are in Whitefish so Glacier is a no brainer.

Then south to McCall or Lewiston.

The over to Enterprise/Joseph or Baker City via the Wallowa Mountain Loop depending on whether you go to McCall or not. Plenty of camping, hiking and fishing to do.

Then onto Bend. Plenty of ways to get there from Joseph depending on how many hours/days you want it to take.

For example: Joseph- Baker City via Wallowa Mountain Loop. Check out the old dredge in Sumpter. Gas up in John Day. Head south and camp on the Malheur or head west to Bend and camp on Ochoco summit.

For gods sake don’t just drive 90 to 395 to 97 unless you are in a rush.

Curious about why you're going to Cheyenne?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Head about 30-40min west of Cheyenne and camp at Vedauwoo or Happy Jack areas. Opportunities for mountain biking and/or climbing if you want to break up the drive a bit.

Rolling solo I'd go with camper shell/bed platform for sure, but would also bring a tent to set up to hold my campsite for a couple days if necessary (and to store stuff in).
    Awesome thanks! Bringing the MTB for sure.
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    That's a good question. I just googled Albuquerque to Jackson and going up through UT or taking 285 straight north are both faster than going up I-25, and would both be more pleasant drives.

Alright Mags, I'm planning a three week solo road trip end of July. My tentative (extremely tentative) itinerary goes like this:

Day ?- Head west. Really am looking at North Cascades. Any camping beta much appreciated.
    Hartz Pass.
    Day ?- Head towards Bend, Oregon. Buddy of mine lives there.
    Don't miss the Wallowas.
    Going South from Bend, go West at Chemult. See Crater Lake, Diamond Lake, Toketee Falls, Steamboat Inn, Umpqua River.

If along the coast, Gold Beach is sweet, eat at Anna's By The Sea if you like fancy food.

After that, I'm torn between going S, down the PCH to San Diego, or SE through the Utah desert..... Like I said, I will be solo. Driving stock Taco. Still contemplating various sleeping options, i.e. rooftop tent, bed tent, camper shell, or small teardrop. Any thoughts, recommendations, tips are greatly appreciated. What says the collective? Thanks in advance.

-Seano
    Steens Mountain.
    Klamath River.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    That was just an initial thought of straightest shot to get into Wyoming....I am open to other suggestions/ routes to get me to the Tetons....

Edit- Just saw adrenelated's post. 285 it is. Thanks.
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

That was just an initial thought of straightest shot to get into Wyoming....I am open to other suggestions/ routes to get me to the Tetons....

Edit- Just saw adrenelated's post. 285 it is. Thanks.
    Yeah, I'd go ABQ up to Steamboat via 285/24/9/40 etc, camp somewhere up there, do a ride near Steamboat in the morning, then continue up to Jackson.

Where is that exactly?
    Yeah can we get lat/long and driving directions please?

Seano, how long is this trip in total, 2 weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Yeah can we get lat/long and driving directions please?

Seano, how long is this trip in total, 2 weeks?
    2-3 weeks......Once I hit Bend, I'll be in a "wherever my nose takes me" mode......
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Gonna be a little hot in the desert around then, I'd go to the ocean myself. Newport is almost straight west from Bend and it's a funky little town, then I'd head south from there.

Definitely give some thought to driving 20 between Bend and Corvallis if you go that route.

22 is probably faster but a big chunk of it is burned out. Unless you want to see that…

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Gonna be a little hot in the desert around then, I'd go to the ocean myself. Newport is almost straight west from Bend and it's a funky little town, then I'd head south from there.
    This. The UT desert in late July is not a place you want to be unless you plan on becoming a piece of human jerky.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    You are in Whitefish so Glacier is a no brainer.
    Ticketed entry on Going to the Sun Road this year for the first time. Glacier is going to be a fucking circus this summer, even more than usual.

I just looked at a Google Maps for the drive from Jackson > Whitefish. It suggests going through Helmville/Ovando/and then up Highway 83 through the Seeley/Swan Valley in Montana, which is good because I was going to recommend this even if it was off route. The Seeley/Swan is one of the absolute coolest places/drives in MT, or anywhere. Super bad-ass mountains on all sides and there is TONS of camping in the area, and good opportunities to easily get into the alpine. Keep bear spray close at all times. Seeley Lake is the only town that actually has any services, so get whatever you might need there.

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    This. The UT desert in late July is not a place you want to be unless you plan on becoming a piece of human jerky.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Ticketed entry on Going to the Sun Road this year for the first time. Glacier is going to be a fucking circus this summer, even more than usual.

I just looked at a Google Maps for the drive from Jackson > Whitefish. It suggests going through Helmville/Ovando/and then up Highway 83 through the Seeley/Swan Valley in Montana, which is good because I was going to recommend this even if it was off route. The Seeley/Swan is one of the absolute coolest places/drives in MT, or anywhere. Super bad-ass mountains on all sides and there is TONS of camping in the area, and good opportunities to easily get into the alpine. Keep bear spray close at all times. Seeley Lake is the only town that actually has any services, so get whatever you might need there.
    Awesome! Thank you!
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Don't miss the Wallowas.
    Going South from Bend, go West at Chemult. See Crater Lake, Diamond Lake, Toketee Falls, Steamboat Inn, Umpqua River.

If along the coast, Gold Beach is sweet, eat at Anna's By The Sea if you like fancy food.
    This, except I don’t know Anna’s

The drive from Bandon to the Cali border is pretty fucking spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Well thanks KQ Debbie Downer...Lol. The only NP I really want to go into is North Cascades.....I'm happy to camp in the general vicinity of the others (GT, Glacier, etc.......)
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier