Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 293
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Movin' On
    Posts
    2,854
    Suggest swapping Cheyenne for Lander. There is plenty of camping and MTBing near Lander, you'll have a much better time.

    It's also possible to do Steamboat (as others have suggested) and Lander the next day.

    Finding camping near Jackson mid summer is somewhere between very hard and impossible. See incoming PM for details on alternatives.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    EWA
    Posts
    19,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Hartz Pass.

    Don't miss the Wallowas.
    Eagle Cap Wilderness (OR)
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis


    Kindness is a bridge between all people

    Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Spokane/Schweitzer
    Posts
    6,408
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I just looked at a Google Maps for the drive from Jackson > Whitefish. It suggests going through Helmville/Ovando/and then up Highway 83 through the Seeley/Swan Valley in Montana, which is good because I was going to recommend this even if it was off route. The Seeley/Swan is one of the absolute coolest places/drives in MT, or anywhere. Super bad-ass mountains on all sides and there is TONS of camping in the area, and good opportunities to easily get into the alpine. Keep bear spray close at all times. Seeley Lake is the only town that actually has any services, so get whatever you might need there.
    Second on the Swan River Valley through Seeley Lake. I've done a 225 mile bike ride through this a number of times called Tour of the Swan River Valley and spent the night camped at Swan Lake. Ride was from Missoula up through SRV then along Flathead to Polson and south back to Missoula. The stretch from Missoula to Flathead is awesome through the Mission Mountains. Beautiful country. Polson to Missoula is, bleh.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,220
    set up a gofundme for beer supply? You're gonna get super dehydrated doing all that driving through hot locales.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    18,249
    Whatever route you take, this is the soundtrack you need.

    https://www.amazon.com/Vision-Quest-.../dp/B000P1O8GG
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    It's Full of Stars....
    Posts
    3,809
    Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    set up a gofundme for beer supply? You're gonna get super dehydrated doing all that driving through hot locales.
    Haha that's not a bad idea......

    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Whatever route you take, this is the soundtrack you need.

    https://www.amazon.com/Vision-Quest-.../dp/B000P1O8GG
    Fuck yeah!
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SE USA
    Posts
    2,896
    strongly recommend sumter SC just marginally out of the way. if you hurry you can beat the crowd.

    if not Dothan AL is a reasonable proximation.
    "Can't you see..."

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Suggest leaving the Flathead on US Route 2 to Sandpoint, then keep a high line on WA SR20 all the way to Whidbey Island, camping along the way. Some amazing country up there that is easily overlooked by just blasting through EWA on I-90.

    Edit: if you're keen on seeing the N Cascades.
    This is some good advice. Kootenai NF is rugged and beautiful. You could also check out Bonners Ferry, Sandpoint and maybe even drop down to CDA before you jet over to WA. Should be lots of spots to camp and fish if you are into that kind of thing.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Cackalacky
    Posts
    2,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    strongly recommend sumter SC just marginally out of the way.
    echoing this.
    great small time charm but with the violent crime of a city tens of times its size!
    you don't want no smoke.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,775
    Xwhatever on on helmville/ovando/swan seeley. Such insanely beautiful country and pretty awesome fishing as well. Camping is easy and def be bear aware.

    Also fuck Cheyenne(although the vedawoo/happy jack are good suggestions). My wife grew up there and we always end up in steamboat if we visit the inlaws.

    Not sure how bike parks interest you but between Disco, Whitefish, and Silver are worth checking out and also new one up Lakeside if it's open by then.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    panhandle locdog
    Posts
    7,151
    Quote Originally Posted by cspringsposer View Post
    This is some good advice. Kootenai NF is rugged and beautiful. You could also check out Bonners Ferry, Sandpoint and maybe even drop down to CDA before you jet over to WA. Should be lots of spots to camp and fish if you are into that kind of thing.
    If you're going to head through Sandpoint, hit me up. I can point you in the direction of good camping, and also point you towards some fun rides/take you on a ride or 2. At very least, grab a beer.

    And I 100% concur on Norseman's suggestion regarding routing - SR20 over Sherman Pass is a very overlooked area with great dispersed camping and fantastic mountain biking (if you're in to alpine slogs.)

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,484
    Seano I'm in Winthrop, WA, so on the E side of NCNP. Shoot me a PM as you get your plans figured and I can point you in the direction of some cool hikes or bike routes. Plus if you end up with a trailer and need to drop it off for a few nights while you adventure I've got a driveway with some space in it. Or worse case I'll grab a beer too.

    I agree with Norseman and TAFKALS, Sherman Pass is a pretty cool area and cruising from there to Winthrop/NCNP is cooler and less traveled than some of the other routes.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    It's Full of Stars....
    Posts
    3,809
    Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    If you're going to head through Sandpoint, hit me up. I can point you in the direction of good camping, and also point you towards some fun rides/take you on a ride or 2. At very least, grab a beer.

    And I 100% concur on Norseman's suggestion regarding routing - SR20 over Sherman Pass is a very overlooked area with great dispersed camping and fantastic mountain biking (if you're in to alpine slogs.)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Seano I'm in Winthrop, WA, so on the E side of NCNP. Shoot me a PM as you get your plans figured and I can point you in the direction of some cool hikes or bike routes. Plus if you end up with a trailer and need to drop it off for a few nights while you adventure I've got a driveway with some space in it. Or worse case I'll grab a beer too.

    I agree with Norseman and TAFKALS, Sherman Pass is a pretty cool area and cruising from there to Winthrop/NCNP is cooler and less traveled than some of the other routes.
    You guys rock! Beers will be on me for sure....I will keep updating this thread as things get solidified....Thanks everyone for the beta and keep it coming!
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SE USA
    Posts
    2,896
    Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    the violent crime of a city tens of times its size!
    "with incredible civic pride Marshall notes Sumter was SC's entrant into the most miserable place to live by state. "
    "Can't you see..."

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    10,722
    If you get skunked on getting into Glacier National Park while in Whitefish, there's some nice areas just west of the park that'll almost certainly be uncrowded. Up past Polebridge, you can drive forest service roads over to the 10 lakes area near Eureka, staying within spitting distance of the Canadian border for most of it. Not quite as dramatic as inside the park, but nice country, and lots of dispersed camping options. Bring bear spray.

    From Eureka, you could drop down RT 37 to Libby, and continue on with the prior (excellent) suggestion of taking SR20 across Washington.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,799
    If you are looking for a conveniently scenic (albeit popular) hike to stretch the legs, I'd recommend maple pass on hwy 20.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    978
    Bad ass spot and view (if this link works). The tour divide route goes past this point and I've stopped there (by bike) a few times. I assume you could drive up Rice Ridge road (but haven't done it myself).
    https://www.google.com/maps/@47.3421...13.5238012,15z

    from there, ride due east and another remote/beautiful view.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@47.3374....5159801,14.5z

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down on Electric Avenue
    Posts
    2,623
    Ok, get your map out. Getting to JH from ABQ in a day is a long haul no matter how you go.

    No brainer hwy driving is I-25N to I-80W, no doubt, and that even gets busy from Csprings to Cheyenne.

    More directly and way more scenic and cool is going due north thru CO. Also, by def, slower. Easier on the rig though.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hwy 550N is quiet and easy to start, then awesome mtns. from Durango to Grand Jct.
    North outta Fruita/Loma (MTB.!) on 139 over Douglas pass Thru Rangely, Dinosaur and over to Vernal then onto Hwy 191N up past Flaming Gorge and thru Rock springs on to Jackson. 800 miles ~15 hrs.

    Hwy. 285 is more like the low elevation approach, gonna be on the valley floor for a long ways.
    A little I25 to start but then it's a sweet stretch north onto 285; miles and miles of desert, sage, pinon, juniper.

    Great sand dunes NPP is just NE of Alamosa, cool park but likely blazing then.

    From Salida to Craig, you'll be in mtns. and twisties; getting off of 285 and onto 24 at Buena V.
    High desert from Craig up to I80 for some WY/CO border desolation then west to RS and up 191 to JH. More miles but less time they say...830mi. in ~14 hrs.

    I'd suggest 550/50/191 as it's easy to start and finish with lotsa goods in the middle.

    Does your A/C crank?

    I can style you out with all of the local camping. The forest is FC/FServed but that doesn't make it as easy as you'd think.

    All the locs here have a few favorite spots.
    You could park in the driveway or pitch a tent on my back lawn if ya get foiled.
    Lotsa open space if ya know where to look.

    Take a gondy up and camp on the village, shhhhh.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    It's Full of Stars....
    Posts
    3,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Ok, get your map out. Getting to JH from ABQ in a day is a long haul no matter how you go.

    No brainer hwy driving is I-25N to I-80W, no doubt, and that even gets busy from Csprings to Cheyenne.

    More directly and way more scenic and cool is going due north thru CO. Also, by def, slower. Easier on the rig though.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hwy 550N is quiet and easy to start, then awesome mtns. from Durango to Grand Jct.
    North outta Fruita/Loma (MTB.!) on 139 over Douglas pass Thru Rangely, Dinosaur and over to Vernal then onto Hwy 191N up past Flaming Gorge and thru Rock springs on to Jackson. 800 miles ~15 hrs.

    Hwy. 285 is more like the low elevation approach, gonna be on the valley floor for a long ways.
    A little I25 to start but then it's a sweet stretch north onto 285; miles and miles of desert, sage, pinon, juniper.

    Great sand dunes NPP is just NE of Alamosa, cool park but likely blazing then.

    From Salida to Craig, you'll be in mtns. and twisties; getting off of 285 and onto 24 at Buena V.
    High desert from Craig up to I80 for some WY/CO border desolation then west to RS and up 191 to JH. More miles but less time they say...830mi. in ~14 hrs.

    I'd suggest 550/50/191 as it's easy to start and finish with lotsa goods in the middle.

    Does your A/C crank?

    I can style you out with all of the local camping. The forest is FC/FServed but that doesn't make it as easy as you'd think.

    All the locs here have a few favorite spots.
    You could park in the driveway or pitch a tent on my back lawn if ya get foiled.
    Lotsa open space if ya know where to look.

    Take a gondy up and camp on the village, shhhhh.
    I am speechless. Thanks, Djongo. Here's what I have so far, based on you rad Mags' advice. I need to tweak the last part of getting to Bend. VERY rough draft:

    https://www.mapquest.com/directions/.../to/us/or/bend

    Edit to add the Teton to Whitefish part is FUBAR'd too......I will be taking the Seely/ Swan Valley route as recommended by RootSkier....
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    232
    If you get into Glacier before 6am you don't need a ticket. Did it last weekend to bike going to the sun.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    6,857
    I assume that this is to celebrate retirement? If so, I'd like to buy you a beer if schedules can line up.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    PCH is an exhausting drive.
    This bears repeating. PCH from OR down to San Diego is a multi-day drive of twisting, turning road. That and finding camping along the way will be extremely tough. Maybe focus on a few sections of PCH to hit because it's a great drive, but you probably don't need 1,000+ miles of it. Hit 101 or 5 for a while.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    It's Full of Stars....
    Posts
    3,809
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I assume that this is to celebrate retirement? If so, I'd like to buy you a beer if schedules can line up.
    Correct. Last day is June 30th (two weeks!!!!!) 24 years......Crazy. I will definitely hit you up ZZZ.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    It's Full of Stars....
    Posts
    3,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    This bears repeating. PCH from OR down to San Diego is a multi-day drive of twisting, turning road. That and finding camping along the way will be extremely tough. Maybe focus on a few sections of PCH to hit because it's a great drive, but you probably don't need 1,000+ miles of it. Hit 101 or 5 for a while.
    Ya, that idea might have been a little over ambitious......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    30,433
    Hit me up if you want a trail tour, Seano.
    I also know some camping spots.
    Forum Cross Pollinator

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •