Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    From the “terse” ranger article linked from that one. West buttress 5/30/21 [/ATTACH]392272[/ATTACH]
    Plenty of people up there who are a danger to themselves and others, probably worse now than it used to be, but ultimately nothing new. Nor is the line in that photo, when I was there it was typically caused by guided groups doing a move to 17, and going very very slowly up the fixed lines. Once the traffic jam starts it takes forever to clear. 7 years prior in worse weather:

"High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

looks like a nice place to get away from it all.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    From the “terse” ranger article linked from that one. West buttress 5/30/21 Attachment 392272
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Miners_climb_Chilkoot.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	392273

Chilkoot Pass, Klondike Gold Rush, 1898

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Brian Castner's book 'Stampede' has great account of Jack London's Chilkoot Pass crossing in 1897

Throughout the journey, all the way from Dyea, the Chilkoot Pass had remained out of sight, always around the next bend, behind a ridge, a false summit. Finally, at the Scales the valley could tighten no further. The stream that had cut the gorge was reduced to its trickling birth, and upon attaining a final lip, London at last gained entrance to the hidden upper sanctum of the Chilkoot.

He stood on the edge of a small basin, and surrounding him in a broad arc the sharp peaks formed an amphitheater, the headwall of the pass. “Ice-marred ribs of earth,” he called them, “naked and strenuous in their nakedness.” Ahead, the object of all their efforts and desires, the last hurdle, a nearly vertical boulder field known as the Golden Stairs.

All the challenges of the Chilkoot condensed into this one final tableau, a rope of men upon the mountainside, battered by the perpetual winds off the Pacific, crawling on hands and knees up the sheer sides of the bowl. In between stone buttresses and couloirs ran two chutes of loose rock, the stones tipping and wobbling as the stampeders moved from perch to perch. London joined the line. Above, he saw only legs and soles of boots. The view over his shoulder, or between his knees below, was enough to make any man giddy. The rock was cold and sucked the warmth from his hands until they cramped and behind him the line of climbers in the canyon fell away into mists, their world reduced to this theater-in-the-round in the sky.

It took London a full day to relay his outfit over this final leg of the Chilkoot Pass.

The cloven notch that formed the pass’s breach was frigid and damp, banks of fog blown in relentlessly. London figured he was a thousand feet above timberline, on the mountain’s very backbone. It was nearly lifeless at the summit, only the hardiest green, the meanest sort of lichen and moss tucked into corners. A dead land of rocks in the clouds.

But the view into the land beyond was breathtaking. True, the path finally, mercifully, descended, but it was more than that. The trail started among bare boulders and spectacular translucent lakes, and then progressed into rough tundra, then taller club moss and horsetails, then real grasses, bushes of blueberries, life evolving and growing more complex before his eyes as he worked his way down. The earliest days of creation were displayed in those few miles. It was a magnificent country, and fresh as the first morning.

London packed among unnamed creeks and braided channels, the most remote headwaters of the Yukon River, cold and steely blue. As they dropped from lake to lake, the forest returned, first Krummholz at the top of a long whitewater gorge, later conifers at the bottom. Finally there was enough wood for a proper warming fire, his first in two and a half weeks.

London spent eight days in this descent, packing his eight hundred pounds in his short steady bursts. On September 8, 1897, he reached the sandy shores of Lake Lindeman, the end of the long carry. The lake was the color of moldy bread, and when the sun dipped below the western peaks the air was wicked cold.
    Great book

Quote Originally Posted by ptavv View Post
    Fair point. 500 meters isn't nothing. Just wanted to point out that the barometric pressure bulge doesn't make mountains like Denali comparable to Himalayan 8,000 meter peaks. The most likely physiologic (as opposed to psychologic) effect that contributes to making Himalayan peaks "feel lower" is that the acclimatization period for Himalayan peaks is (almost always) substantially longer, if only because access is much more difficult.
    I think that’s more a matter of choice than infrastructure now; you can drive to the north side base camp of Everest now or take a chopper to the southern side if you wanted.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Miners_climb_Chilkoot.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	392273

Funny pic. What camera were you using back then?

Camera? There were no cameras then. I painted it. (I've often wondered why they didn't take the tram at the top of the pass.)

that tram cost a lot of money to send your goods up on - most of them didn't have the money after buying all their required gear in Dyea - it was a sellers paradise there and Soapy Smith knew he had a captive customer base.

Just one of those situations where people got rich servicing the dreamers more so than the dreamers themselves did (whether they were selling coffee, shovels, tram access, or tramp access)

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    that tram cost a lot of money to send your goods up on - most of them didn't have the money after buying all their required gear in Dyea - it was a sellers paradise there and Soapy Smith knew he had a captive customer base.

Just one of those situations where people got rich servicing the dreamers more so than the dreamers themselves did (whether they were selling coffee, shovels, tram access, or tramp access)
    For sure there were strange things done in the midnight sun.....

Yes indeed. And there still is to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_it View Post
    For sure there were strange things done in the midnight sun.....
    One of my favorite poems.

So this guy just randomly hooked up with another guy while climbing Denali? Then bailed on him when he got sick and asked for a heli ride instead of descending after the random fell and was seriously injured?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Wow, that’s a morbid book. I bet it was riveting.
    Yellowstone has it's own edition, a pleasant read.

One of my favorite poems.
    My 9 year old memorized it and presented it to her 4th grade class last year. I was impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Camera? There were no cameras then. I painted it. (I've often wondered why they didn't take the tram at the top of the pass.)
    No cameras in 1898? What was Mathew Brady using in the Civil War?

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    No cameras in 1898? What was Mathew Brady using in the Civil War?
    The Wright brothers flew in 1903, and there are photos of that too.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

I bet you guys also believe that Armstrong walked on the moon. People are so gullible. The so called Brady pictures of the Civil War were staged with reenactors. The pictures of Lincoln--that's Raymond Massey and Daniel Day Lewis. The Wright Bros--done with models. And anyway airplanes can't really fly--it's an illusion, like water flowing uphill at the Word Famous Mystery Spot.

Those stampeders were crisis actors on behalf of big gold. Wake up people!

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Those stampeders were crisis actors on behalf of big gold. Wake up people!
    You mean sheeple

The last stop before going over the pass in Old Goat's painting is called "Sheep Camp"

https://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/sheep-camp.htm

Study it out! Do your own research before believing the lies!

birds aren't real.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Uh, trigger warning for the Colorado mags?
    Tell me about all those 14ers with 7000' gains too.
    Without a high clearance vehicle castle is a 7k day. Probably pretty uncommon though, unless one is skiing it. If you're talking skiing though, there are a fair number.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.