Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I have two ac/furnace package units on this house that are 20 years old. This year is the roof and solar, the hvac is likely next. During the 108 days here the main unit was struggling to keep up.
    Yeah that's how mine was, struggling to barely put out tepid air. Not sure of its age but I'd say it was over 20. Had to use fans to keep things circulating.

Put a metal roof on year after I bought the place. So love it. Should outlast me.

Would love solar. I've got 4 acres over the top of me that would be perfect for it
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Keep the closet door open so you don’t overheat. I hear there’s a heat wave
    Naw. Not here. Cool foggy mornings and warm sunny afternoons. But it is a bit dry. Got to keep the gears oiled.

Had a little storm cell come thru Bend yesterday. Dumped a little hail

Sorry can’t figure out out to embed the video
    https://ktvz.com/videos/local-videos...yd-acres-road/

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Had a little storm cell come thru Bend yesterday. Dumped a little hail

Sorry can’t figure out out to embed the video
    https://ktvz.com/videos/local-videos...yd-acres-road/
    Saw that on the local storm chaser feed. Crazy.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

We do not have AC and I was planning on taking next week off to bike, golf, and work on house projects before the real vacation the following week. Fuck. Just went and spent $800 on two portable AC units at ACE. I hope these fuckers work. We have all awning and casement windows so the window units are a no-go.

Central air was going to be a "probably" on the big remodel we are doing this winter but now it is an absolutely fucking do it line item.

Root, as others have suggested here, those mini split units can be the ticket if you're not trying to cool the entire home all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    We do not have AC and I was planning on taking next week off to bike, golf, and work on house projects before the real vacation the following week. Fuck. Just went and spent $800 on two portable AC units at ACE. I hope these fuckers work. We have all awning and casement windows so the window units are a no-go.

Central air was going to be a "probably" on the big remodel we are doing this winter but now it is an absolutely fucking do it line item.
    They will work, but note that they expel hot air out the window, which means more hot exterior air is pulled into your house. So the room they are in will be cooler, but the rest of the house might get hotter.

I seal mine to the window with blue painters tape.

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    They will work, but note that they expel hot air out the window, which means more hot exterior air is pulled into your house. So the room they are in will be cooler, but the rest of the house might get hotter.
    Huh? The expelled warm air will contribute to the rest of the house getting warmer? What have you been smoking? Anyways, those portables suck balls, but better than nuthin I suppose.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Huh? The expelled warm air will contribute to the rest of the house getting warmer? What have you been smoking? Anyways, those portables suck balls, but better than nuthin I suppose.
    Unless it is a dual tube model portable air conditioners push hot air out of the unit out the window via a tube.

If air leaves the house via that tube, outside hot air is entering.

This is a widely known downside to using a portable air conditioner.

“ While a window AC uses outside air to cool the coils on the outdoor part of the unit, a portable AC uses conditioned air from the room it’s sitting in to cool the mechanicals. That creates negative pressure that causes warm, unconditioned air from nearby rooms or the outdoors to flow into the room you’re trying to keep cool.”

https://www.consumerreports.org/port...ot-of-hot-air/

“ While a window AC uses outside air to cool the coils on the outdoor part of the unit, a portable AC uses conditioned air from the room it’s sitting in to cool the mechanicals. That creates negative pressure that causes warm, unconditioned air from nearby rooms or the outdoors to flow into the room you’re trying to keep cool.”

https://www.consumerreports.org/port...ot-of-hot-air/
    Slightly different comment, but your shit is usually dead on so I am accepting explanation #2.

Unless it is a dual tube model portable air conditioners push hot air out of the unit out the window via a tube.
    Installed a dual tube model yesterday and it cranks. Just in time for 110°+ next week.

Whynter ARC-126MD.

Christ on a crutch, it feels like end times.............. 103°

NWS has a station in Issaquah at the same.

Unshaded temp sensor connected to my house thermostat showing 120.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Name:  Image1624751164.746011.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  157.7 KB

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

No shit!

My pup doesn't want to get further from the house than he can pee, poop and then get back under a fan or new piece of cool floor.

104 and now its blowing 20-30mph. One spark and we're done for. Freaking end times.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    No shit!

My pup doesn't want to get further from the house than he can pee, poop and then get back under a fan or new piece of cool floor.
    I know. Poor pups. My guy is a long hair with double coat. Walked him at 9:30 am when it was A brisk 92 degrees and he was panting pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I know. Poor pups. My guy is a long hair with double coat. Walked him at 9:30 am when it was A brisk 92 degrees and he was panting pretty bad.

I had a collie who we would shave completely bald every summer. The dog was embarrassed as fuck, for a day or so, but then loved it. Might be worth it with the summer we looking at now. Vibes to your pup!

Quote Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post
    I had a collie who we would shave completely bald every summer. The dog was embarrassed as fuck, for a day or so, but then loved it. Might be worth it with the summer we looking at now. Vibes to your pup!
    I cut him down to about a half inch coat every 3 months. Groomers booked solid here, July 13th soonest apt and booked that 3 weeks back.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post

Golden Bernese cross. Nearly jet black.

It'd probably be a few degrees warmer if he wasn't such a heat sink.

Perfect. Norw we're having a thunder and lightening storm.

Probably will be postinng in the wildfire thread shortly.

Icing on the f'ing cake.

Not bitching but areas to the north of me are getting pummeled by cloud to ground lighting.

It's too far away for me to hear the thunder so I'm guessing Ritzville up to Spokane. Bet there are more than a few fires.

I got some weather to bitch about - I'm pretty sick of the damned summertime surface winds up here in Boston.

I live outside the city and ride my bike into the city for work. when it started getting hotter I noticed that the wind would be blowing against me both in the morning AND on my way home in the afternoon. I thought how can this be? I felt like an old timer sayin' "we used to walk up hill both ways"... upon further investigation I found out that the wind does in fact change direction in the middle of the day.. it's related to the ocean/bay temperature and air pressure differentials along the coast; basically the wind blows inland in the morning when the land surface temps are cool from overnight lows, and then changes direction back out to sea as the land surface temps heat up throughout the day... the science of it all is pretty interesting but its a pain in the ass on my daily rides
    my head is perpetually in the clouds

Fack it's hot.
    That is all

Quote Originally Posted by Boosh View Post
    I got some weather to bitch about - I'm pretty sick of the damned summertime surface winds up here in Boston.

I live outside the city and ride my bike into the city for work. when it started getting hotter I noticed that the wind would be blowing against me both in the morning AND on my way home in the afternoon. I thought how can this be? I felt like an old timer sayin' "we used to walk up hill both ways"... upon further investigation I found out that the wind does in fact change direction in the middle of the day.. it's related to the ocean/bay temperature and air pressure differentials along the coast; basically the wind blows inland in the morning when the land surface temps are cool from overnight lows, and then changes direction back out to sea as the land surface temps heat up throughout the day... the science of it all is pretty interesting but its a pain in the ass on my daily rides
    Huh? I thought it was the exact opposite - heat during the day on land caused air to rise, creating a low pressure drawing off-shore winds onto land in the afternoon, and the opposite during the night/morning as the ocean is warmer than the land at that time. At least on the west coast. But then our ocean currents generally flow from the north to south, bring cold water south along the coast. Maybe that’s the difference?