Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

2021 DH Fantasy League

I literally sat on the shitter late Thursday night and took Daprela off my team. I CAUSED him to win!

Favorite runs:
    1. Bulldog
    2. Reece
    3. Daprela
    4. Minnaar
    5. Remi
    I would have felt differently about Daprela’s win if I hadn’t watched Troy, Laurie and some other VERY fast guys come down just before and after him. It was an inspired run.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Same, no one will doubt that guy now.. kids looking like a young Sam Hill.
    Les gets wss quality entertainment

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Despite the weather throwing a wrench, this was an awesome race to watch... much better than when weather fucked up Lourdes 2017. So many impressive runs in bad conditions, Daprela out of this world after the week he's been through. Enjoyed Eliot Jackson on commentary with Warner as well. Did ok on fantasy points. Minnaar was definitely impressive as well as Reece obviously.

I get why most venues are Europe but imagine some North American stops that are consistently dry in July/August (most of BC as an example) where it doesn't rain half way through men's elites.

/\ /\ /\
    The venue has to really want it. They pay for everything. UCI just shows up and makes demands. Not worth it for most North American bike parks. Not even on their radar.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    /\ /\ /\
    The venue has to really want it. They pay for everything. UCI just shows up and makes demands. Not worth it for most North American bike parks. Not even on their radar.

Yep have heard all that, even some Euro ones aren't interested (Champery, Schladming etc.) despite having legendary tracks. Has to make economic sense.

I've heard there's a potential business case for Whistler with the new track in Creekside. They have been pushing development of trails on that side of the mountain but it's still a bit of a ghost town, which also means the businesses/hotels on that side aren't as busy. Having a World Cup on either end of Crankworx could drive some decent tourism spending over that way. Hope it happens cuz I'd love to watch a race in person some day.

As good as they are to watch on the interwebz, its 10x more impressive seeing what they do live. Great for the upcoming racers to see. Theres a lot that can be learnt seeing whag the pros actually do. We need more n american world cups ajd a western canadian one. It might take the introduction of dh in the olympics to get it though. Sport canada and cycling canada should be helping rather than just the municipality doing it all with some provincial help

Any of you guys who can make it to SS should totally do it. It’s awesome.

Any of you guys who can make it to SS should totally do it. It’s awesome.

I'll be there again, if all goes well should be there in time to watch the first DH on Wednesday. Let's make sure we meet up for a beer!

If things go according to plan ……….. this guy will be in Italy

If things go according to plan ……….. this guy will be in Italy

I hope your plan works out.

Cause I'm supposed to go in October. Fingers crossed for the both of us.

Crossing all my toes for your guys. And for myself as I'm supposed to be in France.

As an aside, I'm now 2/2 for buddies whose bikes were destroyed while flying in an EVOC case, the best rated soft case out there.
    First one looked like this on arrival, the fork was done.

Name:  d7c4c824-681e-4246-8580-68ebd3ccdcc8.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  140.3 KB

The latest was an Ibis Mojo which came out of the case with 2 massive cracks in the top tube. Delta told him to "take it to the bike shop and have it fixed then invoice them for the repairs". Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
    I am shitting myself in fear already.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Crossing all my toes for your guys. And for myself as I'm supposed to be in France.

As an aside, I'm now 2/2 for buddies whose bikes were destroyed while flying in an EVOC case, the best rated soft case out there.

The latest was an Ibis Mojo which came out of the case with 2 massive cracks in the top tube. Delta told him to "take it to the bike shop and have it fixed then invoice them for the repairs". Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
    Damn it took me a bit to realize what had happened there. Holy fuck!

That might sway my thoughts of buying a bike when I get there ……

Wait til I get the pictures of the Ibis, I cried when I saw them. Buddy is moving to Switzerland for work, he flew out there in June to find a house and get a head start of exploring trails. Bike destroyed on arrival, he didn't even bring it back. He's hoping to find a frame in the US and fly it back there with him to rebuild. There are no bikes to be bought in Europe right now. Well, I only have direct intel about France where a friend is a mid-size Scott dealer and can't get a single bike in the shop.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Wow that’s brutal! They must be throwing that bag around/throwing bags on top of it from a height to do that kind of damage.

For what it’s worth I stalk some of the EWS riders on instagram and their travel photos show that they pretty much all use the Evoc bag. That probably doesn’t assuage your anxiety - not does it remedy these two broken bikes.

FWIW I have a couple of the Evoc bags but also have a Douchebag brand bike bag which is longer and has an internal roll cage that offers a bit more protection - works better for XL bikes / long low slack bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Damn it took me a bit to realize what had happened there. Holy fuck!
    yeah, i was thinking "that's an innovatively shaped carrier"
    dang

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Damn. This has be scared to fly my bike to Mexico in October. I have the DaKine bag now that I have used a few times without issue. I don't know if my newer 29er will fit in it.

Thinking that Douchebags one might actually be worth the cost. Damn spendy though.

I fly with my bike a lot. Got a XL patrol a couple years ago and did one trip with it in the Evoc bag - had to jam it in there. I was terrified the whole time it was gonna get trashed. Was kinda forced to get the Douchebag one at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post

Could you put a steel pipe wrapped in bubble wrap along the bottom to keep them from smashing it like that and still meet weight requirements? Do you know any luggage handlers at SLC you could give a case to at least get it on the plane safe? I think I might look into rental?

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Could you put a steel pipe wrapped in bubble wrap along the bottom to keep them from smashing it like that and still meet weight requirements? Do you know any luggage handlers at SLC you could give a case to at least get it on the plane safe? I think I might look into rental?
    Maybe? The weight is going to become an issue fast... I'm thinking Voile strapping section of 2x1 to the top & down tubes could help to protect from pointy impacts that could go straight through the carbon which is what happened to the Ibis. 1" thick wood isn't exactly impact proof but it beats carbon on that front and doesn't weight much.
    Makes me want to look into insuring the bike because apparently Delta makes you sign a limited liability waiver that basically says they're not responsible for breaking the bike they load into their planes. I can't even wrap my head around that one but I sure as fuck wish this kind of policy applied to my fuckups. Quick internet sleuthing shows insurance which would pay for the full value of the bike around $350 a year in premiums.

I've flown with an evoc bag a couple times and didn't have problems, guess it's luck of the draw on who the carrier and handlers are!

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    I've flown with an evoc bag a couple times and didn't have problems, guess it's luck of the draw on who the carrier and handlers are!
    Appears to be unfortunately. I'm tempted to stitch a huge FRAGILE sign across the front on the bag. Maybe add a zipped pouch with $100 for the luggage handlers to appease their wrath. Problem is the first guy gets the money and the dude at the next airport is pissed that the pouch is empty and kicks the bike in the dick as revenge.

Mastadon with another big push and toast close by. Things are gettiing tight. Lots of points available yet.
    That looked like some sick trails. Beautifully shaped raw tracks. I didnt see a ton of typical euro turns

I've been enjoying the EWS coverage more than the DH races this year. Some good battles going on. And it doesn't help that the DH races have been pretty affected by weather (which produces some incredible riding, but less good racing).

I rode La Thuille for a couple days a few years ago. Probably the best bike park I've ever ridden. Awesome views in every direction, and tons of steep, gnarly trails. And there's barely a jump, berm, or machine built anything in the whole place. And lots of the trails require a bit of a pedal from the top of the lift, so it's well suited to enduro-y bikes. Psyched to see more footage from the race, and looking forward to round 2 on Sunday.

Ya cant wait. The jumps and hips just looked like natural terrain selection when the trails were built. Dirt looked great too. I havent seen much of the steep that gets mentioned. Hopefully more of that in the race vids